PS4 & PS Vita bundle rumours: we ask the retailers

Thursday, 8th August 2013 16:40 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 and PS Vita bundle rumours dropped last week, so VG247′s Dave Cook and Steph Nunneley have called their local retailers to see if there’s any truth to the matter.

If you missed the initial rumour you can play catch-up here.

Basically, an anonymous source of Machinima said that Sony is bundling both consoles together for around $500, and that the package will launch by the end of the year.

We decided to ask our local game shops to see if they had heard anything regarding the bundle, just to see if there was any truth to what we’d heard.

Over in the States, Steph contacted her local GameStop first and asked them if a PS4 and PS Vita bundle was on the cards.

A sales rep replied, “Oh no. That is two completely different systems. That would be getting about $700.00 worth of stuff. So for $700.00 to be knocked down to $400.00 I don’t think that’s going to happen.

“If they are going to bundle it, it won’t be for $400.00. I have not heard anything about that, I know there will be a lot of cross-play between the Vita and the PS4 and I know that you will be able to use your Vita as a second controller for the PlayStation 4 [if game is programmed for it according to Sony - SNN].

“So while it’s not entirely unfathomable that it would happen we just havn’t been given anything on it. If they definitely did that, like I said the price would be around the $600-700 area.

“However if [you are] wanting to get a PS4 I recommend getting into a Gamestop as soon as possible to pre-order because we don’t know when they are going to be shutting off this SKU again.

“They have shut off reservations of PS4 twice now and they re-opened it last Saturday which was when I finally got the chance to pre-order my own. They are saying that it could be any day now that they shut if off again.”

Steph then tried another GameStop store nearby and was told by an employee that there was no PS4/PS Vita bundle on their system and, “as far as I have heard from corporate,” there is to be no new PS4 bundles until after the current packages have launched.

Meanwhile here in Scotland, I called my local branch of HMV and was told by an employee, “We don’t have any information on that yet. It probably won’t be until a lot closer to the time until a price has been released and stuff.”

I then asked if the bundle was actually a thing and he replied, “I’ve not heard anything, I’ve probably heard as much as you – that there probably will be a bundle but as far as us having it in the show I haven’t heard anything.”

Defeated, I called my local GAME store and asked the same question. Their staffer told me, “Not that I’m aware of. The only bundle we’ve been told about is the one exclusive to us that comes with the PS4 itself, Killzone special edition and Driveclub special edition. It also comes with PlayStation Plus. That’s the only one I’ve heard of, I’ve not heard anything being bundled with a Vita.”

I then asked if this was something I should keep an eye on the GAME website for, and he replied, “I’d keep an eye on it but I’ll be perfectly honest; with the amount of solus Vitas that Sony has still got – and the fact that you can already buy it solus – I don’t know why they would bundle [PS4] with a Vita.

“If anything it would be re-bundled again with a PlayStation Eye – and that’s me just giving pure guesswork. If I were Sony I’d bundle it with the PlayStation Eye instead of Vita. Maybe it’s something they’ve still to announce as they’ve still to announce a release date.”

Together we also tried Best Buy, ASDA, Tesco and Toys ‘R Us. I largely got kind old ladies who sounded lovely but couldn’t tell me what was going on, while Steph hit a brick wall over the pond. In most cases however, stores had either stopped PS4 pre-orders or were close to pulling the plug on them.

Either way, it seems like retailers at shop level haven’t heard of this fabled bundle. We’re since taken this higher and are still waiting on a response, although in my experience it’s unlikely that chains will disclose anything they’re not supposed to.

We’ll let you know if they do however, but for now, what do you make of the bundle rumour? Let us know below.

1. Lengendaryboss

So Steph and Dave went around like mad men (and women) interrogating the nearest shops via phone to provide info for us: how kind :)

#1 12 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 We put on fake voices. It was fun.

(We didn’t really put on fake voices)

#2 12 months ago
  3. Djoenz

“If they are going to bundle it, it won’t be for $400.00. I have not heard anything about that, but I do know that you will be able to use your Vita as a second controller for the Playstation 4. I know there will be a lot of cross-play between the Vita and the PS4″

That sales rep is incorrect right? Remote play doesnt mean it can be used as second controller persé. You guys already had a thread about that somewhere.

You guys are funny though xD I guess its case closed!

#3 12 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Thanks, yeah it didn’t really work out, but the fact they don’t have the bundle on their systems means it’s not imminent at least.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Sini

clearly they forgot to say they represent vg247, otherwise they would get the truth.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I will never tell my secrets to gleaning information… or discounts at tire stores for that matter. :D

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@5 No way dude, they’d probably tell us less if they knew we were journalists.

#7 12 months ago
  8. DrDamn

The Vita can be used as a controller if the game is specially programmed to support it – don’t expect it will beyond some stuff from Sony themselves. Remote play is a separate point and available on all games which don’t use the camera.

#8 12 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

This article sheds lots of lights here.

It demonstrates that PR is an important point to pre sales and noting a statement like “but I do know that you will be able to use your Vita as a second controller for the Playstation 4. I know there will be a lot of cross-play between the Vita and the PS4. ” means Sony did not fully succeed in their PR game pre-sales play.
    I suppose now we need a Sony PR with bullet point capaboilities of PS4 and Vita tandem.

#9 12 months ago
  10. DrDamn

I think it tells us that lots of people in retail don’t actually know all that much – not a big surprise. I once corrected an employee in Toys’r'us who was happily telling a prospective customer WiiU was an add on for the Wii – whilst holding the controller in her hand.

#10 12 months ago
  11. sebastien rivas

@ 8

I know but such clear statement confuses the readers to the point where it dismantle Sony’s PR pre-sales.

Steph & Dave please, take the whip and go see the one you interviewed to teach him life.

#11 12 months ago
  12. GK

whats a point for a bundle if price is bigger then PS4 alone + Vita Alone? :D
    500$ best price and people could really interesting in this.

#12 12 months ago
  13. loci

Top investigative journalism. Pulitzer prize time methinks.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Djoenz

@Dave man you guys should have freaking vlogged it so we could see your reactions and hear their reactions, but with a comedic spin.

Like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jVGxmBLLk

Shit this is actually cool what Dave and Steph did. Ofcourse the fact wether sales reps are even entitled to give tht information or the expectations to get answers this way was highly enough doesnt matter.

I think its hilariously awesome that they took the time to even pick up the phone and started calling.

Fucking awesome this thread made my day.

Now try to aquire Major Nelson’s personal phone number and start questioning or inquiring him!

#14 12 months ago
  15. unclejibjab

I wouldn’t listen too much to what game have to say. I overheard an employee telling a woman the other day that the PS4 uses a new media that holds 4x as much as bluray.

Clueless or will do anything to seal the deal?

#15 12 months ago
  16. sebastien rivas

+1 on you.

hahaha thanks, you made my day ;)

#16 12 months ago
  17. Dave Cook

@14 hah :D that’s certainly something to bear in mind!

#17 12 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

Yes this is bound to happen but I am really skeptical it will be on Ps4.
    What purpose would it be for in first place. 25 by 4 100. Jeezz 100 gigs gaming data. Do I need to purchase the Enterprise with the holo deck to play those games?

#18 12 months ago
  19. Stephany Nunneley

@10 & 15 – I once had a Best Buy employee tell me God of War 2 wasn’t out yet which is why it wasn’t on the shelf … it had been on the market for at least 6 months.

#19 12 months ago
  20. sebastien rivas

@ 10

But guess what. That is what I thought it was. I thought the wiiu was an addition for the wii for months and months until about a week ago when I came on vg247 and I started to decipher through you guys.. all your posts and threads that the wiiu is not just a controller!

Why did I think that way.. Well I cannot assure which, where, how but I remember to clearly reading it in a magazine!!!! in a magazine man….
    and I said to myself dude I don’t want to spend that much money on a wii controller with a screen.

That is why I say beware with this article here it is bound to confuse some readers who are not informed at all or substantially not enough. Just like for me and the wiiu….

#20 12 months ago
  21. Stephany Nunneley

@20 Well I added a link in there where Sony said Vita is a “second controller only if the game is programmed for it” just so no one else who never heard this gets confused.

#21 12 months ago
  22. smartalves

my problem with this? price!!! Why? I live in Portugal and taxes here are killing games (diference to UK will be 10 euros less).
    For me (correction, for my son) the good bundles will be PS4+game+controler or +eye. Everything will be too much money (specially the prices os ps vita games).

#22 12 months ago
  23. GK

22,ps vita games for free,i dont have ps vita but i already have 20+ games from ps+ :D just barging price for ps+.

#23 12 months ago
  24. Professor Zoom

Suck on that PS fanboys. :)

#24 12 months ago
  25. Djoenz

@All:

#25 12 months ago
  26. sebastien rivas

@ 21

I have been following VG247 about vita for a bit so I am not confused so far about Ps4+vita capabilities and yet, thanks to another poster (sorry forgot the name) who rectified me on PS4+Vita capabilities.

My point is, because I read or even flew over other previous articles by you and others then I have a good sense on Ps4+vita capabilities. May I be sadly surprised by Sony in the end during confirmation or debunk.. maybe.
    But for others, a reader who do not know about Ps4+Vita capabilities will not understand this article in any way for many reasons already posted. If the guy is old just like me and do not click on linkies in first place then s/he will be at large.
    Although thanks again to all posters, s/he will be able to get a better idea and in the right direction.

One point I want to bring. I am NOT accusing you or Dave of anything but I am from the 70′s generation, perhaps I am the only one not being used to go through link that has links that has links. Anything prevents you or Dave or the Vg247 staffs from copy/past citation with citation names from other links that are linked.. in links? huhh link ;)
    where was I again????
    Cheer ;)

#26 12 months ago
  27. noamlol2

so mashitima lied

shocker…

#27 12 months ago
  28. sebastien rivas

@ 27

It sounds like it but I wait and see for Sony to come up to definitive PR solution(s).
    Same goes and Microsoft I feel like I am crossing a desert and am tired of staying skeptical about Microsoft to be honest because I have faith and wish to own one so I wait and wait…

#28 12 months ago
  29. nikk900

I work at GAME and all I’ll say is – if we did have a bundle like this coming we would not be allowed to tell people until sony say we can, and I’d assume the same for other retailers. So I think this was a bit pointless.

#29 12 months ago
  30. Fin

Yup.

#30 12 months ago
  31. VibraniumSpork

I’d prefer that GAME started talking about what modular bundles they’ll be offering – “PS4 + Any 2/3 Games” etc. That Killzone bundle would be tempting if they hadn’t packaged Driveclub with it – surely the majority of Launch Dayers will be picking up PS+ and will download it (albeit in limited form) anyway?

#31 12 months ago
  32. nikk900

@31 The plus version of driveclub is limited like you say, but the bundle version is a special edition as is killzone. It was either that or knack.

#32 12 months ago