District 9 director Neill Blomkamp regards collapse of Halo movie as the biggest stroke of luck in his career

Monday, 5th August 2013 12:42 GMT By Dave Cook

District 9 and Elysium director Neill Blomkamp has cited the collapse of the Halo movie both he and Peter Jackson were set to collaborate on the biggest stroke of luck in his career. He has said that had the project not dissolved he wouldn’t have made District 9 and learned several life lessons along the way.

Speaking with LA Times Hero Complex, Blomkamp explained that after the Halo project was canned, Jackson sympathetically helped the director find funding for his own pet project District 9, which incidentally went on to be a commercial and critical success after release.

He said, “The luck is the fact that Peter and Fran let me make [‘District 9’] out of the ruins that were ‘Halo’. What happened out of that was learning to trust my ideas. If ‘Halo’ had come out and succeeded or failed, I wouldn’t have learned that.”

Once District 9 proved that Blomkamp knew how to manage his budget efficiently to create superb visual effects, other big studios started firing blockbuster projects his way, only to turn them down and stick to his own ideas.

“It’s getting to the point now where [his agency] WME just doesn’t send me stuff any more. It’s not because I think I’m better than any of that stuff. There are many franchises out there I would love to participate in. The problem is when you agree to do that, you take a lot of the control that you have over your own creative destiny away from yourself.”

Blomkamp is gearing up for the release of his new sci-fi flick Elysium, which looks pretty damn intriguing. What do you think of the above?

Thanks Hitfix.

1. TheBlackHole

I love this guy. Used to watch his shorts and ad work long before the halo connection. Alive in Joburg (the short film district 9 is based on) is awesome, and shows his ability to create excellent special effects in a pseudo-documentary setting.

I love that he can give the finger the greedy execs who wouldn’t let him direct Halo. I have to say though, Garland’s script was pretty bland.

I’d love to see this guy tackle on of the new Star Wars movies, or perhaps something more abstract, like the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Belazur

Yep, he is awesome.
    Keep doing your own stuff.

#2 12 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

@1: Naw, man. That’s the great thing about Blomkamp, his own work is so much better than any possible adaptations.

I’m glad. He’s the breath of fresh air Hollywood seems to miss.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Biscuitpants

@1 got a link for alexs script?

#4 12 months ago
  5. Judicas

Will happily watch anything this guy makes as District 9 really impressed me as being unique and entertaining. Alot better then all the generic remakes and rehashes that keep getting spun out.

#5 12 months ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

Can anyone who’s seen it tell me if Elysium is of a similar standard to District 9?

#6 12 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

@6 not out until the end of the week unless people have seen screenings.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Citrus raptor

@1 Echoing Biscuitpoants, I’d be thankful to know where I can find the script.

#8 12 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

@7:

Oh. Didn’t know that. Saw the trailer months ago, and thought it would be out by now.

Thanks.

#9 12 months ago
  10. OrbitMonkey

Plus he got to be in the A-Team!

#10 12 months ago
  11. IwastheStig

Proud of my fellow South African and looking forward to his next project “Chappie”
    @10 Niel wasn’t in A-Team that was fellow SA actor Sharlto Copley.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Darksider123

District 9 is brilliant. I’m looking forward to elysium

#12 12 months ago
  13. Anarkist

I can’t understand why people enjoyed watching District 9. I regard Neill Blomkamp in the league of Uwe Boll or in video game terms, Cevat Yerli from Crytek, all special effects overlaying a distinct lack of substance.

I personally found his portrayal of native South Africans as one dimensional ciphers disquietening, let alone how he depicted the Nigerians, which was thoroughly horrendous.

I was actually looking looking forward to seeing Elysium, after seeing the trailer on TV. Its doubtful I’ll watch it unless it gets exceedingly good reviews.

#13 12 months ago