Xbox One may have “a 2-3x unit advantage” at launch over PS4 – analyst

Tuesday, 23rd July 2013 16:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Robert W. Baird and company analyst Colin Sebastian has stated in his latest investor’s note that Xbox One seems to be riding the momentum train at retail.

Along with topics covering upcoming financial releases such as EA, Take-Two and Activision, Sebastian noted that gutting the DRM policy on the new Microsoft console has done wonders for the upcoming system.

“Despite losing the headline battle at E3, Microsoft’s Xbox One appears to be regaining some momentum, in part due to the used and online policy tweaks,” he wrote. “Importantly, our supply chain checks suggest Microsoft may have the benefit of a 2-3x unit advantage at launch compared to Sony’s PS4.”

The analyst expects both PS4 and Xbox One to have launch shortages and he also noted that Microsoft is “working with channel partners to lessen the gap,” between the consoles’ pricing – there’s a $100 difference between it and PS4.

Sebastian also said he felt Wii U needed a price cut in order to be competitive and “the fate of the platform” rests on Nintendo’s holiday software lineup.

1. machy

it’s 100$ not 50$
    that being said I finding hard to get around 20milion or more units ready at launch ..meen for ms

#1 1 year ago
  2. machy

even* for ms

#2 1 year ago
  3. Mike W

Wait a tick? The XBO is $450?!!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Viremi

I know you merely bring us the facts.. but this whole XBOX thing is ridiculous from analysts. Many people in my gaming community do not want. I am really wondering who these analysts are talking to and how many EBAYers are buying just to quickly resell the launch editions?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Cobra951

@3: Yes, what’s up with this “$50 difference”? Anyone care to elaborate?

#5 1 year ago
  6. redwood

his ass must hurt really bad right now.. I mean it takes a lot to pull something like that out of it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. machy

let’s say that there’s 10M units from Sony according to this analysis MS will ship around 20m-30m which is very hard to believe … if some how a problem come up with the model it would be game over

#7 1 year ago
  8. _LarZen_

@1 Here in Norway the difference is 50$ not 100$. Have no idea how it’s priced in other countries tho….

#8 1 year ago
  9. JewyMcJew

This projection flies against every other estimate released. Rumors of yield problems for MS’s massive SoC seem to have been unfounded.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

Price depends on the retailer. The suggested retail price is a $100 difference. However, some retailers have it at a $50 difference, and some 80 pound difference. I’ve changed the price in the post to reflect MRSP.

#10 1 year ago
  11. machy

@above forget about the price, the thing I can’t get my head around it is the 2-3 shipment units … in simple words “BS”

#11 1 year ago
  12. MCTJim

Here come the ebay trolls :P

#12 1 year ago
  13. Irani

Now Sony is Burning HaHa… :) Shame To Sony , Long Live Microsoft

#13 1 year ago
  14. lookingglass

You call BS on the 2-3x unit advantage, but not even developers knew about the memory bump to 8GB until the Sony announcement earlier this year. XBO was set in stone far longer and rumors of chip production has been popping up for almost 2 years now.

People may have to settle if they want to hop on the next gen train soon, or they might simply see XBOs all over the place and no PS4s. Boxes on shelves is the best holiday advertising to your average consumer.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

Huh lots of “positive” MS/Xbox news and the Sony fanboys are nowhere to be seen although the Xbox/MS fanboys are out in full force because of this.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

So … Higher preorder units for PS4 at the major US retailer. Amazon sold out of both and PS4 has sold more (US and UK) and rumours of yield problems for X1 chips = a 2-3x advantage for X1? He must have some interesting info…

#16 1 year ago
  17. NiceFellow

Seems odd to have a figure so out of line with most other estimates – and indeed a quick search of Amazon.com shows (amazingly really) that in total for 2013 PS4 has sold more than XBone for pre-orders.

I am expecting XBone to recover ground in US now, but there seems no heavy evidence it’s seeing that kind of ratio yet : and there for sure is no way that is the ratio globally unless he’s got his labels mixed up.

#17 1 year ago
  18. MCTJim

@15 they are here, but they cant really post anything other than I call BS in every thread.

I find the influx of positive news refreshing.

But I do think there is going to be massive shortages and you wont be able to get either system if you didn’t pre-order..well you might either by luck or paying through ones nose on Ebay.

#18 1 year ago
  19. MCTJim

@17 care to share that link please?

edit: ah..thinks I found it..thanks anyways :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

Best sellers on Amazon.com for 2013

#20 1 year ago
  21. redwood

@15 cause if history has told us anything, it’s that you just can’t fight zombies… you just can’t, they eventually win everytime :D .

#21 1 year ago
  22. DrDamn

And Amazon.co.uk is a lot worse when you consider the UK is currently very much 360 territory.

Based on the GameStop info MS may be drip feeding units in to maintain hype. There could be other reasons for the GameStop thing though. Remember they stopped taking preorders just before the DRM changes and then started again after?

#22 1 year ago
  23. MCTJim

@17 thanks bud :D

Considering everything with these new consoles..they are both going to do well for the most part.

#23 1 year ago
  24. G1GAHURTZ

Not sure if it’s actually more ‘positive’ news, rather than a case of Steph simply not turning every ‘story’ into flame bait like others choose to.

#24 1 year ago
  25. mistermogul

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out but for me (as an original XB and 360 owner) I’m in Sony’s camp now.

The simple principle that MS tried to shaft me up the ass is enough for me to say goodbye!

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

I think its important both do well and push each other to improve. Its good for everyone long term.

#26 1 year ago
  27. TF_PtMaster

People forget X One is launching only in 20 countries. PS4 is launching worldwide. I don’t know how this so called analysts came along with this kinda of numbers.

Unless Sony intend to send 1.000 units per country.

#27 1 year ago
  28. MCTJim

@27 all the more to make the eBay trolls happy. Shortages are going to be a huge issue this Holiday season.

#28 1 year ago
  29. deathm00n

One things that always bother me: the console sales sum up even the ones that are cracked? Because in my country the most sold console is always the easier to crack (PS1, PS2, X360), still today my friends say I’m crazy for owning a PS3 with only original games. If the Xbone is going to be hard to crack (and I’m betting it will) then this prediction of 2-3x advantage will probably be wrong here.

#29 1 year ago
  30. BrahManDude

thats good to hear im just waiting for the next halo or gears game to come out so i could but it

#30 1 year ago
  31. laughing-gravy

If this is true then why did Gamestop apparently stop pre-orders owing to high demand? Surely they would have had plenty of units. Gamestop and other retailers have already stated that Sony have given them a lot more units than MSoft. More bulls**t as usual.

#31 1 year ago
  32. MCTJim

@31 The 2 Gamestops in my area are given allotments, once they sell through, they cannot take anymore pre-orders, once they confirmed more units to said store, then they could take pre-orders again..this was for both consoles.

#32 1 year ago
  33. laughing-gravy

@32 No they were stopped because of MSoft’s stance on DRM at that time. If you believe otherwise then more pity you. This is just a case of lets throw a huge amount of BS around in the vain hope some of it will stick. PS: do you work at Gamestop?

#33 1 year ago
  34. laughing-gravy

More evidence of BS: This is the same person (Colin Sebastian) yesterday. Make up your mind Sebastian! http://www.computerandvideogames.com/420198/expect-initial-ps4xbox-one-shortages-says-analyst/
    EDIT: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/23/4549456/ps4-passes-through-fcc-certification
    PS4 has been approved for certification by the FCC ahead of X1.

#34 1 year ago
  35. FuntimeBen

I wonder if Microsoft had a “unit advantage” for the $900 Million in surface tablets they didn’t sell.

#35 1 year ago
  36. MCTJim

@33 no I do not, I had asked about the pre-sales and the manager informed me of the policy set by Sony and MS. I got the PS4 and an X1 day one. I wanted another X1 and they couldnt sell it to me cause I got the last X1 pre-order..they said once they get a new allotment they would begin to sell them again on pre-order, which they did, but I had already gotten another day one from Amazon…and I hate typing on my phone.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Telepathic.Geometry

xbpx –> xbox

#37 1 year ago
  38. theidiotthatisme

I think I understood it very differently; he was talking about supply chains when he made the comment about a 2-3x advantage and the fifty dollar difference. I don’t think it’s whether or not Microsoft is going to SELL that many times more, but that there’s going to be much more supply of the Xbox One available at launch. And if there is a shortage expected of both consoles, it’s great marketing to show “Xbox One outsold PS4 at launch”, even if the only reason was simply because there was more of them.

#38 1 year ago
  39. DSB

So by unit advantage they’re talking about supply right?

I’d be surprised if the Xbox One was tracking far ahead of the PS4 in terms of actual orders. I knew Microsoft were gonna back down when I saw analysts putting them 20% behind the PS4 for preorders.

I think they were fast enough to limit the lions share of the damage, but this along with the Kinect paranoia and Snowden-gate should really have some sort of impact.

I’d be very surprised to see Microsoft get a head start after that, I think at best they’ll be neck and neck.

#39 1 year ago
  40. dexfx69

Ever since Sony got the upper hand last month, Microsoft has been paying high ranking people to write articles/announce propaganda to try to fool buyers into thinking that “everything’s ok” now, and that “Xbox One is very popular now”. Of course, most of us are not that dumb.

Heard of the NSA? The Xbox One “always on” mic/camera is one of the prime tools for privacy abuse by big brother NSA. The NSA has been getting large amounts of private user info from Microsoft for YEARS – research it on the web for details. Microsoft saying they’ll “aggressively” try to stop the government from using the Xbox for surveillance….is a PR brainwash stunt and insulting joke.

It’s frightening to see this situation go down, and I hope folks are wise in their purchase decisions on the upcoming console generation.

#40 1 year ago