Call of Duty: Ghosts will be the best-looking PC entry yet, will have enhanced textures over consoles

Friday, 16th August 2013 16:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Ghost is getting some additional texture work on PC to ensure it’s the best version of the game on the format to date, and it might even nudge it ahead of next-gen console editions too.

Speaking with Kotaku, Infinity Ward’s mark Rubin said, “PC is taking a different tack from previous games [in the series]. “Now, PC has its own set of assets. It’s going to look better than any Call of Duty we’ve ever made on PC.”

Rubin added, “[The team is] actually using an even higher version in many cases than the next-gen consoles, from a texture standpoint.”

Could the PC build actually be the best-looking version as a result, or is all of this just puff-talk? Let us know what you think below.

1. wally10975

Makes sense, seeing as how 32gb of RAM and 6gb of GDDR5 RAM on a single card rigs are out there. Not to slam the next-gen consoles, but they simply cannot compete with these gaming rigs.

#1 8 months ago
  2. fearmonkey

I still say that Snow area in the beginning of the video looks like COD in Skyrim.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Max Payne

Actually snow level reminds me of UT3 snow level

#3 8 months ago
  4. pwnftw

COD is the king of consoles, but they have to do better to compete with BF4 on the PC side.

#4 8 months ago
  5. macronia

@4 This :* ^_^

#5 8 months ago
  6. Aullah

There is no fucking way im gonna buy any cod until I see activision put money and effort it, not just reskining their game year by year.
    FUCKING
    WAY

#6 8 months ago
  7. Catalyzer

Lol good to see , how backup has still not commented on this , always ranting about the PC Piracy and how good the Ps3 is.

#7 8 months ago
  8. SolidGamerSnake

There female soldiers. hope the feminazis are sastisfied now

#8 8 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

Don’t mention the fucking troll.

Shut up thats incredibly condescending.

#9 8 months ago
  10. TheWulf

And you can bet they’re not going to bother with tessellation at all. Even Volition, exiting from a bankrupt publisher to one with less money, managed to get tessellation into Saints Row IV.

It bugs me that the only worthwhile aesthetic development over the last however many decades is being completely ignored by consoles. You’ll have those who’ll tell you that the PS3 can do tessellation, but no, no it can’t. Not in the same sense I’m talking about as it’s a very watered down version of it, which is why it’s never been used outside of Gran Turismo. And even there it looks terrible.

It looks like the ‘next gen’ consoles aren’t going to be doing proper tessellation either, and I can’t stress how much this bugs me. See, I’ve really never given a damn about fidelity or resolution, but there are some technological advancements that can actually improve the aesthetics of a game. Another is hardware physics, for example.

Higher resolution? Ridiculous anti-aliasing? Shader spam? Particle spam? Do these things really do anything to improve a game’s art style? Noap! In fact they often act in detriment to it, and I have to turn the settings off or down in order to make the game look better. Another culprit in regards to fidelity making games look bad? Depth of field. That’s not how vision works, so all DoF does is make games look blurry and bad.

But tessellation? Tessellation actually improves the aesthetic quality of a game, and it only has a very minimal hardware cost. In fact, I could tell you now that whilst older PC hardware might choke when it comes to particle/shader spam and the other things I mentioned, tessellation is actually not that demanding.

Yet it makes such a difference.

Here’s a comparison with tessellation on and off so you can see what’s missing without it. It truly makes a massive change to aesthetics, and I thought at the very least with this ‘next gen’ we’d have more games with tessellation.

That, however, seems to be a pipe dream. I just have zero interest in ever higher fidelity, it’d be nice if they actually used worthwhile technologies. But at the same time I could go on about voxels, good AI, emergent systems, tessellation, and so on.

Essentially — all of this hardware, and the software tech is still shit.

#10 8 months ago
  11. bradk825

@6 Such as? What are you looking for them to do that they are not doing? If they change the whole game it’s not COD anymore. They’ve rebuilt the engine, added new features, modes etc. Added new clan functionality and so on and so forth. Or have you not actually watched the videos and you are just trolling?

#11 8 months ago
  12. TheWulf

I’m with you in your reply to #8. That’s the only, one thing that’s made me arch an eyebrow in the direction of this game.

I suspect that the dudebro masses won’t be so pleased with having women in their games, making them feel awkward. And this pleases me tremendously. We need more women in games.

It seems they’re taking a nod from New Vegas with this; I remember how impressed I was that the NCR in New Vegas had an equal split of soldiers regarding gender. And the same with other NPCs too, they were as many independent women as men — including the most genuinely bad arse of them all, Lily. Lily pulled my butt out of the fire more times than I can count. She was truly awesome.

And now I’m lamenting over how good New Vegas was, and how shit the companions in more recent RPGs have been. Miss you, Lily.

But I digress, yeah, I’m very happy to see this particular step forward. For their next trick, I’d be even happier if the mainstream got rid of boob windows in fantasy games, or at the very least if they gave the guys crotch windows to partially reveal their sac. (Which I am only saying to make a point as to how ridiculous boob windows are.)

#12 8 months ago
  13. Djoenz

Thats all dandy but I wont die without it.
    You pc people crack me up sometimes. Paying so much attention to details and graphics and resolution. You guys are spoiled and your eyes saturated way too soon. Im still enjoying 720p 30fps and Im cool with it.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Hcw87

This meant absolutely shit. It’s Call of Duty on an engine older than most CoD players.

A better comparison would be between a current PC game and for example Killzone Shadowfall or The Division.

#14 8 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Tessellation; emergent AI; well-coded AI behaviour that isn’t just scripted nonsense; use of voxels for properly geo-modded areas.

That’s a small list just to start us off and I’m sure I could come up with others, but honestly, this isn’t a complaint aimed just at Call of Duty, but more the mainstream as a whole. I’m about as sick of the highly scripted nonsense in Call of Duty as I am of save the world plots.

I want NEW things, I want INTERESTING things, but people tend to fetishise familiarity, wanting the same thing over and over again with only slight variations. That’s not me.

Titanfall is a SLIGHT step in the right direction, a very slight one. Women being properly represented by this game is also a slight step in the right direction. So I suppose they are heading in the right direction at a snail’s pace, but ultimately it’s still the same game we’ve been playing since those games on the Playstation2.

The military shooter really hasn’t changed at all, hence my disinterest.

Plus, I don’t really enjoy the glorification of war, anyway. If it was over the top and silly then I might, because it’s a parody then and that’s fun to me. Or if they did something like Spec Ops: The Line, where the grisly nature of warfare is exposed. Either or. Spec Ops really pushed the envelope in that regard, though.

But as it is? It’s just the same thing since the original Medal of Honour. ERMAHGERD AHM A SOLJA WIF A GUN DEFENDIN’ MAH COUNTRY FROM DA EVIL BADMENZ WHO PROLLY HAVE FAM’LEES BACK HOME TOO BUT I DUN GIVE ANY SHITS.

Yeah. No.

I dunno, I think that if you’re going to approach a topic like this, you could at least either make it silly or give the proper gravitas. The spot they’ve found with Call of Duty makes my skin crawl, because it really glorifies war to people without showing them any of the horrors involved in proper warfare. It’s realistic, but realistic enough to condition people into thinking that war is fun, not realistic enough to actually make them want to curl up foetal.

#15 8 months ago
  16. TheWulf

I see your reading comprehension isn’t actually very good, because I spoke out against fidelity too, which you’re also speaking out against. I was talking about technologies which actually improve upon aesthetics and gameplay. You know, things that should matter to you too if you stopped and thought about it.

You look incredibly stupid when you’re mocking someone for something they didn’t even say, you know? Just a little bit of advice.

#16 8 months ago
  17. bradk825

Wulf, go play something else then. I don’t even know what tessalation is and I don’t care, I was pointing out to someone else altogether that their comment was stupid. This is not a reskinned game and they likely didn’t look at any info about the game before making their comment. I wasn’t looking for a philosophical conversation about war, women and wine.

A solid half of this thread right now is from you and it’s all negative. Go play some Duck Tales bro, it’s good clean fun and no DLC later.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Djoenz

You put tht shit in an article about COD. I dont think COD players really care about the resolution perhaps only about fps. . then again Im not a pc player.

I understand what you typed but then I watched the vid and I was like ok what does this tesselation actually do. You claim things but seriously its not needed for COD on consoles cause its upscaled 720p and no one bitches about tht except pc players. COD is for the mindless.

#18 8 months ago
  19. SolidGamerSnake

Wulf likes to tell stories.

#19 8 months ago
  20. torjs99

m$’s evil licensee contract mean that everything is dragged down to its level. so don’t count…

#20 8 months ago
  21. M. K.

Wulf likes to derail threads by taking one word out of context and writing a romance around it.

#21 8 months ago
  22. lookingglass

Well… It looks like shit on consoles, so any improvement helps I guess..?

Have they seen Battlefield 4?

Call of Duty is like an arcade shooter. Arcade games always look like a bag of dicks but it’s the shallow, balanced gameplay that counts.

#22 8 months ago
  23. nollie4545

I’m fed up with COD reskins, and BF is no better, they are the same shit repackaged a dozen times and 9 year old kids still force their parents to buy this shit. The FPS thing is getting old, they need to widen the game play beyond camp, move and shoot in my opinion.

As for the graphics, makes no odds, people are still going to buy this shit.

#23 8 months ago