The Last of Us was censored in Europe, Naughty Dog confirms

Monday, 5th August 2013 01:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Naughty Dog has confirmed that the PAL territory version of The Last of Us is missing some elements found in the American release.

After weeks of questions from suspicious players, a community manager answered a private message from a user, and their response was posted on the Naughty Dog forums (mirrored on the PlayStation forums).

“The gore and violence ratings are subject to local regulatory boards in various countries, so the game must be slightly changed in order to accommodate those choices,” the representative wrote.

“If you import the North/South American version, it will not be censored, but EU/UK will be.”

As a result of the censorship, the version of the game released in Europe, Australia and other PAL territories is missing certain elements of gore in multiplayer mode. Survivors cannot be dismembered, and there’s much less blood.

Naughty Dog has said there’s nothing it can do about the community guidelines of the territories the game is sold in, and has not responded to requests for a toggle in the menu options restoring the gore.

Fans have raised questions as to why the censorship is extended to territories like the UK which have more liberal content guidelines than Germany and Australia. Some disgruntled PAL territory gamers have voiced anger at the lack of forewarning of the censorship, noting that they would have imported an American copy if advised of the missing gore.

The Last of Us’s single-player campaign is uncut in all territories.

Thanks, Lengendaryboss.

1. Tyrantsoul

I loved the story of TLOU and I would play it again.If any game really didn’t need Multi-Player it was TLOU.After playing through my initial play-through I thought I would really like to platinum it,only to find it has 4 online trophies.So that kind of spoiled it abit for me.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Luciferous

I’m okay with this as long as the SP Campaign was left intact.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Beta

Single player campaign is untouched so personally I’m indifferent to this.

Though I can understand how the lack of forewarning would upset people.

#3 12 months ago
  4. xBASSxMONSTAx

Frustrated as an EU player. Why wasn’t this mentioned beforehand? If I would had known then I would of imported it. Why would Naughty Dog even keep this a secret?

#4 12 months ago
  5. polygem

i enjoyed the story but i thought the gameplay is very very repetitive. i was a bit disappointed by naughty dog and cannot really see where all the love letters for them are coming from these days. jak and dax is still my fave franchise from them by far.
    TLOU is a beautiful game, great writing and acting but in the gameplay department it really lacks creativity and yeah…fun. the crafting system isn´t enough to make this game great. i am on my second playthrough on survivor difficulty right now and it´s much better like that but i doubt that i will finish it again, it´s just not good and enjoyable enough as a game. not saying it´s bad, it´s a good game but no masterpiece. average game with some elite make up. acting truly is great though (story is pretty weak if you compare to a movie or book though -and that´s what they have been aiming for).
    that said, the mp is where this game shines, the sp elements putted into the mp works so much better because it´s less scripted and that´s making things more intense actually, scavenging items is the key here and you must be faster than your opponent, again, it´s very flawed too, clunky – but atmospheric and yeah, somehow innovative. it´s a lot of fun and in the end the best part of the game imho.
    i am not a fan of adding mp to every game and initialy i would have said this game doesn´t need one but in fact i enjoy the mp 10 times more than the sp so i cannot confirm that anymore.
    i have the EU version. while i don´t like buying a censored game obviously, i don´t care, i´ll stick with my copy.

sorry for the rant but if i play a game that gets that much praise, the expectations are high. i played it, still play the mp and bought the season pass for that. it´s a good game but just not a great one. the mp is innovative enough to have a reason to pick up the game…for the sp alone i wouldn´t recommend it or would say: rental – no must play game.

i wish people would stop calling this the best game ever made – because it´s not even close.

#5 12 months ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@5, I agree poly, it was very repetitive indeed and if it wasn’t for a half decent story I probably wouldn’t have played it to the end. But a great game nonetheless.

#6 12 months ago
  7. silkvg247

If i’d have known this before, I wouldn’t have bought it.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Rockshow2oo8

US Version Only!

1. http://www.gifti.me/i/dOy4A.gif

2. http://www.gifti.me/i/pN7JF0Wj.gif

3. http://www.gifti.me/i/wQNvPK.gif

4. http://www.gifti.me/i/Ryvz9.gif

5. http://www.gifti.me/i/EKGw3D.gif

6. http://www.gifti.me/i/iVnyJ.gif

7. http://www.gifti.me/i/kTMWEyFR.gif

The Last of Us – Censorship / Official Forum Thread: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/ND-Responds-The-Last-of-Us-Censorship-Compared-NSFW/td-p/40854677

#8 12 months ago
  9. deathm00n

@8 Really? The Brazilian version is censored too then. It’s pretty dumb to shoot the guy head with a shotgun and nothing happening.

I’ve read in the topic and I agree. Now I feel like I’ve paid for a incomplete product. There should be a patch add an option to show gore. A game that tries to be realistic and doesn’t have exploding heads isn’t realistic.

#9 12 months ago
  10. MadFingerz

meh, if it was missing from the SP I would be pissed but only MP was affected so I don’t really care. Would be nice if it was left intact but not enough to throw a fit.

@poly, to each its own. For me, despite some shortcomings, this was the game so far in this gen that impressed me the most. Though to be honest I’ve been missing in a lot of games…

#10 12 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

We can even go as far as to say its false advertising
    Official European Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M632lzqTtLY

The dismemberment is present there and not in the game.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Gheritt White

WOW – is gore like that really necessary? Does it really add to how much you enjoy the game?

#12 12 months ago
  13. Rockshow2oo8

BANNED!!!

A message from Ramify (the guy who started the original thread on TLOU Forums, about TLOU MP being censored)…

Link here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Media-Coverage-The-Last-of-Us-Censorship-Compared-NSFW/td-p/40854677

“I was banned from PS Forums…”

Picture Link Here: http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Rockshow2oo8/Slikica610_zpsf2fcdce5.jpg

So yeah, he was banned!!! It has come to this, soon we will all be banned, and the original TLOU Forum thread edited, censored, closed, and forgotten? And for what? For seeking out the truth, and answers. Well I guess, this society isn’t so “free” as we think it is! This is a small issue compared to some of the bigger problems in the world (wars, famine ect.), but it still doesn’t deserve to be put under the rug.

#13 12 months ago
  14. deathm00n

@13 Yep, we need some answers…

#14 12 months ago
  15. YoungZer0

Now you might get a glimpse of what it’s like to live in germany/australia.

#15 12 months ago
  16. sebastien rivas

@ 13

I get it….

It is extremely sad to see this kind of reaction from Naughty Dog.

Perhaps they should not make this game in first place for those concerned restricted zones.
    That would make a clear statement why unfortunately piracy exists….

#16 12 months ago