God of War’s Cory Barlog has returned to Sony Santa Monica studios

Friday, 9th August 2013 18:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

God of War’s former game director Cory Barlog has returned to Sony Santa Monica studios after departing in 2007 .

Announced on the PS Blog, Barlog also said he was working on a “freaking huge” project.

“What am I working on, you ask? Good question. Sadly, I cannot tell you…yet,” he wrote. “But I can say that it is freaking huge, and it will live up to the standards that I helped establish here at SMS.

“We’re putting together a team as I type this, an Ocean’s 11 kind of thing. We are searching the world high and low for the best of the BEST to come and be on the ground floor of this endeavor.

“So, hey, if you are a freaking rock star unafraid to roll your sleeves up and take risks, reading this thinking that your current digs are feeling…well…a bit small, a bit dull and in need of some excitement – you need to contact me at Sony Santa Monica.”

In 2008 Barlog was pegged as the lead developer on the Mad Max game by Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller, who said the game would be a tie-in to the film starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.

In 2010, Barlog posted a number of tweets stating the game had come out of pre-production and it would be released close to the film’s debut.

Barlog joined Avalanche around the time the tweets were made, but he left the firm for Crystal Dynamics in 2012.

Back in June, Avalanche Studios CEO Christofer Sundberg said its Mad Max game was not the project Barlog worked on while at the studio.

[image]

1. FogKnight22

That is excellent news!

I am seriously wondering what is the new game (I have a feeling that it isn’t God of War IV)

#1 8 months ago
  2. Obernox

@1 I don’t want another GoW, really, how many times are we going to press, Square, Square, Square, Square, Triangle?. Santa Monica studios has a lot of talent that i’ll like see used on a new IP.

#2 8 months ago
  3. KAP

WOOOOOOW!!!!

Its no accident that God Of War 2 and GOW: Ghost Of Sparta happen to be my fav in the franchise, now he’s back for PS4…. forget about it!

This guy will make something truly out of this world. I was excited for the PS4 before but now… I can’t even express how I feel now… sssssshhhhitt!

How many times are will gonna line up a dude with a reticule and press: right trigger, right trigger, left trigger, right trigger! hm?

Journey had you pressing two buttons for 2 hours and won game of the year last year mate. Its what you do with those two buttons, not the fact its two buttons

Brother: a tale of two sons is another great example of a two button affair! lol

With that said though, I’d rather a new IP for the PS4.

#3 8 months ago
  4. FogKnight22

@2 I totally agree. GoW needs a break for now ever since Ascension…

Give us what you have got Cory!

#4 8 months ago
  5. fihar

Try telling that to the same people who bought 8 different iterations of Dynasty Warriors (myself included).

Honestly, I’d love for them to only stick with the main God of War series. The PSP ones and to a certain extent, Ascension, were totally unnecessary but the main trilogy is awesome.
    I don’t think GoW 3′s epic scale has ever been matched anywhere else.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Francis O

This is fantastic news, as God of War 2 is the most well rounded game in the series. And of course, this guy was in charge of it.

I expect him to be leading up God of War 4 on the PS4. Great news.

#6 8 months ago
  7. xino

as he is typing his words, it’s getting me EXCITED as I read it

GOW4 man!
    i wish!
    set in modern time

I don’t like GOW2′s pacing.
    Ascension was a piece of trash!

#7 8 months ago
  8. KAP

I found GOW2 pacing incredible, specially with the fact that If ever you go back and play it you’ll notice that the camera from beginning to end never, ever leaves Kratos side, meaning you can practically map his journey from start to finish, its a genius move that solidified that title as one of the best games ever made.

Also the Krakan scene GOW2 and Sparta scene in GOW:GOS were fuckin’ insane!

#8 8 months ago
  9. MFBB

The game he means must be the SciFi IP with the Battlestar Galactia writer.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Clupula

GOW 2 is, hands down, the best in the series and the pacing is a huge part of that. I very much hope whenever they do 4, he is in charge. A GOW 4 with 2′s pacing and 3′s scale, where Kratos fights a new pantheon, maybe Norse, maybe Egyptian, would definitely be something I’d love to see.

#10 8 months ago
  11. YoungZer0

Let me play as a Viking working for the Norse gods with the mission to kill Kratos!

One of the problems about God of War is Kratos. He served his purpose.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Fethennour

Welcome back, sir.

#12 8 months ago
  13. KAP

100% agree with ya

#13 8 months ago
  14. OmegaSlayer

Welcome back and please no GOW4 yet.
    New IP! :)

#14 8 months ago
  15. manamana

Excellent news! First GoW4 trailer christmas 2014 with Vita spin-off!

#15 8 months ago
  16. PEYJ

I doubt it’s another GoW and I certainly don’t want it to be either. That series needs a break.

#16 8 months ago
  17. RageOfThorn

I have a feeling this may be where they take the series next, Kratos vs Thor. Just a gut feeling.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Belmont

GoW reboot? A new IP would be great too.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

New IPs then come back in 2015 no later than 2017.

Edit: if they definitely can get GOW back on track then anytime.

#19 8 months ago
  20. erjastej

I don’t know, I feel the GOW community is divided but I can’t wait to play a new GOW again!!! I have to say I was a bit disappointed with GOW ascension, I played it just once since I bought it but it is still a GOW game and I will still support it. I never played the multi-player though, I felt this wasn’t for GOW! I don’t know what they will invent to make another one but there should be another one on the PS4! By the way, I bought the PS3 because of GOW 3! Too many fans waiting out there, they have to make something for us! Check my PSN you,ll see how many GOW games I played! I have them all!

#20 7 months ago