Gamescom 2013: all the live-streams & games here

Friday, 16th August 2013 08:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Gamescom 2013 is bringing next-gen to Cologne. VG247′s Dave Cook re-caps all of the live-streams and games at the show.

It’s that time of year again, when the gaming press descends on Cologne to check out the biggest games the industry has to offer and ruin their colons with meat. Pat, Sam and I will be there all of next week to play the games, attend the showcases and speak with the developers.

To re-cap everything that we’ll be seeing at the show, I’ve compiled this handy guide to make sure you don’t miss a conference or title. (Note: we will be hosting Sony and EA’s streams in separate pages on the big day, so be sure to check back Tuesday!)

First up…

The conferences:

EA: Tuesday, August 20 – 3pm UK / 4pm Europe / 7am Pacific

We know that EA is bringing at least Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Need for Speed: The Rivals, FIFA 14 and Command & Conquer to gamescom following the publisher’s blog on the matter.

The publisher has made a bit of noise about The Sims 4, which it said will be revealed in full at gamescom, and our money is on an appearance during the EA conference itself.

We’re also expecting to hear more about Dragon Age: Inquisition at the show following its big reveal in this month’s issue of Game Informer, but we’ll find out at the show.

Sony: Tuesday, August 20 – 6pm UK / 7pm Europe / 10am Pacific

Sony has already confirmed that its gamescom event will focus on PS4, and we’re hoping to hear a solid release date for the console during the show. UPDATE: Looks like that will happen, yes.

There’s also the little matter of this rumoured PS4 and PS Vita bundle that may or may not make an appearance. Steph and I recently called round some retailers to ask if it was a real bundle and they had no clue what we were talking about, so it seems unlikely.

It seems likely that games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, inFamous: Second Son, Driveclub, The Order: 1886 will be there in some form although we can’t say for certain yet. We’re still waiting for that LittleBigPlanet 3 announcement too.

Who and what?

Microsoft: Xbox One will be the company’s big focus at gamescom and if rumours are to be believed Microsoft’s presence will yield at least one new game announcement. Gamers seem to think it’s either Crackdown 3 or Fable 4. Truth be told we have no idea yet.

Crackdown’s agility orb logo was spotted during Microsoft’s Xbox One reveal back in May and Phil Spencer has been harping on about it a lot lately. Could this be the elusive, mystery game?

Microsoft’s stance on self-publishing was also pegged for discussion during gamescom before details on the reversal were leaked ahead of time. Microsoft’s Marc Whitten confirmed that the company would issue more details on the policy in Cologne.

Were also hoping to hear more on the Xbox One release dates, which may or may not go down at some point during gamescom. With the console out before year’s end and a TGS announcement unlikely, this is the best place for Microsoft to drop a date on us.

Game-wise we’re hoping for Dead Rising 3, Kinect Sports: Rivals, Project Spark, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, Killer Instinct and more, but we’ll have to wait for the gamescom’s doors to open to find out more.

Nintendo: The Japanese giant makes its return to gamescom this year with a suite of Wii U and 3DS titles on the public show floor. On Wii U Nintendo will bring, “Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Wii Party U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Karaoke U, Mario Kart 8.

On 3DS Nintendo will be giving fans a chance to play Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. It’s a strong showing from the company which is something of a bounce-back after last year’s no-show.

Ubisoft: While the company isn’t holding its usual conference at gamescom this year, it is promising to bring a new next-gen IP to the show. Current rumours suggest it’s Child of Light by Ubisoft Montreal. There’s also these Fighter Within domain registrations to consider.

Seeing as the publisher isn’t holding its own pre-show event, you can expect this reveal to go down at Sony’s conference. We’re none the wiser on what it is, although we can also expect showings from Watch Dogs, Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag and The Crew.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy is a big focus for Square this year. The company recently spilled details of its gamescom 2013 showing, which will give the public plenty of hands-on and demo sessions to look forward to.

We know that Thief, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD Remaster, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX and Deus Ex: The Fall will be there. There’s no word on Final Fantasy 15 however.

Activison: Blizzard has confirmed it will announce something to do with Diablo 3 at the show, which we’re going to guess will be news on the first expansion or something about the PS4 build.

We’re also expecting to hear more about Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer following its big August 14 reveal and of course we’re hoping to get another glimpse of Destiny on the show floor.

Konami: Sorry Metal Gear Solid 5 fans, only Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and PES 2014 are playable at this year’s gamescom, but that’s still something to get excited for.

Bethesda: The company has confirmed that The Elder Scrolls Online will be playable at gamescom and we wouldn’t be overly-surprised if Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Evil Within were to rear their heads at some point too.

Deep Silver: The publisher will bring it’s newly-announced MOBA Dead Island: Epidemic to Cologne, and Wasteland 2 developer inXile has confirmed it will bring the game to the show floor.

Other games we’re hoping will be at the show, but haven’t been confirmed at the time of writing:

• Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Eve Online
  • Dark Souls 2
  • Dust 514
  • Half-Life 3 (totes jokes yo)
  • Hawken
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Payday 2
  • Mad Max
  • Space Hulk
  • Star Citizen
  • War of the Vikings
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • World of Tanks Xbox 360
  • WWE 14

No-shows:

• Capcom

What are you most looking forward to at this year’s gamescom show? Let us know below.

1. mistermogul

My body is ready

#1 1 year ago
  2. tenthousandgothsonacid

Predictions : Lots of articles about how Microsoft have got the advantage back (conveniently forgetting their console still costs more and has worse specs).

Oh, and Uncharted 4 hopefully :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. MTS91

War of the Vikings has been confirmed.

#3 1 year ago
  4. actuallyisnotafox

4 days omg! ^-^ im excited for new exclusives, i so so desperatly want a new vita title, but yeah 4 days ._. 4 days is a long time, i cant wait mr dave! >.<

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

HYPE

No time for MS conf?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 Nope, there isn’t an MS conference this year. Just a press event.

#6 1 year ago
  7. KAP

Oh? I thought MS were releasing a new console this year?!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lv01

please give us a PS4 release date Sony!!!!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@7 Well…yeah, but the event is behind closed doors this year. No stream.

#9 1 year ago
  10. neural

@Dave about the Ubi announcement, you missed the Fighter Within rumor ;)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dragon246

@Dave,
    WAIT A MINUTE! NO PUBLIC PRE-GAMESCOM CONFERENCE BY MS? UNLIKE SONY?

On the other hand, sound about right. MS blew almost entire entire load at E3 unlike Sony. They announced so much at E3 yet “lost” it, and now probably don’t have much to announce, unlike Sony which hasn’t even unveiled most its 20 PS4 first party “in the 1st year” games.

Pretty bad PR management by MS.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@10 cheers man. I wrote this on Monday so that game hadn’t been announced then. Thanks for flagging :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. machy

at less we won’t hve to stay up all night :D like e3

#13 1 year ago
  14. KAP

Sony is in a unique position next week, they have Gamers interested, just dont fuck it up and they’ll be fine.

Do: show release date.

Dont: show more TV then you have to.

Do: show atleast ONE new IP

Dont: show anything less then a AAA IP

Do: show bundle(s) for PS4/Vita

Dont: show a extortionate price for it ($100 – £100)

Do: show the humble side to us gamers.

Dont: show cocky side due to a good E3 showing a few months back.

Do: show more indies

Dont: show less indies

Do: bring mark cerny back on stage, one last time before launch

Dont: avoid the elephant in the room, the Vita.

Do: show more of the UI of the PS4

Dont: stay more then 5 minutes on a title that isnt interesting.

Do: show The Last Gaurdian (atleast a; its still here)

Dont: disappoint me.

#14 1 year ago
  15. life28

I’m going at GamesCom again this year, it’s hard event for every editor. I have booked biggest games presentations and Behind Close Doors sessions, so I hope I can handle them all. Have a fun guys, see you there

#15 1 year ago
  16. machy

@14 +1 on mark cerny

#16 1 year ago
  17. SplatteredHouse

No presentation from Microsoft. I don’t know what to make of that…I thought it was reported that Phil Spencer was going to be…Yeah: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsofts-phil-spencer-to-deliver-keynote-speech-at-gamescom-2013-6412827

#17 1 year ago
  18. marijnlems

I’m calling it now: both PS4 and Xbone will be released on 22nd nov 2013, making Watch_Dogs a launch title. This will also allow Sony to bundle Tearaway with a PS4/Vita combo, since that game is released on the same day.

#18 1 year ago
  19. neural

@17 there will be a presentation. It simply won’t be a full-blown conference, just a non-streamed press event where they’ll make the annonucements and let the press to play the games.

#19 1 year ago
  20. redwood

@17 i think phil said something like “we re going to have a very small on-stage presentation” (correct me if am wrong) and than it will be mostly about showing of playable versions of games running on x1.
    IMO they have shown most of their games, and almost all for the release date so the remaining titles they are keeping for later.
    he did say they have significant 1 exclusive to show.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ImNoHero

Great job Dave! I already favorited this, I don’t want to miss anything.

But why didn’t you mention that Sony will announce game(S) while you mentioned that Microsoft will have only ONE game?

@14 +1, if they missed up this, especially that Microsoft doesn’t seem to have something big, they’ll be the dumbest company in the world

#21 1 year ago
  22. SplatteredHouse

They’ve shown most of their games? That would be unfortunate. I was looking to Gamescom for A LOT more clarity, and show (less tell) from Microsoft – you know, at the BIG European games show! GC was to be their “proving ground” – so, a default loss. wow. That’s NONE too flattering.

My intent was to give them this chance. Okay, so they’ve had a disastrous E3, but we’ll see what happens after the fallout’s settled a bit. Maybe they can get things back on track, regroup here…THAT is why I said I don’t know what to make of that, because, if that’s all from MS, then well, they’re trailing a DISTANT second place.
    I guess I just don’t see the wisdom in leaving the public-facing, broadly reported impression being at what it was, coming out of E3.

#22 1 year ago
  23. KAP

Microsoft simply dont want there press shown to the public directly because its easier for them to pay certain press off.

Rev3games.

How much you wanna bet after the private “presentation” most of the press will come out praising MS up until launch.

MS simply feel the need to control who sees what in terms of infomation now, its what got them in trouble in the first place.

I dont agree with it but MS is playing the game.

#23 1 year ago
  24. redwood

-wrong thread-

#24 1 year ago
  25. Kreion

Nice to see how non-biased and sensible people are on this site, as ever.

Sony will have games to announce, MS will have at least one to announce. Other than that we have no clue as to what they are going to do in these conferences, so for once try not to simply assume Sony will show up and announce the PS4 is actually a gateway to heaven. Whereas some journalist will reveal that the Kinect is actually formed from a dark pact with Satan. If you could not be a blind idiot, that’d be nice.

Still I look forward to seeing what both companies have to announce. Whilst I never owned a PS3, Uncharted always tended to look quite pretty. If they announce another one of those I guess Sony fans will be happy :) As for MS, if they can come forward with a good Fable game that’d be nice xD But I’m not sure what they want to do with that series considering the 3rd wasn’t received well.

I kinda wish DICE had some Star Wars: Battlefront thing, even if it was only a longer trailer, but that game’s a while off I suppose.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

@23: And what evidence are you going to be putting forward to support your assertion that Rev3Games are “paid off” by platform holders? The notion seems ridiculous to me, but let’s see what you come up with.

#26 1 year ago
  27. abdooltk

GUYS WHERE I CAN SEE ALL PRESS CONVERSES …

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

I generally like Gamescom slightly better than E3, lets see how this goes.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Dave Cook

@27 Here, on Tuesday. It’s all in the article above.

#29 1 year ago
  30. super3001

gtfo idiot go fap over viacom on ps4 and shitty nintendogs clone on vita

#30 1 year ago
  31. SameeR_Fisher

So EA is probably a miss for me, nothing exciting for me there, and YES, I HAVE SEEN TITANFALL XD.

Sony, well I am pretty excited for the new game announcments, if I recall they are making some, I am hoping for maybe a teaser for Uncharted 4 –trailer at VGA–, a game similar to God of War but not God of War –maybe Heavenly Swords 2 ?!–, and finally and most important –kinda– a reboot/remake/sequel Syphon Filter title.

MS: Ryse: Son of Rome for me, I know the gameplay looked very lacking at E3, but the setting and graphics were top notch, so I am hoping Crytek fixed the gameplay somehow or something, we will see for sure at Gamescom.

Nintendo is another miss for me.

Ubisoft I am interested to see The Division if it is present, I saw enough of Watch Dogs and AssCreedIV, I am interested in the new IPs as well.

Square Enix: Thief and Murdered are in the spot lights for me, I am really hoping for a lengthy demo for Thief, cause E3 demo was a so-so, Murdered is a pretty exciting game too.

Activision: another miss, no 007 game, no Spider Man game, nothing for me to see.

Konami: I really want to see whatever they reveal regarding Lords of Shadow 2, but I also want to avoid all sorts of spoilers, I hope we know a release date, it is my most anticipated title EVER.

Bethesda I hope for a demo for The Evil Within, the E3 demo was one of the worst I saw, I need to see the full demo or something.

Deep Silver: nope, nothing to see here.

I want to see Batman Arkham Origins, and Mad Max as well.

#31 1 year ago
  32. OmegaSlayer

Will press sneak fuck be allowed in Bethesda area?

#32 1 year ago
  33. redwood

@sameer sorry to inform you but Reise is not gonna change.. it will stay being the “quickiest timeius eventius”

#33 1 year ago
  34. PEYJ

@ 32

What???

#34 1 year ago
  35. Edo

@32 That’s “press sneak fucks”…plural,also ha ha ha at Half-Life 3 joke……..I know where you live Dave :P .

#35 1 year ago
  36. SplatteredHouse

@34: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/15/arkane-making-prey-2/
    see, in particular the email, purportedly from Arkane Studio’s CEO and creative director, Raphael Colantonio – It reads:
    “Now that the news is out, We’ll be contacted left and right by press sneak fucks who will want to know more.
    Please don’t answer any of their requests.
    Thanks”

I don’t know what accusations of somebody lying to the media over P2 being in development has to do with GamesCom, though.

#36 1 year ago
  37. SameeR_Fisher

@33: well I fear the same Redwood, but who knows, they said at E3 it was god mode, and enemies took way less hits, I just want to see if they are speaking the truth or not.

I am quite sad about how awful the gameplay is, I wonder why the hell couldn’t they look at Shadow of Rome !!!

#37 1 year ago
  38. Dave Cook

@35 Hah :D

I would tell you what I’m seeing behind closed doors from all the developers at the show but I’d probably be sued.

Next week will be big, rest assured.

#38 1 year ago
  39. CaptPierce

Maaaan, I always love gamescom way more than I do E3. When the hype storms settle down and they’ve announced the titles in June we get to finally see these games in action, most of them coming out a few months after gamescom. I lived in Germany for a few years and went to the last event and loved it. It’s less for the gaming press and more for the people that like playing games. And Sony has never been shy of making big announcements here either. I’m stoked about this one!

#39 1 year ago
  40. Dave Cook

@39 me too. For me E3 is all about the initial reveal and ‘We can’t talk about that yet’ for most new titles.

Gamescom is where the hands-on and proper insight happens. That, and it’s massively chilled out by comparison.

#40 1 year ago
  41. fearmonkey

I’d be happy if they showed more gameplay on Driveclub, The order, more about the PS4 Dashboard, and a new game or two would be nice.

For MS, anything Crackdown or Fable related would be great, Fable 4 would be a big reason I would get a Xbone eventually. More On remedy’s game would be cool too.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Edo

@38 :) looking forward to your coverage of Gamescom and hoping that “teh mocap isn’t good enough so that’s why no Half-Life 3″ excuse is not real.

#42 1 year ago
  43. PEYJ

@ 36

Ahh, thanks.

#43 1 year ago
  44. bzahediasl

i m waiting for uncharted 4 new gears of war new god of war and mafia 3 and
    many others…

#44 1 year ago
  45. Sini

FIX THE FUCKING FORMATTING ALREADY GODDAMN

#45 1 year ago
  46. bradk825

@45 that artery in your neck looks like it’s about to blow. Better sit down and grab a beer man. Woooooosa. Serenity now.

#46 1 year ago
  47. bradk825

So “press sneak fucks” is not an in-game feature where you can press X and sneak-fuck someone? That’s kind of disappointing.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Lewis247

Half-Life 3 It will be announced. Oh yes, It will be announced.

#48 1 year ago
  49. thedudenator

I was hoping to see prey 2 since it’s just gone completely off the radar, nothing big but at least some info and maybe gameplay since the team behind it has gone through some changes, might give the project a needed boost

#49 1 year ago