Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD – no plans for Wii U release, says JAW

Thursday, 8th August 2013 21:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Just Add Water has said it had no plans to release Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD on Wii U.

Speaking with Nintendo Everything, JAW CEO and Oddworld Inhabitants development director Stewart Gilray said the game won’t release on Wii due to the original title being “built on extremely old tech” – therefore, developing it for Wii U would be difficult.

“Munch is built on extremely old tech, to bring it to PS3 and Vita was quite a struggle because of this, and it’s not one I’d want to repeat with WiiU, sorry,” said Gilray.

Gilray and his team is currently developing Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New’N’Tasty, due for release this fall on PC, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U and Xbox 360.

Just Add Water has been confirmed as a PS4 developer by Sony, but haven’t revealed what they’re working on for it yet.

1. monkeygourmet

Weren’t they just praising Nintendo, or am I going mad?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Yes but it is definitively different to what they said in January 2012

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    New N Tasty is also due on Wii U: if you check out their site/wikipedia.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Froseidon

To be fair, their other Odd World ports have been full of bugs and graphic issues. Just Add Water aren’t that great, at least in my opinion.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fethennour

Just one more of the many game developers that already said “no plans for Wii U”. This device (I can’t even call it a console) is barely good for one thing only : its exclusives. And there are not that much.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Thanks I fixed it. Was just a “crap there are so many formats out there did I forget one?” brain bork :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

I almost feel like whenever there’s a title due for home consoles from anyone but Nintendo or Ubisoft, it’s probably safer to assume it isn’t coming to Wii U, rather than assuming it might.

#7 1 year ago
  8. jeffb01

“Munch is built on extremely old tech, to bring it to PS3 and Vita was quite a struggle because of this…” – they make it sound like it already happened, but they announced munch for vita to come out last feb and it’s nowhere to be seen. I’ve always loved that game and I enjoyed replaying on ps3, be want my vita version…

#8 1 year ago
  9. fearmonkey

Munch was a Gamebryo game if I remember correctly, the same engine that was at the heart of Morrowind, oblivion, and a ton of other Xbox generation titles.

Porting to PS3 would have been not much fun, but it seems to me that they could have ported to Wii-u if they managed to do Vita.

I doubt they think the porting costs would bring much money back in regards to the Wii-u, which is a shame, because its the kind of title that would work great for that console.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Riseer

Froseidon,I did not know you was a developer.JAW is a very small team,at the time they made Strangers Wrath their was only 20 of them.They had to piece that game together bc OW lost lot’s of code.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

@10 – And that gives them a reason to release an incredibly poor port? No. No it doesn’t. There are very small teams out there who can do fantastic jobs, why should I give JAW any more lenience?

#11 1 year ago