PS4 European pre-orders not guaranteed after August 6

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 11:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has advised several UK retailers that PlayStation 4 pre-orders made after August 6 can no longer be guaranteed by launch.

Eurogamer reports that Sony issued a statement on the matter to retailers including Amazon and ShopTo.

ShopTo posted the blurb on its site, and it reads, “Sony have confirmed all PlayStation 4 pre-orders placed from 6th August will now not be guaranteed for launch. You can still pre-order PS4 with us in case we receive cancellations and can fulfil your order for launch.”

Amazon added on its site, “Please note – due to high demand, orders placed for the PlayStation 4 console from 6th August may be received after release date. We will ship orders as soon as we receive sufficient inventory.”

When asked for further details, ShopTo told Eurogamer that the statement came directly from Sony and applies to any European retailer stocking PS4.

There’s still no word to the press on the matter, or what this means for stock supplies in the run up to PS4′s launch later this year.

We’ve asked Sony for comment.

1. VibraniumSpork

To all those kids hoping that Mom ‘n Dad are picking them up a PS4 on Chrimbo Eve: http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/q/image/1347/66/1347664697212.jpg

#1 12 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Already pre-ordered mine thankfully :).

#2 12 months ago
  3. McLovin85

Not surprised considering it’s the only console everyone seems to want to get….

#3 12 months ago
  4. xXNapsterManXx

Speak for yourself mclovin I’m getting both.

#4 12 months ago
  5. super3001

xone only. dont want a ps3.5 its just a rehash of last gen. xone is forward facing.

#5 12 months ago
  6. MCTJim

I knew this was going to happen..just waiting on the same announcement for the states..ebay trolls are gonna make some $$ this Christmas.

#6 12 months ago
  7. zinc

^^ It has to be forward facing for the kinnect to spy on you!

#7 12 months ago
  8. redwood

^ zinc wins!! fatality

#8 12 months ago
  9. Belmont

Can anyone give a rough estimate (read guess)on how many units will be sold on launch ? (in general, for X1 as well)

#9 12 months ago
  10. DrDamn

Yes. Yes they can.

#10 12 months ago
  11. viralshag

I have both pre-ordered but I’m only keeping one. None if the price is right… #6 knows what I mean!

Come on suckers, cough up that impatient cash!

#11 12 months ago
  12. Belmont

So, how many units do you guess?

#12 12 months ago
  13. viralshag

@12, I’m going to keep my guesses low and say by Christmas 3.5 million for PS4 and 2.8 million Xbox One.

#13 12 months ago
  14. DrDamn

Sorry just being facetious. :)

It’s going to depend very much on how many they can make – both will be constrained by supply I think. Figures for both around 3m with the PS4 selling a little more than the X1.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Dragon246

How about a thread where we predict sales of next-gen? :D
    I would personally like to put up a number only after we get release date and all such info.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Belmont

Thanks ! :) But why are console launches always tight on supply ? I mean, when was the last time an iPhone launch was tight on supply ? (It happened with htc One, but in gaming it is like it always happens)

Good idea.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Dragon246

@16,
    Its because new phone models release every year, so its a common occurrence and manufacturers plan for it. However, console gen change happen only once or twice a decade, so being supply constraint for a few early months isn’t surprising.
    Plus, consoles are much more powerful and complex than handhelds.
    Last, its better to produce less than to produce more.

#17 12 months ago
  18. super3001

should be easy to produce cheap ps3.5 it off shelf components with no innovation

xone has custom silicon and is a proper next gen machine. ps3.5 is not

#18 12 months ago
  19. sebastien rivas

Guys one quick question,

Why many state Kinnect spies on people, if it not just a type of camera for Just Dance installement and alike?
    Or Microsoft already said it can be used whenever, wherever, however by third parties?

I have been looking into it and nothing is relevant to spiying beside the fact the kinect may be plugged in at all time.

#19 12 months ago
  20. deathm00n

@20 It can be acessed by any developer. It can count how many people there is in a room and display ads properly for the amount of people (there’s rumours that it will see how many people are watching a movie and lock it if the amount of people surpass the amount disclaimed in the copyright). It gathers your habits, like wich ad you skip and wich ad you watch without skipping, so it can show the ads that interests you.

Pretty intrusive thing if you ask me. To make these adjusts it must send data to the mothership (so to speak). Ads are on the internet you know, to show differents ads according to your tastes it NEED to send data to the internet. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to read a little more on how things work on the internet age.

The problem is, with the NSA polemic, who guarantees that the government will not ask this data from microsoft? It’s going to be a huge amount of data if what they promise is going to happen.

#20 12 months ago
  21. sebastien rivas

@ 21

Wowwwwwwwww, what the hell.

How can even a single person who think can say ok to that. NSA implication or not helps me get into kinect at all.

there’s rumours that it will see how many people are watching a movie and lock it if the amount of people surpass the amount disclaimed in the copyright.
    Just that alone repels me for my care of privacy and freedom. If I rent a movie, it is for my whole family and boy we are 3 at home, sometimes we go up to 12+ counting the parents and grandparents.
    Sorry, you have exceeded the amount of people sitting on the coach. We must charge you another 25 dollars, please insert CC now”.

Boy if I own a xbox 1, no more kissing my wife on the coach :/

You must be kidding of course. I do not see how any of this can be real, and stil generate a fan base.

Seriously I cannot believe it, that is going too far into privacy scrutiny and I cannot see how a company like Microsoft whom loves to make profits would go that far low.

#21 12 months ago
  22. deathm00n

@22 I can’t guarantee that 100% of it is true, it’s been sometime since I’ve stopped following Xbox One updates. But the last time I’ve read about it, that was the case. The movie thing was a rumour. But the custom ads were something someone from microsoft talked about.

#22 12 months ago
  23. sebastien rivas

I would expect custom ads.

I do not want it.
    It is extremely annoying and repeling no matter its content, games or toothbrushes. But I know it is coming unfortunately.
    That is definitely a bad bad bad point for microsoft to get me in the xbox game.

I can go even further by stating again the root issue of creating games demands so much manpower and time consumption that AAA company will eventually include ads that will impair game experience much like TV ads, you watch a movie (that by the way is called a filler by the TV channel) and then get 10 minutes of downtime with ads because ads is what generate money to subsists. I knew it would be coming to consoles and soon all of them and I know it will come in games in the form of impairment.
    Freaky … yes, unrealistic …yes for the moment, improbable … certainly not.

#23 12 months ago