Bethesda’s Wii U absence is “largely a hardware thing”, says Hines

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 08:57 GMT By Dave Cook

Bethesda’s vice-president of PR & marketing Pete Hines has re–iterated the company’s stance that Wii U is not on its immediate radar.

Speaking with Joystiq at QuakeCon, Hines said, “None of the games we’ve announced are being developed for the Wii U, so it’s guaranteed that none of those games are coming to Wii U.

“Will any future ones come out? I can’t say for sure, in our near-term focus it’s not on our radar.”

This rules out Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Elder Scrolls Online and The Evil Within on Nintendo’s format.

“It’s largely a hardware thing,” Hines continued, and added that as a company Bethesda aims to “make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed.”

He stressed that while Bethesda’s current slate of games isn’t coming to Wii U, “it remains to be seen what the future holds.”

One example he gave was that while Bethesda The Elder Scrolls Online could have been released on Xbox 360 if it were not for hardware limitations, so rather than push something out for the hell of it, it seems Bethesda played it safe.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks PlayerAttack.

1. Pytox

auch

#1 1 year ago
  2. tezzer1985

I’m confused, isn’t the Wii U hardwear built around current gen tech, or is it cause the hardwear doesn’t sale like 360/PS3

#2 1 year ago
  3. backup

100% right
    and add PC to it

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

It seems fair. Sales of the console aren’t amazing and game sales aren’t any better when you look at games sold vs consoles in homes. It just wouldn’t make sense right now to spend the money on it.

I think going forward the PS4/X1/PC will develop better games as the gen goes on we won’t see the WiiU left behind but more put in the same group as the 360/PS3.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mike W

It’s because the system isn’t selling to well at the moment. It’s unfortunate, because I think the Wii U has the potential to be something great.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@5, I think it could have been but once the X1/PS4 hits and start marketing their ability to use your existing tablet I think it nullifies the WiiU’s USP.

Obviously, those tablets like the iPad won’t be as involved in the gameplay as something on the WiiU but I think it’s something that will connect with a lot of people. I know I’m really looking forward to seeing how the integration of consoles and tablets will work.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

Its a hardware thing = We don’t like Nintendo hardware.

And who can blame them? Why split dev team focus to throw Ninty a bone?

#7 1 year ago
  8. KoojoPanda

The nice way of saying WiiU is not powerful enough for those titles as they stand.

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

Unless Wii U’s architecture is too different compared to PS3 / 360, I think he is lying.

Seriously, is the cost of porting a game from one last gen console (PS3/360) to another (Wii U) that high or is there another reason?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Professor Zoom

Bethesda making games to Nintendo’s platform? Seriously? The U is just a kids toy, I don’t understand all the hype it gets for all it’s long term outdated first pary franchises.

#10 1 year ago
  11. deathm00n

@9 I think it’s a lie, they simply don’t want to waste money on a console that is stepping in dangerous ground right now. We don’t know if it will survive. Sales aren’t on its side.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Christopher Jack

I don’t even know why anyone but Nintendo would bother developing for a Nintendo home console. Sure the few Japanese & casual games sell somewhat well but other than that good luck surviving to anyone relying on the Wii U.

Nintendo created this hole themselves, now they’ve got to live with it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. sebastien rivas

Bethesda is not wrong but Bethesda is wrong.

Bethesda thrive for next gen quality game and in those terms is visual quality. This does not mean only cuter polygons the better but also everything around it from in game atmospheric to striking lights etc…
    This to say that effectively the Wii U may be on par in some areas against Ps3 and 360 . It does not mean it is fully equal or better.

Also is Bethesda game/genre/style age group in full compliance is a question.

Now ehat makes me sad is the fact Bethesda does not see a huge opportunity not to port games to wii U but develop new experiment titles from which they could be not ported to Ps4/xbox1 but emphasized, enlarged etc… There is so much to be done in terms of innovation, game play and mechanics that it trully makes me sad to see such rash decision.

#13 1 year ago