Doom 4 is still in development but id Software can’t talk about it right now

Saturday, 3rd August 2013 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Doom 4 was once again a no-show at QuakeCon 2013, and during hos keynote, id Software technical director John Carmack’ said he couldn’t talk about the long overdue shooter.

When asked by a fan about its status during the Q&A portion of his talk Carmack said he even asked ahead of time if he could say anything related to development, and “the answer was, no, I couldn’t.”

The game was being retooled as of 2011, and according to id’s co-founder Tim Willits said the company has now focused its efforts only on Doom 4 and no other game at present.

He also said the game, which was announced by Carmack at QuakeCon 2007, was mainly an effort to attract new talent to the studio.

“We have found that long PR cycles don’t help,” Willits said to Polygon. “They’re a distraction to the development team. Your message can easily get diluted if you’re not careful. Bethesda has had great success with – heck, look at the Skyrim launch, that was like nine months!

“One of the problems we got into — it’s always easy to say that — is that way back, when we wanted to grow the studio and look for great talent, we said, ‘Hey, we’re going to make another Doom game.’ We thought, ‘If we tell people we’re going to make another Doom game, we’re gonna attract some great talent.’ But that put a flagpole in the ground of when people thought we started on Doom. We wanted to throw that out there to tell people, ‘This is what we’re working on for the future, but we want to find people to do it.

“It takes forever to hire people. It takes months to hire one person. But yeah, it was a while. But again, like we said, now we’re streamlined. It’s difficult for developers to always have to make demos, go to events and shows, and at the end of the day, a great launch is important for a game, but a great game is important for success.”

At least it’s still in development, and hopefully, this will be the last QuakeCon it misses out on.

1. loci

I will do the talking for them.
    It will include a lot more jump scares than Doom 3 and the graphics will be better.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Kabby

The problem with id is not their tech nor their art assets. It’s the dog shit game design and terrible story telling.

#2 9 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

I know this will never happen, but I wish they would take what made Doom so great and make a new version. Doom 3 was decent but not near as fun as the original. I would love a game that was more an homage to the original than a dark scare based game.

I wish Activision would reboot Heretic…………..

#3 9 months ago
  4. sebastien rivas

@ 3
    I am all way with you. While I liked glauk, scary story/action in Doom III, I also think and miss Doom.

Also Heretic is a great game that completely deserves a sequel or a revamp

#4 9 months ago
  5. TD_Monstrous69

Vapor ware status in my eyes. Till they show something, I don’t care.

#5 9 months ago
  6. MrWaffles

I’m fine with Doom 4 development news staying inside id, push it out the door when it’s done, don’t rush it.

Having said that, here’s what I want for the next one:
    Keep it dark, keep it slow.
    Let the player have an spider-like vehicle to kill stuff.
    Make it EASY to do stupid and unexpected shit inside the game, it will help getting marketing :)

Youtube vids titled: Doom 4 full level painted in blood xmas-edition” would just make so much sense.

Anyone feels Doom 4 needs to leave the linear-hallway design behind and let the demon world welcome the player?

#6 9 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I’d honestly love to see them do a new Quake: Arena game. I miss those games.

#7 9 months ago
  8. DuckOfDestiny

Just hire the team that remade Rise of the Triad.

#8 9 months ago
  9. MrWaffles

But… working on a remake is easier than creating a new entry on the series without fucking up.

Staying too close to the old games is bad, and making it too different alienates ‘true fans’, which means bad pr at launch.

Finding that sweet spot betweem innovation and nostalgia is the goal.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Ballisticon

#7 I was thinking the same thing.

Make Doom 4 the same as RtCW but Sci-Fi. I’d buy that. The MP should be old-school Doom/Quake.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Gheritt White

I would also LOVE another game in the Heretic series, especially if it was akin to the glorious Heretic 2.

#11 9 months ago