KOTOR 3 was in pre-production at Obsidian

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 23:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Today in news likely to make you fall to your knees and do the Darth Vader “noooo”, the never-greenlit Knights of the Old Republic 3 sounds like it was going to be totally sweet.

KOTOR 3 was in pre-production at Obsidian Entertainment, Chris Avellone told Eurogamer in a podcast – and that’s why KOTOR 1′s Revan didn’t appear much in KOTOR2; the character would have made a return in the third game, closing the trilogy.

“I always liked the idea that Revan, as smart and powerful as your player-character was, was actually even more of a brilliant strategist than became apparent in the first game,” Avellone said.

“The entire second game is littered with clues as to ‘why didn’t Revan destroy the infrastructure here? What was he trying to make sure was still intact? What did he/she see that no one else saw?’

“I thought that was giving a nice nod to ‘wait a minute, Revan realises there’s an even larger force at work here, and he’s focusing his efforts on that and keeping the big picture in mind’. That was one thing – the idea that there was a larger, global conspiracy.”

The conspiracy in question concerned a previously unencountered kind of Sith lord.

“The idea was that even before the ‘modern day’ Sith came into being in The Old Republic there were even more distant Sith Lords that were considered the true Sith, and the idea that they were still lurking out there in the galaxy waiting for a chance to strike, kind of like the Shadows in Babylon 5, I thought would be a cool finale for that Old Republic trilogy.

In the proposed third game, players would have fulfilled the role of a character called the Exile, who would have attempted to track Revan down. It’s not certain whether the two characters would ever come face to face.

It sounds like Obsidian had qite fleshed out-ideas; the game would retain familiar features like the Ebon Hawk, the base and the player character’s home, and would see the return of companions T3-M4 and HK-47. In one sequence, HK-47′s legs would be removed, and the player would carry the robot in a backpack; it would provide cover fire.

Despite its ambitious plans and the success of the first two games, Obsidian was unsuccessful in getting the sequel greenlit.

“It was a matter of getting LucasArts to greenlight the title. To be honest I don’t know all the reasons that went into this, whether they wanted to have an internal team do it, whether they logistics didn’t work out…” Avellone said.

“Ultimately, it felt like we were pitching and pitching and it just wasn’t going anywhere, and at some point people just drew a line and said ‘it’s just not going to happen’, which made us kind of sad, but, OK, if that’s the business, that’s the business.”

The full podcast report goes into detail on why Obsidian released KOTOR 2 unfinished, and includes a heartfelt thanks from Avellone to the modders who helped restore the lost content so players could experience it. It’s pretty much a must-read (or listen) for any KOTOR fan.

1. FrankWhite

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

man, it was probably denied because they were planning SWTOR as far back as 2006/2007.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#1 12 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

#2 12 months ago
  3. GwynbleiddiuM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO……..

I’m fucking beside myself right now. I feel like I need to write a very distasteful letter to George Lucas and let him know what a cunt he is and his ex-company too. There should be a KOTOR III announcement very soon otherwise “There wont be a heart left beating!” because The Emperor’s Wroth’s taste for vengeance MUST BE SATISFIED!

@1 Even so, TOR’s story takes place 300 years or so after the Revan story. It could not possibly affect the MMO. :’((

PS: WHY LUCAS, WHAAAAAAAAAAY?!

#3 12 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

Glad it was canned. KOTOR 2 was god awful especially with all the loopholes left because LucasArts wanted it out ASAP. Obsidian doesn’t know how to write a story. Their design philosophy is to have the player just be a shell and let the story unfold where I prefer to actually have control over it.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Juicimus Prime Rib

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

Still would of been nice to have a trilogy for the video games. I never got to play #2, but the first was awesome for me.

#5 12 months ago
  6. apollyonbob

Yeah it’s possible you’re not remembering KotoR’s 2 story. Where does this come from? There are people that think KotoR 2 was a good game? KotoR 2 was a mediocre sequel to a great game. That doesn’t make it good.

It felt like it was a carbon copy of the engine, though based on the number of new bugs it obviously wasn’t. But they changed very little.

And the story was about, spoiler alert, someone who wants to destroy the Force. The Force itself. Destroy it.

It was mind numbingly stupid. And even then, it was only half-finished when it was released. Are the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia really that opaque?

The only thing that could have saved it was that Obsidian knows how to craft worlds. The world they set up, with the Triumverate, the awesome (and pathetically underused) Nihilus, the Jedi being nearly wiped out by assassins, etc. That was all awesome.

But then the plot of the game was that someone wants to destroy the Force.

Wow.

Also, @3 You really think that there’s no way, in a science fantasy setting like Star Wars, that Revan could show up in The Old Republic? Another spoiler alert – he does.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@6 KotoR 2 was a solid sequel, with far better characters overall, that was unfortunately cut short. The restoration patch goes a long way in rectifying a lot of problems with the original.

#7 12 months ago
  8. apollyonbob

@6 Does the restoration patch patch out the absurd storyline about wanting to destroy the Force?

I suspect it does not.

Although I suppose it’s possible that it does patch in something for Nihilus to do. Does it also patch out Nihilu’s ridiculous and anti-climatic death by menu option?

#8 12 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

The writing in KotOR 2 was in general much, much better. Loved every single character in the game. Can’t remember the cast from KotOR 1.

#9 12 months ago
  10. FrankWhite

Yeah, KOTOR 2 was a great game, and people exaggerate dramatically about the bugs or problems. The game, even without the restored content is a great RPG.

But lots of people drink the kool aid and think it is cool to bash kotor2, lots of them haven’t even played the game or beat it. i have beaten kotor 2 numerous times without any bugs or problems.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@8 You’re talking about the absurdity of a plot involving the destruction of the force… in a lore populated by giant slugs, moon sized starships, a universe spanning religioun based peace keeping organisation… and weapons made of light.

Star Wars is the definition of absurdity. I don’t feel the need to get hung up on the technicalities of fictional universes as long as the stories are good and the characters are well realised.

I fully admitted the game was cut short, and lacked as a result, and I’m not going to deny that it was unfortunate, but yes, it does.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Generalizing much?

I have played the game and beaten it and yes I still hate it. Obsidian is practically the MCDonalds of RPGs. They are quick, cheap and lack substance.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Samuel

As big of a KOTOR fan as I am, I kind of don’t mind that Obsidian didn’t get to make another one, with their track record. There’s still hope that another one might be made, and that someone else might make it.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 I completely disagree.

Alpha Protocol notwithstanding, I’ve found Obsidian to have some of the best writers and stories in the entire industry. Their characters are always incredibly fleshed out, their sense of place and location unmatched, and their plot multi-faceted and smart. None of that pretentious Hideo Kojima-like bullshit.

Obsidian are the flawed but well made indie movies to AAA summer blockbuster releases of other companies. They rarely look as flashy, but they have a dozen times more substance.

They could do with hiring a few more bug testers, mind you…

#14 12 months ago
  15. Phoenixblight

Thats your opinion not mine. I can only think of a single Obsidian game I have enjoyed as much as CD Projekt or Bioware games before and after the buyout and that is New Vegas and not even New Vegas the game but the Old WOrld Blues DLC. I am cautiously optimistic about Stick of Truth though and that is only because Trey and Matt Stone are involved.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 “Thats your opinion not mine.”

Obviously.

Stick of Truth is probably the most uninteresting thing they’ve ever done in my eyes, but that’\ because I think the show is garbage anyway. So my view on the game is going to be slanted negatively right from the get go.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Digital Bamboo

Goddamnit.

#17 12 months ago
  18. GwynbleiddiuM

The problem with KOTOR II is not in the story telling but in plot shift and going from the story of Revan to Meetra Surik and it’s because they have always thought that there is gonna be a KOTOR III that can explain and draw conclusion to both, which did not happen thanks to Lucas Fucks. I hope Disney can make it happen, otherwise the entire buyout of the franchise is pointless.

BTW, the whole destroying the Force aspect of the argument is ridiculous since neither Darth Nihilus nor Emperor ever sought to destroy it. Nihilus had this unsatisfying hunger for the Force the more darkness and destruction he caused and tapped into the dark forces those destruction created the hungrier he became.

It was very similar to what the Emperor wanted, to destroy life on the galaxy in a ritual and become a god-like being.

@IM Keep Kojima out of this damn ya. :|

#18 12 months ago
  19. Phoenixblight

” I hope Disney can make it happen, otherwise the entire buyout of the franchise is pointless.”

EA has the game rights to the IP and the studios working with the IP are DICE, Bioware and Visceral.

#19 12 months ago
  20. GwynbleiddiuM

@19 TBH I wouldn’t mind either way, but I do hope BioWare somehow collaborates with Obsidian if they want to make the KOTOR 3. I don’t what they’re doing atm but I suspect Casey Hudson’s team is on it, and I’m cautiously optimistic about it.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

They aren’t going to get involved with Obsidian. There is no need to if you play TOR there is very little about KOTOR 2. You blink and you miss it.

#21 12 months ago
  22. wickedcricket

Revan is such a sissy:/ and utterly boring character… Darth Bane on the other hand they should totally make a trilogy about him:D

#22 12 months ago
  23. Blackened Halo

Im your father
    MOTHERFUCKERNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( no :(

#23 12 months ago
  24. Gheritt White

#24 12 months ago
  25. bradk825

Well, I guess it’s time to head down there and set myself on fire in the lobby…

#25 12 months ago
  26. sebastien rivas

I would say to Obsidian “Do not despair, the force is with you!”

I want to assume something. I want to assume that Mr Lucas is/was or already sold rights from which at the same or too close around were Obsidian pitching for KOTOR 3 while Mr Lucas may not want to be associated or could not be associated with giving a green light for obscure reasons.

Not giving a green light to Obsidian for KOTOR 3 is like saying Star Wars movies sequels I to VI never worked in theater. You know it does not make sense, you know Obsidian with KOTOR 3 would bump Star Wars franchise sells much higher, so the reason lays somewhere else.

Personally I am more than ready for KOTOR 3 and KOTOR 4!!! because you know there is a sequel somehow, somewhere, as much as the force is in each and everyone of us :)
    Cheer,

#26 12 months ago
  27. 136199Goat

I’m sorry, but how in your right minds could you call the plot of Kotor 2 stupid? Because it’s original and unheard of for a Star Wars story?

I actually found the concept of killing the Force to be fascinating and… believe it or not, I found myself agreeing with Darth Traya in the end. Jedi, Sith… no, no the only TRUE evil is the Force. All it cares about is trying to have some sort of “balance”. Anakin, the Chosen One? He had no special destiny. He was just the Force’s slave to take advantage of and it used him to bring itself back into balance.

Brilliantly written, in my opinion.

#27 11 months ago