PS4 contains 5.5GB of RAM for developers – Sony clarifies

Friday, 26th July 2013 17:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Digital Foundry has been handed an internal PS4 document by a “well-placed development source,” which states the system reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, which would leave around 4.5GB of space for game code. Other sources have told EG that an additional 1GB of “flexible memory” is reclaimable from the OS reservation. Sony has issued a statement on these claims as well.

Comment from Sony

“We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our “direct” and “flexible” memory systems,” the firm said to Eurogamer in a statement. “The article states that “flexible” memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested – that’s not actually the case.

“The actual true distinction is that:

“Direct Memory” is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation –

“Flexible Memory” is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game’s behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100% the game’s memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game’s memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

“We have no comment to make on the amount of memory reserved by the system or what it is used for.”

So, basically now it means that: 4.5GB of conventional RAM is available to developers plus the OS-controlled flexible memory; there’s a 1GB virtual address space, split into two areas – 512MB of on-chip RAM is used (the physical area) and another 512MB is “paged” but 5GB of it is available to developers.

“The good news is that the amount is static and not dictated by OS functions as we stated in our original post, making it a lot easier for developers to work with,” said Digital Foundry.

My head hurts no less after that than it did yesterday.

Original story

I know nothing when it comes to specs. I know how much space is left on my PC hard drive because I can see the numbers. That’s it. In short, if I try to discuss anything technological I will come off as an idiot (shocking!) so I will just leave the main bits from the EG article below and not try to analyze anything for you. Plus, it might make me cry to try.

According to the report, Sony’s internal documents state 4.5GB is “the baseline amount of guaranteed memory available for game-makers and most likely what the lion’s share of launch titles will be using.”

However, other sources close to the console maker state developers can “request up to an additional gigabyte of “flexible memory”, and use it to boost elements of the game – but only if the background OS can spare it.”

Such a request isn’t “trivial,” and at the start it will probably only be made available to first-party developers.

The normal mode setting for devkits shows 4.5GB of memory is usable, and the large mode increases this to 5.25GB – but the extra RAM here is “only available for application development.”

Yeah. My brain hurts already, so for the full thing and how this compares to Xbox One and what it means for you – as a gamer – head on through the link for the full thing.

Both consoles are out sometime in November.

1. Stephany Nunneley

As Floof on the EG forums said: “All these numbers. I’m a gamer, not a scientist. Show me shit blowing up.”

(http://www.eurogamer.net/profiles/Floof/comments/1601343)

#1 1 year ago
  2. JavelinX

Enjoy your 4.5 XD

#2 1 year ago
  3. wamp

Well 500mb less than the X1 ;) guess it’s time for another fanboy wars weekend.

But yes.. that’s why many of us chose a console instead of a PC, because we want to get rid of all those technical nonsense. Show us games and amaze us with great new ideas and touching story lines.

Peace :) don’t hate each other <3

#3 1 year ago
  4. Joe Musashi

Shit just got real. Hoo boy..

JM

#4 1 year ago
  5. FuntimeBen

I have to agree, all of this is meaningless – ultimately who cares how much the XB1 or the PS4 have available in memory! We need these consoles to be released so we can ACTUALLY see how they play games, not so we can audit how much space the f-ing dashboard takes up.

I don’t want to know how the sausage is made! Just let me eat!

(Thank for the article tho! You guys rock!)

#5 1 year ago
  6. wildBoar

It’s extremely weird though. Both the X1 and PS4 have OS’s bigger than windows. As was stated in the article though, they’ve shrunk down the spec consumption of the OS before on PS3. Hopefully they’ll release a firmware patch somewhere down the line.

@3 you said it. With all that’s gone down of late fanboy arguments are stupider than ever though. Aside from Kinect they’re basically the exact same console with different exclusives.

#6 1 year ago
  7. JavelinX

@3 Pc costs a lot in the beginning but is more powerful, is optimized, and games cost less.
    No FBSD and full customization. X1 is a budget pc and that’s good.

PLUS yesterday PS4 was +2GB, today is -0.5GB with awful OS that will stress the CPU more than the X1 OS.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Hcw87

People don’t buy consoles because of their specs.

#8 1 year ago
  9. stretch215

Interesting…. Another reason I’m glad I pre ordered an xbox1. By the time sony catches up I’ll have a ps4 (hopefully).

#9 1 year ago
  10. JavelinX

@8 Actually a lot of people bought x360 because of specs.

#10 1 year ago
  11. FuntimeBen

@wildBoar Agreed about fanboyism – Most of us nerds will probably own both by the end of the console cycle! All I want is one of these things in my hands! I have a PS4 ordered and would have kept my XB1 order if I had the money, but honestly I only want to play BF4, so I could have gone either way! They both look like INCREDIBLE pieces of tech.

Specs aside, if the XB1 was $100 cheaper than the PS4, I would have gotten that one instead. :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

@8 The pre-orders are bought on specs and promises alone. Nothing more. People don’t buy consoles once launched based on their specs I’ll agree, but there is plenty of cock waving to be done till then.

#12 1 year ago
  13. JavelinX

@11 that fucking kinect!!

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

Agreed with the games sentiments. These OS better be slick as hell though – otherwise it’s hard to justify. Sony have been bitten by the memory thing before so are likely being conservative at this point.

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Well….

Sony had a good lead but seem to have spunked their load too early…

Even though MS is back tracking, it’s still getting all the headlines for positive changes and making the Xbone look more desirable. Even though I don’t like their policies, the Xbone is looking the more ‘next gen’ offering at the moment.

These guys even believe Sony have a deal with MS regarding the specs of the Xbone:

Complete troll site obviously, but I do find it strange PS4 games don’t seem to look as good as xbone games so far? Maybe MS are truely the puppet masters….

#15 1 year ago
  16. loci

Digital Foundry have a history of reporting falsities from “reliable sources”.
    Not saying this news isn’t true but I would wait for Sony’s response before crying.

#16 1 year ago
  17. monkeygourmet

It’s always selective though. If this would have been better news, Sony fans would have been shouting it from the rooftops..

#17 1 year ago
  18. loci

@17 and Xbots wouldn’t ?

#18 1 year ago
  19. dsr

I CALL BULLSHIT.

Right now. On this.
    Before the 8GB change, Sony were targeting 4GB of GDDR5 and then changed it to 8GB at the last moment.
    There is absolutely no way they would make an OS which would take 3.5GB from 4GB which were originally put in.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Francis O

OMG who freaking cares.

Its all about the games.

#20 1 year ago
  21. JavelinX

The Tide is turning guys, Notch has spoken. X1 is more easy to program.
    Just the beginning of a obvious spin. FBSD<Win

#21 1 year ago
  22. monkeygourmet

Of course they do, it’s just Sony fans have been swanning around a lot more at the moment, without fully realising that both machines are pretty much identical and have similar goals (Sony has slightly hidden their agenda though).

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

Because 8 GDDR 5 has been heralded as the second coming compared to Xbone. If it does in fact take a huge hit because of the OS, it might put things slightly more in perspective for Sony fans.

#23 1 year ago
  24. MCTJim

did everyone hear that noise? Someone just opened a can of worms…and to me personally, its rumor until its proven otherwise….games is all that really matter at the end of the day.

#24 1 year ago
  25. monkeygourmet

@dsr

But 4.5 is more than the 4 gb amount… These documents seem to take into account the change in memory size?

#25 1 year ago
  26. FuntimeBen

@19 Touche! Very Good Point!

PS- the tide is definitely turning Xbox One orders are through the roof! Microsoft said it and it is totally true on AMAZON! They are now #1, #3, #9, & #11 on amazon. Microsoft is totally dominating.

Oh wait. All this hyperbole is totally stupid! Give us games! GIVE US THE CONSOLES!

#26 1 year ago
  27. wildBoar

@MCTJim Yeah for a moment I was really pleasantly surprised at how maturely people were talking about this. It really made me dream of a promising future for VG247..

Oh well.

#27 1 year ago
  28. dsr

Devkits have more RAM than mass produced consoles.
    Killzone devs said PS4 had 4GB RAM and then they bumped it to 8GB which they weren’t expecting so they said they only used old specs on E3 Demo.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Cobra951

Good news, everyone. The games will use the memory available, and no more. You will never have to modify or upgrade your console during its entire lifetime. Bring on the games! Let the eggheads and the PC gamers worry about the tech stuff.

#29 1 year ago
  30. monkeygourmet

You can always start forum discussion topics to try and start less fanboy style stuff? I think entering into this article with good intentions is somewhat misguided.

The best you can hope for is: it’s unmourned until proven otherwise like MCTjim.

That isn’t really a discussion…

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

I’m not saying this is right, but statements like this:

Makes it sound like its talking about the newer announced 8gb specs…

#31 1 year ago
  32. Belmont

So, both consoles have the same amount of memory available to games.Both have dedicated the same amount to OS and its features and all the sharing,streaming and …

P.S :Where is Naughty Dog when you need them ? (Is that grammatically correct? )

#32 1 year ago
  33. loci

@22 “both machines are pretty much identical”

PS4 is still more powerful. But that aside, Sony fans were always going to buy PS4. The same would have been said for Xbots and Xbox one but for Kinect (and previous DRM policy).
    The compulsory Kinect and lack of trust is Microsoft’s biggest problem and why many Xbots are switching sides.

#33 1 year ago
  34. JavelinX

@Belmont One runs on Windows, one on Freebsd. One is perfect, one is basically the worst edition of unix. One is programmable by anyone, one not.

#34 1 year ago
  35. MCTJim

@30/31..ah no thanks….there is no “choke the crap out of” button for me to use here on site to moderate a forum topic like that LOL….I really wanna see what happens in here once certain people see this article.

#35 1 year ago
  36. FuntimeBen

@34 Once you say “Windows is perfect” you immediately paint yourself as someone who exaggerates WILDLY!

#36 1 year ago
  37. JavelinX

@36 Apple guy? too bad

#37 1 year ago
  38. MCTJim

@37 LOL I was thinking that or Linux guy..LOL ..but refrained from posting it

#38 1 year ago
  39. roadkill

Lol! I have 8 since more than 2 years ago! What a fucking joke! Hahaha!

#39 1 year ago
  40. Ireland Michael

Numbers are meaningless. Give me games I want to play, and you can have 8MBs for all I care.

#40 1 year ago
  41. monkeygourmet

Yeah! Losers! I have 16gb for my new rig! (Joke)

Ironically, I have just got Pikmin 3 which is probably one of the best games I’ve played in a longtime and it runs on a console that has 2gb of ram. Looks nicer than a lot of other games too…

#41 1 year ago
  42. monkeygourmet

Pikmin 3 says hello…

It’s truely outstanding, I think it’s easily worth the £149 you can get a Wii U for.

Then Wonderful 101 next few weeks with digital discount, win win.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Ireland Michael

@41 Good art design and gameplay wins out over hardware specs and post processing heavy visuals every single time.

@42 Still have to get my hands on a Wii U, unfortunately. Right now, Animal Crossing is the game taking up all my time. Hahaha.

#43 1 year ago
  44. monkeygourmet

Yep, it is a beautiful game and a window into your childhood. If like me, you played in the garden and ate roms alot when you were younger ;)

Edit! Roms = worms… Damn ipad… :D

#44 1 year ago
  45. DreadSabot

The reserve it supposed to allow them to expand the Os over time without effecting the rest of the system. 4.5 is plenty

#45 1 year ago
  46. Stewie_Griffin

There better be a bloody official statement from Sony. Getting excited for hogwash and and to find out its just wankers out for a tizzy.

#46 1 year ago
  47. loci

You do know GPU & CPU are what matters most for games yes?

#47 1 year ago
  48. MCTJim

#48 1 year ago
  49. DrDamn

WiiU uses 50% of its RAM for the OS too. As I mentioned above this better = slicker than a BP oil rig interface.

Whilst we are recommending WiiU titles here’s another, Lego City Undercover. It’s fantastic. The open world is so lovingly created and chocked full of stuff the main levels are entirely incidental to the experience.

#49 1 year ago
  50. tezzer1985

Reading these comments, and most of you sound lacking in gaming knowledge, and juvenile in your comments.

Both PS4 & X1 will have great games, that will be a improvement on this gen

#50 1 year ago
  51. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve expected something like this, all along… I reckon 5GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM could very well end up doing significantly more than a straight 4.5GB DDR5.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how those launch exclusives compare, now.

#51 1 year ago
  52. redwood

ram doesnt matter.. :) ps3 has around 512 mb of ram. And AFAIK it’s all the ram.. (os+graphics) and look at what the people made on it.

ram don’t matter .. games do.. show me the games sony!.

#52 1 year ago
  53. monkeygourmet

Here comes G1GA!!!!

Shits gonna get good!

Edit:

… Picture of Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy … Stimpy is smiling, and looking cute and in anticipation of what’s too come…

#53 1 year ago
  54. OlderGamer

Won’t mean shit, both systems will likely be so close that it won’t matter. Just another console gen where fanboys, backers and pundants all claim that they have the edge. In the end, in truth, all multi plat games will be too close to call(and we live in a multi plate universe) and both systems will have great 1st party games. Neither system will have dramaticly looking better games.

#54 1 year ago
  55. G1GAHURTZ

@53:

Please edit that URL, it’s messing up the page…

#55 1 year ago
  56. monkeygourmet

@OG

Have you got Pikmin 3 yet?!

#56 1 year ago
  57. OlderGamer

Nope, too tuff for me..true story. I would like to enjoy the game, looks neat, but in the end I know it would leave me frustrated. I will prolly rent it when it hits gamefly tho.

I think it hits stores here early aug. Edit, just looked it up out on Aug 14 here in the states.

#57 1 year ago
  58. monkeygourmet

Done

It’s fantastic, it’s not that frustrating, but yeah, def rent and give it a whirl! :)

#58 1 year ago
  59. Ireland Michael

@50 tezzer1985 wins the “VG247 Most Rational Comment of the Year” award.

#59 1 year ago
  60. G1GAHURTZ

@58:

Muchas gracias!

#60 1 year ago
  61. fearmonkey

@51 – and yet the GPU on the PS4 is still much better……I still don’t think MS’s way of doing ram is going to improve anything performance wise in real game performance over the PS4′s DDR5, but we shall see.

In a few years once games really start using both systems abilities, the PS4 will have games that smoke Xbones (graphically). The difference between the GPU in the systems is just too big to not be capitalized on, at least by first party. Multiplatform games will run better on PS4 too.

but hey, you will be able to scan yourself into a game and raise your hands and flail wildly, that’s very next gen isn’t it….

#61 1 year ago
  62. Lengendaryboss

Gonna go GIF crazy here and jump out.

Not leaving Ninty out :) http://25.media.tumblr.com/abc9a6dacb25152233e16e0f560ba277/tumblr_mocqwbBCTU1rt4n6go2_500.gif

GIF madness ;)

#62 1 year ago
  63. fearmonkey

@62 love those lol…

#63 1 year ago
  64. monkeygourmet

#64 1 year ago
  65. Fethennour

1) That’s a rumour, nothing more.
    2) Like some of you guys said : who gives a sh*t ? When I play, I just enjoy the game, I’m not thinking of that kind of stuff. Nobody does, by the way. Who cares ?

#65 1 year ago
  66. Ireland Michael

@61 In a few years the hardware will be so basic in comparison to what is available affordably on the PC market that it will be implement irrelevant anyway. Multiplatform games will be designed with the capabilities of the less powerful hardware in mind anyway, with only the exclusives really shining through.

Like @65 said, who gives a shit? Just enjoy the games.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Riseer

I just don’t see 3.5gigs being used for the OS.That is still too much even for all the features Sony is using.Ps3 had a huge OS footprint,in 2010 it went from 96mb to 50mb.One thing we need to understand is the Os isn’t finalize yet.

#67 1 year ago
  68. Kreion

I don’t know where you’re pulling your argument from, but the PS4 is not THAT much more powerful that the X1. It is more powerful, but the PS3 was also more powerful than the 360. There’s little to no graphical difference between the two there, even for exclusives on the ps3 compared to Xbox exclusives.

The difference between the two is just not going to be large enough even when the systems are fully understood and exploitable by the developers, they’re just not that different. The GPU and ram usage it not ‘much’ better, it’s just somewhat better.

So please stop claiming there will be a massive difference -.- Chances are there will be minimal difference, plus you also have to factor in that companies that develop for both systems aren’t likely to spend a long time trying to make use of the extra power on one system. These are not PC’s and it’s not worth doing that for such a slight difference.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Moonwalker1982

Basically the same as X1, or am I wrong?

I wouldn’t say all that stuff too early. Digital Foundry has seen Knack, Drive Club, Thief and Killzone on PS4 at E3 and it was ‘shocking’ how all games were having a lot of problems with the framerate. Even Knack wasn’t even to maintain a 30fps, and had graphical errors too. KZ wasn’t able to stay 30fps and went into the 20′s actually. DriveClub was especially bad. Forza and Killer Instinct on X1 however….they said was constantly 60fps.

In other words….lets just wait and see how things turn out. :)

#69 1 year ago
  70. Riseer

Well the Ps4 is still more powerful,you can over look the fact it has 33% more shading power.Or the fact it uses GDDR5,while the Xbone has to deal with Esram,it’s more or less like the WiiU in the respect they had to bolt on fast ram to help deal with the low bandwidth of DDR3 .This is a rumor,we don’t know if it will use 3.5gigs for the OS,kinda like how they said the performance on Esram is 88% more bandwidth.That isn’t confirm ether as of yet,gotta wait till Sep when NDA are gone.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Erthazus

LoL. Next Generation of fad.

I have 16 Gb Of ram already. in two years I will have 32.

#71 1 year ago
  72. Kreion

You raise a good point. I can understand the X1 having a large OS footprint (because of all the tabs and such you can run simultaneously) but since the PS4 doesn’t do that you’d think it wouldn’t need as much? As you say, we still don’t really know the full details yet, but it’s an interesting point to consider :)

#72 1 year ago
  73. Riseer

I hate sounding like a fanboy but i just feel Eurogamer wanted to toss some bad press Sony’s way.Hey if this happens to be true more power to EG,but they posted a report of Esram being improved.Which we still don’t know,all i know is if 3.5gigs is used i will lol so hard @ Sony.PS, i am a Playstation gamer.

#73 1 year ago
  74. zoopdeloop

@69 you wanna sound subjective,but don’t secretly start the parade yet. ;)

#74 1 year ago
  75. Irani

Sony You are Loser

#75 1 year ago
  76. lookingglass

This is just more of a testament to how similar these systems will be. The XBO is a more custom architecture so it’s performance, while lower by the numbers than the PS4, is harder to predict reliably.

At this point I just want to get these consoles hooked up and play some games!

#76 1 year ago
  77. Riseer

Well we don’t know if this is true yet.MS wants a thick OS so 3 gigs seems to be a fix.Sony on the other hand really didn’t seem keen on having a huge OS.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Riseer

Also not sure why everyone thinks MS has a advantage over Sony in the API department.Both systems will use great Api’s,it will come down to the developers to exploit the hardware.Which in Sony’s case has more powerful hardware overall.DDR3 isn’t good ram for graphics,which is which Esram is used to help out.It’s still not as good as GDDR5,also it could be a issue later on when 32mb looks small.

#78 1 year ago
  79. monkeygourmet

Okay, here’s a fanboy stylee:

Forza : 1080p 60fps

Titanfall : 1080p 60fps

Battlefield 4: 1080p 60fps

Come on Sony… With all TEH power why u no do 1080p 60fps on most of your games?!

Devils Avocado

Mmmm… Avocado…

#79 1 year ago
  80. xxJPRACERxx

@71 Wow man, you have 2 GB of ram in your system… You’re so good! (btw, Gb = gigaBITS!) And even if we’re talking of 16 GB, how many games do you have that use it all?…. Oh, that’s right! 0!
    ————————————————————————–

Also about the X1. Do we know about all the custom chips it got yet? We already know that it got a dedicated sound chip that can do a lot of processing and free the CPU. That’s a big plus, audio processing depending on complexity can consume a lot of CPU resources. Do we know about other chips?

#80 1 year ago
  81. OrbitMonkey

What with this & the power of the cloud, the xbox will surely have the best brown textures!

#81 1 year ago
  82. lexph3re

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y97u-U0nvJM Relax Brahs….

#82 1 year ago
  83. Lengendaryboss

A little fuel on the fire:

#83 1 year ago
  84. machy

waoooooooooooaW! finally xbots got a chance to speak up since FEB … still 5.5GB GDDR >>>>>>> 5 GB DDR3 fact
    #DealWithIt

#84 1 year ago
  85. fearmonkey

@66 – Preaching to the choir here, I love PC, its what I game mostly on. I tend to want the most powerful console though, and the PS4 and Xbone will keep up graphically with the PC for awhile simply because games will be ported to the PC alot of the time

@68 – Lets see…. 50% shader better shader performance and 33% faster GPU over the gimped 7790 that the Xbone has. the difference between a mid level $150.00 GPU and a $300.00 GPU. Don’t take my word for it, go read anandtech and extremetech.

The comparison in regards to the PS3 and 360 is apples and oranges. PS3 had 256mb of available memory at one time, 360 had unified 512mb, textures therefore looked better on 360. The GPU on the 360 was actually more advanced than the RSX on the PS3, what made the PS3 supposedly faster was its cell processor which was very complex and took a long time to figure out. The Xbone and the PS4 have the same CPU essentially, though it might be clocked differently on the PS4, it might be faster. The Xbone has 1.6GHZ and the PS4 has up to 2.4GHZ in different articles, but are most likely the same or close to it. The PS4 though blows away the GPU on the XBone. So the differences will be noticeable without all that specialization the PS3 required. I wont stop claiming there is a massive difference, there is, sorry that hurts but its true (I am an Xbox fan so it sucks a bit)

@61 – I am not too worried about games having issues as a sign of problems with the design. Halo before it launched on the system was written up as having alot of bugs and performance issues at the time, and look how that turned out. Remember, the Xbone and the PS4 are essentially the same design except for ram differences and the GPU, in which the PS4 is faster.

@80 -”The only things the PS4 will be better at is anti-aliasing, filtering and maybe better shaders but not by much. Maybe higher resolution too. But the differences will be minimal between the two.”

Your right about it being better at anti-aliasing and filtering, but shader performance is 50 percent better on the PS4 GPU, and a overall 33% GPU performance difference. Thats a pretty large jump, as I mentioned before, its like going from a $150.00 gaming card to a $300.00 gaming card.

#85 1 year ago
  86. Hcw87

None of it matters until we see PS4 games looking better than Xbone games. Still yet to see that. Numbers don’t mean shit until you can actually see a difference.

And like it’s been posted allready, most Xbone games have been running at 60fps, while none of PS4′s games have as far as i know.

#86 1 year ago
  87. tmac2011

im a ps fan you mad i dont want to get spied on by a camera 24/7 , xbox one “the goverment is watching you”

#87 1 year ago
  88. Hcw87

lol

You using windows? Got a webcam also perhaps?
    Facebook?
    Google?

Ok then.

#88 1 year ago
  89. Biscuitpants

@83 hurrdurr universal gaymer hurrrdurr

#89 1 year ago
  90. Lengendaryboss

Buy yourself a sense of humor and stop trolling me.

#90 1 year ago
  91. Biscuitpants

implying tumblr is funny

#91 1 year ago
  92. Lengendaryboss

???

#92 1 year ago
  93. Kreion

Mmm you’ve posted a lot of stats, but 50% increase really means nothing at the end of the day. I mean if you want to look at the PC market for comparison then most of the time you can’t tell much difference between a game running on high and very high. Only the most graphically demanding games really stand out, and these systems already won’t be able to run things like Metro:Last Light on their highest settings. I will concede that the PS4 seems to have the advantage on paper, but I also know that I won’t be able to tell the difference on the screen so it’s a non-issue xD

I would also point out that in software MS is always going to have the advantage. Sony is a hardware company first and foremost, whereas Microsoft is a Software company which has been building for x86 systems for a looooong time. So I wouldn’t exactly push them to one side just yet :p until these systems are released I don’t trust any bench-marking done by either side.

#93 1 year ago
  94. sg1974

Now hang on a cotton-picking moment. Hasn’t an army of XBots spent the last six weeks insisting that RAM doesn’t matter?

Of course, that’s when they thought they get much less than the competition. Now it looks like that’s going to change, suddenly RAM is all that matters….

#94 1 year ago
  95. MCTJim

@94 to fanboys, specs is all that matters..to the real gamers..game are what counts.

#95 1 year ago
  96. sg1974

You do realise that every video game developer develops their product on PC? Even Sony ones! – and I think they know how to use them and have got the hang of it by now, don’t you?

But if you are just talking about OS, fair enough. Oh, on an entirely unrelated point, did you ever use Vista?

#96 1 year ago
  97. FatalTee

Vista was fine, for everyone with up-to-specs pc. It was way better than XP. It just draw a line in a sand. In 2006, the line was 2002. So… that happened.

Vista took something like 500-600MB of RAM (mostly prefetch, preload of programmes).
    7 took between 400 and 1GB (mostly prefetch)
    8 takes me around 1,4 GB (mostly prefetch and some background apps).
    8 with music player, outlook, 8 chrome tabs, kindle, some torrent, few Words, Steam, weather metro app, task manager and probably something else now takes 2,1GB
    And…that is without graphics memory, or my soundcard RAM (64MB, but yeah, it is there)

So…
    Bloated PC OS console warriors would say?

#97 1 year ago
  98. jron310

Speaking as a gamer in general, this is still great news. The fact that PS3 already looks great, but PS4 is like a mid to high PC emphasizing on graphics more than ever, I’m excited. I can expect it to be better than my current PC but around the same price.

#98 1 year ago
  99. Major Mayhem 70

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!
    no seriously, let the games begin… I just wanna play

#99 1 year ago
  100. rg2j

@65 My thoughts exactly.

#100 1 year ago
  101. fengato

Disappointing if true. I’ve preordered both systems for their exclusives, though was hoping for a clear leader for 3rd party titles this time around. It’s a pain in the ass having to chose which console performs best for every multiplat release.

Come on Sony – minimise the ram hogging fluff (social media, game sharing/recording etc), and give us a game-centric machine with legs for the future.

#101 1 year ago
  102. xxJPRACERxx

@94 There’s a difference between arguing between if GDDR5 is really much better than DDR3 + ESRAM and talking about amount of RAM.

More RAM will always be better than less. Types of memory… sometime theory and practice don’t agree with each other.

#102 1 year ago
  103. dsr

Everyone already forgot this?
    And how does Witness is using “only” 5GB then? His words, not mine.

#103 1 year ago
  104. Christopher Jack

This is a pretty significant drop compared to the earlier reports of 7GB for games.

#104 1 year ago
  105. DrDamn

There were no reports. Just assumptions.

#105 1 year ago
  106. Digital Bamboo

All I know is, after tapping into the “flexible memory” PS4 has over 10X the RAM of PS3. Not that it matters a great deal, but it does give developers more tools, so to speak. What they’ll build with them is the truly interesting part.

#106 1 year ago
  107. CPC_RedDawn

WTF!?? Whats with microsoft and NOW Sony lieing to us about how much memory these systems have. “We have 8GB unified GDDR5 memory” crowd cheers…. “oh no sorry we are going to use over 3GB for the OS… Sorry… but you can call for this extra gig if you like…”

FUCK YOU!! The days when people say that PC’s have a power hungry OS in Windows are gone… I use W7 ULTIMATE X64 and have 16GB DDR3 2133MHz memory (8-9-9-27-2T). I have tweaked Windows and on boot up with all the programs I need a start up it uses about 8% memory!!! Heck wifh media player open, 20 tabs in chrome and compiling a 700MB .rar file at the same time it never uses more than 20%. Crysis 3 maxed on uses 25% and around 2.2GB of VRAM with 8xAA enabled.

I really do want a PS4 for the exclusives but its getting harder as the truth slowly comes out. Why not have a seperate chunk of cheaper memory for the OS and free up ALL of that 8GB for the CPU and GPU tasks. Seriously getting tired of all the marketing hype bullshit they are throwing at us now.

#107 1 year ago
  108. Moonwalker1982

Oh wait i read it wrong. 4.5GB? Correct me if i’m wrong but isnt that 5GB on X1?

#108 1 year ago
  109. Mike W

I believe you’re correct. I read on kotaku that the XBO will be using 5GB, but it was never confirmed by the Microsoft. It seems Sony will be going down the same path. But I wonder why so much ram is being used towards the OS? For MS it makes perfect sense.

But I’m not quite sure why Sony is doing it. EG just updated their article saying another source informed that Sony will be using 5gb. I wish they spill the beans on who this annoymous source is.

#109 1 year ago
  110. Christopher Jack

Either way I don’t see why people are so up in arms. Except of course the Sony fans who bragged about the earlier 7GB allowance or an Xbox fan who’s now bragging about having more. I don’t see people screaming when they buy RAM for a Windows PC & it’s not all dedicated to gaming. Although I do dislike how when I buy a HDD I don’t have full access to the amount displayed on the box.

#110 1 year ago
  111. Mike W

I agree with you 10,000%. This just antoher case of gamers showing how stupid they can really be.

#111 1 year ago
  112. G1GAHURTZ

Lovely. So now we’ve gone from 8GB, to 7GB, to a maximum 5.5GB, to a maximum 5GB…

I wonder what’s next.

#112 1 year ago
  113. Tech-N9ne

5.5, 5, or 4.5GB, I don’t care I still expect really great games, that’s what matters. Uncharted 3, Halo 4 used 512MB of slower RAM and these games looked amazing.

But, I find it strange that lots of sites has been reporting this 7GB for games and 1GB for OS on the PS4 for literally MONTHS, and using it as an advantage comparison against the XB1, and no one, not Sony nor any developer corrected this assumption, this was obviously a PR stunt. Makes me wonder what else.

#113 1 year ago
  114. Digital Bamboo

@108 4.5GB “baseline” + mayhaps “an additional gigabyte of “flexible memory” = 4.5~5.5GB

#114 1 year ago
  115. Lengendaryboss

“UPDATE: A new source familiar with the matter has provided additional information to Digital Foundry that confirms only 4.5GB of the PS4′s 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, while also clarifying how the PS4′s “flexible memory” works in practice.”

“In real terms, an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB mentioned in the SDK. Flexible memory consists of physical and virtual spaces, and the latter introduces paging issues which impact performance. In our original story we combined them together.”

“For practical game applications, the correct figures for this story, as we understand it now, are a guaranteed 4.5GB for development and a further 512MB from the flexible pool. We have updated the headline accordingly.”

“PlayStation 4 gives up to 5GB of RAM to game developers”
    “UPDATE: New source confirms 4.5GB guaranteed, 512MB of “flexible memory”.

Debate Away….

#115 1 year ago
  116. DrDamn

Who’s we? The reality has remained constant. The perception/rumours/speculation has been the one changing. When were we ever realistically at 8GB?

#116 1 year ago
  117. loci

Lengendaryboss has been excitedly jerking off constantly since this news broke.
    Hand like a claw now ~_~
    PS4 hardware is still vastly superior, Cheaper, more exclusives and comes without an advertisement targeting system (kinect).

Nobody from the Sony camp is going to switch sides because of the RAM issue and nobody who left the Microsoft camp will go back.

Keep jerking off tho, you deserve a bit of joy after all the shit Microsoft have done to you :)

#117 1 year ago
  118. zoopdeloop

a source…another source,a trusty source and no one is telling who is the source.They’re just rumors and while we’re at it EG has been spreading false rumors along with their “sources” a lot lately

#118 1 year ago
  119. Lengendaryboss

@Loci

Both similar take your pick. ;)

As for the rest of your comment i couldn’t give a flying fuck what that mind of yours thinks.

#119 1 year ago
  120. G1GAHURTZ

@116:

It’s the rumour spreaders I’m talking about.

The types who started out saying that 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM could make the PS4 better than a high end PC, and are now claiming that they don’t care, because ‘it’s all about the games’.

What a climb down…

Suddenly the reason for the huge difference between PC and PS4 Unreal Engine tech demos becomes obvious when you realise that it could only use 4.5GB of RAM.

#120 1 year ago
  121. DrDamn

Says the man spreading/starting a rumour. Wasn’t the Unreal tech demo shown at the PS4 reveal when it wasn’t know by devs that the machine had more memory?

#121 1 year ago
  122. G1GAHURTZ

^ Was it?

What’s the proof of that? I’m pretty sure that they announced 8GB at the reveal…

Plus, UE is scalable, so I doubt that it would take very long to up how much RAM it used for the demo.

#122 1 year ago
  123. G1GAHURTZ

Actually, the UE4 tech demo was shown at GDC in March, and the PS4 unveiling was in February, so lack of knowledge of RAM can’t be used as an excuse.

“Feature wise most everything is the same, AA resolution, meshes, textures (PS4 has tons of memory), DOF (I assure you both use the same Bokeh DOF, not sure why that one shot has different focal range), motion blur.”

#123 1 year ago
  124. Mike W

Guys come on, your really making a big deal out of nothing.

#124 1 year ago
  125. lexph3re

Wonder when people will do the simple math of (1024 * .33 * 4.5)+ 4068 that’s the comparison of gddr5 to ddr3.

In the end though its all about how developers will use it. They can either shortcut it or actually put some effort in to really utilize it.

Looking forward to next gen and the competition it brings whhoooooo

#125 1 year ago
  126. DrDamn

Memory was announced late Feb and March isn’t long enough to get updated kit/dev environment. Unreal tech demo was shown at the reveal too (the GDC one was just extended). Beside which haven’t you just answered your own question there? Ram wasn’t an issue and that’s a quote from Epic.

#126 1 year ago
  127. loci

@120 That is still the case. The memory speed and bandwidth is more important, not the amount.

#127 1 year ago
  128. G1GAHURTZ

That’s simply not true.

First of all, from the 20th Feb to the 25th March is over a month.

Secondly UE4 is not a bespoke, platform specific game. It’s an incredibly scalable multi-platform engine that is designed to run on just about every format imaginable, so as I said before, getting the demo accessing more memory shouldn’t be a problem.

Also, whether the demo was shown at the reveal or not is irrelevant. Comparing the GDC one with the PC version shows a clear difference between the two, and I seriously doubt that Epic would show off their engine running on an old hardware configuration over a month after it was announced that it could use more memory.

Don’t forget that the original demo ran on a PC with 16GB of RAM, and the PS4 is essentially just a PC, as well.

No. You said that Epic had no idea about the 8GB of RAM, and that quote doesn’t answer that question by any means…

#128 1 year ago
  129. Stephany Nunneley

Sony has commented on the matter – updating the post now.

#129 1 year ago
  130. DrDamn

Yes it does. He states the same textures etc are used because the PS4 has so much memory. Besides which the DF article takes about particles and lighting being the differentiators. Those are limited more by CPU than memory.

My point about memory knowledge was that for the reveal in Feb they wouldn’t have known.

Your core point that memory was the cause of the difference is clearly crap because Epic stated it had plenty, and when they made that comment they would have been well aware of how much was available.

#130 1 year ago
  131. G1GAHURTZ

Am I missing something here??

You said that before a specific date (PS4 reveal), Epic had no knowledge of the PS4 using 8GB (4.5GB) of RAM, rather than the previously unconfirmed 4GB between game and OS.

You said: “Wasn’t the Unreal tech demo shown at the PS4 reveal when it wasn’t know by devs that the machine had more memory?

I asked for proof of this claim.

He states the same textures etc are used because the PS4 has so much memory.” is not proof. In fact it’s not even close to being anything to do with the question.

Yep. 4.5GB of DDR5 is plenty compared to 512k. And I never said that RAM was the one and only cause, so don’t try and twist my words.

…and when they made that comment they would have been well aware of how much was available.

Exactly. So tell me, is 4.5GB less than 8GB? Yes or no? Because I’m pretty sure that it is.

The PS4 tech demo simply didn’t strike me as looking like it was running on a system using all the ‘super’ RAM that it was supposed to have.

It looked (and still looks) ordinary, and paled in comparison to other next gen stuff we’ve seen.

So when I hear that it wasn’t 8, or even 7GB of RAM, but rather, a much more ordinary (by PC standards) 4.5, the ordinary look and feel suddenly makes a lot more sense.

That was my point.

Absolutely nothing to do with RAM being the one and only defining factor between PC and PS4.

#131 1 year ago
  132. loci

You can’t move 8GB of data each frame with 176GB/s unless the game was 22FPS.

Xbox One | 8GB DDR3 at 68GB/s (5GB available to devs)

At 60fps the maximum memory available per frame is 1.133GB
    At 30fps the maximum memory available per frame is 2.266GB

PS4 | 8GB GDDR5 at 176GB/s (5.5GB available to devs) 512mb of that swap space, paged to the HDD.

At 60fps the maximum memory available per frame is 2.933GB
    At 30fps the maximum memory available per frame is 5.866GB

#132 1 year ago
  133. Mike W

So basically everything Rich said is bullshit according to Sony’s statement?

#133 1 year ago
  134. Sini

fucking retards the lot of you. there isn’t a game on pc that would run at 1080p with ultra textures mods that would require more than 3GB of RAM. It is a guarantee ps4 won’t be limited by RAM in its lifecycle.

#134 1 year ago
  135. redwood

and here I was hoping that this year we will see alot of new IPs.. but all we are getting is

a) xbox has cloud features
    b) ps4 has issues
    c) titanfall is awesome!
    d) sequeeeels

what a disappointment these consoles are becoming. Hopefully when naughty dog, santa monica, and bungie jump in with their titles the overall landscape will change for the better (bungie for one have really impressed me).. untill than keep up the overly intelligent discussions about how much ram the Unreal engine needs to make quality games, because one look at uncharted 3 tells you that the ram really does not matter if you know how to do things properly.

#135 1 year ago
  136. _LarZen_

The Last of Us had 512mb RAM to disposal. The PS4 have 5500mb RAM to disposal.

I think we are going to be alright…inn fact I think we are going to be more then alright.

#136 1 year ago
  137. fihar

Now I know what Shakespeare was on to when he wrote Much Ado About Nothing

#137 1 year ago
  138. SlayerGT

@136 +1

#138 1 year ago
  139. God

“RAM…………Memory……………Sony vs Microsoft……….blah blah blah……”

SHOW ME THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#139 1 year ago
  140. NightCrawler1970

Maybe both consoles comes with Readyboost, and added another 32GB of ram

#140 1 year ago
  141. redwood

@139.. oh well now even God is angry about the news.

#141 1 year ago
  142. DrDamn

@G1GA
    Here are your words, no need to twist them. What exactly did you mean?

“Suddenly the reason for the huge difference between PC and PS4 Unreal Engine tech demos becomes obvious when you realise that it could only use 4.5GB of RAM”

The DF article makes not comment on lack of RAM accounting for the difference and Epic themselves say there was plenty. So I think I’ll take their word for it over wild speculation from you.

Here is one of many links about devs not knowing the PS4 had 8GB of RAM prior to the Feb reveal.

#142 1 year ago
  143. G1GAHURTZ

^ I already explained exactly what I meant in #131.

DF had no idea about “lack of RAM” until now, so how could they comment on it?

And even if Epic didn’t know, which that link certainly doesn’t prove, it’s beside the point, as we’ve already established that the GDC demo was over a month after the info was known.

Epic knew about the RAM before the GDC trailer that they clearly stated was running on PS4, and there’s absolutely no disputing that, no matter how hard you try.

#143 1 year ago
  144. sebastien rivas

5.5 gigs of ram for gaming is fair and up to more than fair.
    1) games do not use that much ram unless poorly written for PC and suffer of memory leak.
    2) More Ram does not mean better looking games at all. It simply helps for quick load in/out data transfert but then and again too much assets (data) loaded on memory and it does not mean your GC will be able to handle it all without hicups!
    Therefore 5.5 is more than fair

As for many. It has been stated over and over that Xbox1 and PS4 will come very close to each other in terms of performance. So close that it should not make difference for most games.
    Although I still prefer PS4 for their GDDR5 but we start talking more about rethoric than actual massive discrepency for xbox1.

Lastly, I cannot go with box1 because I still do not know what happened to NSA Prism, is Microsoft still working with gov. to use NSA Prism?
    If this is the deal then I cannot accept having a virtual official in my house. It is too much discomfort knowing that an official “is/may be” looking at everything I play, watch, and listen.

Let me know :)

Seb

#144 1 year ago
  145. DrDamn

@G1GA
    DF were comparing to a PC with a GTX 680 card in it. A card which comes with 2 or 3 GB of RAM.

#145 1 year ago
  146. nollie4545

My 680 has 4GB of VRAM actually.

Anyway, currently no PC title requires more than about 3GB of VRAM unless it is run at extreme resolutions, far in excess of what a typical gaming rig can pull anyway unless equipped with monster GPUs usually in a trio.

There is no need to be hung up about the amount of RAM in either console, at the end of the day the frame rate you get and the amount of quality preset in the graphics will be entirely down to how well then can get games to run on the GPU and CPU, not how potent the actual hardware is.

Personally I think any PC gamer out there should have 8GB of RAM as an absolute minimum, probably 16GB is the optimum.

#146 1 year ago
  147. G1GAHURTZ

@145:

Yeah, the RAM on the card, and the other 16GB on the motherboard.

#147 1 year ago
  148. xxJPRACERxx

Yes, there’s so many 64-bit games currently on PC…

#148 1 year ago
  149. Dragon246

“Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”

“It’s absolutely false,” he said in response to the rumors. “Absolutely ridiculous.”

Provinciano went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.

Meanwhile, over on NeoGAF, known insider Thuway hinted PlayStation 4 will reserve six gigabytes of RAM for games and two for the operating system (Update within update: “There are games in development that are using 6 GB of RAM.”) BruceLeeRoy, another known insider, and forum admin Kagari corroborated Thuway’s report.

Obviously, nothing’s confirmed until Sony says something themselves. But considering they didn’t confirm numbers to Digital Foundry, I wouldn’t expect that at this point.”

Brian Provinciano speaks up.

Second time DF is (probably) wrong about PS4 (they were wrong about PS4 8GB RAM earlier too). Looks like Sony repaired their “leaky” ship before PS4 :D

So many sources.

Meanwhile, hilarious headlines continue and “editorial takes” are included too-
    LOL

#149 1 year ago
  150. DrDamn

Thuway was banned from GAF post E3 for stuff which never came to pass.

@G1GA
    Let’s just drop this one. Agree to disagree.

#150 1 year ago
  151. Dragon246

@150,
    Yeah, sooooo many sources.
    Next-gen fever in full force!
    We will probably know the truth (whatever that is) around console launch anyway.

#151 1 year ago
  152. G1GAHURTZ

@150:

Yes, sir!

#152 1 year ago
  153. Kreion

True, but PC’s generally need to do more in terms of multitasking. I mean I generally play games whilst doing a few other things, because you just can, so there more RAM is preferable. Plus a PC may need a lot of RAM if you’re going to be doing video editing or 3D work on it, since that eats up a lot of it.

In terms of these consoles I see the RAM being more useful to the X1 than the PS4, since that OS is designed around doing multiple things at once. Although we don’t know the full details of the PS4 OS yet so who knows what that’ll be doing in the background. In terms of graphics they’ll both be bottleneck by the APU I expect but most systems end up that way.

#153 1 year ago
  154. Erthazus

My PC uses right now 2882 MB Of ram and i’m doing right now more then 4 PS4′s will ever do.

Other 13 GB Of ram are for games.

#154 1 year ago
  155. Lengendaryboss

#155 1 year ago
  156. wildBoar

8-5.5 = 2…. .5 Hmmmmmmm, so the O.S uses 2.5 GBs..
    Be still my heart.

#156 1 year ago
  157. sg1974

Funny how all the XBots who were throwing hissy fits about people taking unsubstantiated XBOne rumours as fact then decided that this poorly-substantiated rumour was an uncontestable fact that must be accepted. Bless.

The PS4 still beats the Bone on most tech metrics. Who fucking cares. Let’s wait for the games.

#157 1 year ago
  158. Lengendaryboss

Ok… awkward….

#158 1 year ago
  159. Biscuitpants

@155 le epic funny le memes le bro fucking mememan yesah

#159 1 year ago
  160. Ireland Michael

This is still going?

#160 1 year ago
  161. Keivz

No, the OS uses 3 GB of RAM. The remaining 5 GB of RAM is available for games, 512 MB of which is ‘flexible’ and controlled by (but not used by) the OS. An additional 512 MB available for use is paged memory (not RAM) supposedly on the HDD (akin to the Windows swap file). So 5.5 GB of memory for games (5 GB of RAM + 0.5 GB of HDD space)…

According to DF anyway. Could very well be false, as other posts have pointed out.

#161 1 year ago
  162. n325

That DF author has always downplayed Sony. By the way, have any of you guys noticed this? Brian Provinciano has already talked about this infamous article and he downplays the whole article on his Twitter by saying it’s totally ridiculous and a lie (link to the editorial): http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

Oh and there’s another programmer from Naughty Dog that says in his Twitter this: https://twitter.com/cowbs/statuses/360862536121335808
    Looks like DF has once again fooled everyone with their ‘sources’.

#162 1 year ago
  163. machy

i feel sorry for DF they are loosing it .. and all this RAM thing isn’t written on stone by the end of the day this kinda of worry isnt for customers the dev’s are the once should be worrying not us

#163 1 year ago