PS Vita firmware 2.60 rolling out, changes detailed

Tuesday, 6th August 2013 08:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony is rolling out its PS Vita firmware 2.60 update, and reports suggest that the changes make the system more convenient in many ways.

Tinkering around with the update, Polygon report that the update allows quick uploading and downloading of game saves via PlayStation Plus cloud storage, as well as adding a PS Plus icon to the LiveArea screen for each game. Simply tap the icon to move your saves around on the cloud.

You can also access and play content from any connected PlayStation 3 or PC using the PS Vita’s on board music and video apps.

By holding down the PS button, users can now quickly enable flight safe mode, tweak wi-fi settings, adjust brightness and volume, as well as turning Bluetooth on or off.

What do you make of the update?

1. dizzygear

The shortcut to flight mode is cool since i often toggle it on and off to save battery.

Its kinda bullshit you can only upload saves to PS+ instead of copying them to a PC or PS3 like with the PSP. Right now the only way you do that is to back up the entire device which is a pain in the ass.

#1 9 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

I wish they’d just overhaul the whole UI, the PS store looks terrible and I don’t like the little bubble icons on the LiveArea either.

It really puts me off using my Vita, feels like a very cheap and outdated UI, hopefully it’ll be more like the PS4 or current PS3 UI some time in the future.

#2 9 months ago
  3. frostface

I haven’t installed the update yet but really the only thing I want to see improved is the pausing of game downloads when the Vita goes asleep. The amount of times I’d be downloading a game, leaving the system down while I head off to do whatever, come back expecting the game to be ready for install but find that’s it’s sitting there paused at download because the Vita went asleep.

Everything else I can live with and the changes do sound nice. I’ll try it out later.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Esper

They improved the bubbles considerably.
    Now

#4 9 months ago
  5. DrDamn

Aside from the look of the bubbles and their layout I really like the interface. Best of any console. It’s slick, customisable and fast. I really like the LiveArea screens for games which allow you to see info, or launch straight into a particular feature of a game directly (NB: This is coming to the PS4 interface too).

Yeah that’s the other annoyance. Think I’m going to turn off going to sleep and just get used to doing it manually.

#5 9 months ago
  6. dizzygear

@4 While looking slightly better im still missing the option to resize them. A theming option and an option to hide unused icons would be nice too.

@2 Yeah the Vita PS Store is a mess too. Broken download icons, the irritating nag screen to share my activities that cant be turned off, still cant browser for avatars or wallpapers from the Vita store, etc

The whole Vita OS really feels like an after thought IMO.

#6 9 months ago
  7. frostface

@5 can you turn off sleep mode? I’m pretty sure I looked a couple of nights ago but only seen the option to choose how long before it goes into sleep mode, turning it off wasn’t an option there I don’t think? I don’t have my Vita with me so I can’t check right now.

#7 9 months ago
  8. polygem

my main fear for the ps4, the shop, the OS and UI…not sonys strengths but i want something sleek and functional in my console.

i agree with those vita bubbles. it´s functional but man is that stuff ugly. come on. tech needs to be sexy.

#8 9 months ago
  9. DrDamn

You are right though there may be a way round it …

So start download and then get it to display a slideshow? Bit odd but it might work.

#9 9 months ago
  10. FeaturePreacher

Your problem can be solved by going to the settings menu, go to power save settings, and check the option for use wifi in power save mode.

I think the activities sharing can be changed in settings, PlayStation Network, privacy settings, share activities, and select no one.

#10 9 months ago
  11. frostface

@9 Thanks mate, I’ll try that later though it’s certainly odd to have to use a workaround like that for a feature that the Vita uses quite often.

#11 9 months ago
  12. actuallyisnotafox

they actually changed the “Photos” background too :p

#12 9 months ago
  13. DrDamn

I don’t think that is what Wi-fi power save mode is about.

It’s about using less power in general – not running whilst the Vita is asleep.

#13 9 months ago
  14. FeaturePreacher

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what it’s used for since my downloads will continue even when the Vita is sleeping.

#14 9 months ago
  15. DrDamn

Well I had it enabled and mine doesn’t. What you describe doesn’t match the description of the feature either.

#15 9 months ago
  16. frostface

I’m also pretty sure I’ve that box ticked and it still doesn’t work. I’ll have to check later.

#16 9 months ago
  17. dizzygear

@10 I have it set to noone but it still nags me if i want to share my activity everytime i grab some thing off the PS Store.

@15 I have Use WiFi in powersave mode enabled and i just downloaded a 1GB patch for PSO2. The system went to sleep and when i picked it up 1 hour later the download was complete without any issues. So yeah it *is* supposed to continue downloading in sleep mode.

#17 9 months ago
  18. hook5001

I just did this update yesterday and it worked fine, but today, I was playing for a bit and then the game froze. so I closed the game and tried to restart it but it said an error has occurred. So I turned my vita off and when i turned it back on, it said “A serious system error has occured.The system will now restart” and it had a code under it that was like e-fffff-c. So the the ps vita shutdown and when it turned on again, all you could see was the playstation logo. Not even the blue light. I tried restarting it again by holding the power button but same thing happended. i also tried safemode but nothing happened. If anyone is haveing this problem and knows a solution. please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 9 months ago
  19. frostface

It hasn’t happened to me mate, sorry to hear you’re having problems. Honestly not too sure what you can do but you can access the recovery console if you’re all out of ideas.

Details on how to do it here http://factory-reset.com/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

Just be aware it might not fix your problem and if you re-format your HDD you’ll be wiping everything off it, including game saves and all your installed games. Use it as a very last option.

You could try just powering off fully your Vita, take out the memory card check for any damage on it, replace it again and see if maybe it wasn’t seated correctly. Not really too sure what else to suggest or if it’ll even work.

#19 9 months ago