GameStop halted Xbox One pre-orders because demand was too high – Microsoft

Tuesday, 23rd July 2013 15:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It appears GameStop stopped taking pre-orders for Xbox One because the demand was too high.

This is according to Xbox chief of staff Aaron Greenberg on Twitter, who said demand for the console was “through the roof” at the retailer.

“Demand was through the roof, so pre-orders stopped for now,” Greenberg said. “Get on the GameStop first to know list for pre-order updates.”

No one knows for sure how well pre-orders for the console, or PS4 are doing as neither company will say – but Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said last week during a call to investors pre-orders were “two times” that of the previous generation.

Xbox One and PS4 are out this holiday season.

Via Gamespot.

1. Gheritt White

Does *anybody* believe Greenberg? I mean, really? If this came from GameStop, then it’d have at least some credibility. As it is, Twitter is hardly the most reliable source to disseminate the truth.

Def worth reporting, though!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I don’t “get” it, personally. If a retailer stands to make $$$ off something, why “stop” taking orders for it? I am out of touch I guess.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MCTJim

at least things seems to be back on track for Microsoft.

in other news..ebay trolls are salivating at the shortages.

I am glad that they stopped taking pre-orders for these systems because history will repeat itself..shortages of day one consoles. No one is going to be able to just get a system before the Christmas Holidays without a bit of luck unless its a pre-order..this of course is just my opinion. But most of us have watched previous launches and there were indeed shortages..well not the Wii U.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Aullah

Bullshit. PR bullshit.

#4 1 year ago
  5. loci

Yeah yeah, it’s like one of those cheap ads you see in a newspaper.
    “Order now while stocks last” ~_~

Greenberg in fetal position, shivers and weeps on the floor of his warehouse full of unsold 180′s.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

If I can make a profit from a day one console on ebay (I now have both pre-ordered) I’m gonna do it. Every new gen I think “I really should have bought an extra one” but this time, I’m gonna do it. If not I’m just going to return one of them (most likely the PS4).

#6 1 year ago
  7. DreadSabot

It goes to reason as BestBuy is also sold out – Glad I pre-oredered both systems so I wont be searching during the holiday season for one

#7 1 year ago
  8. Joe Musashi

Oh look. Another retailer related story about “through the roof” and “skyrocketing” and “unprecedented” or “record-breaking” demand for something.

I’ve yet to see a single number given by any party involved with such ‘success’ stories to qualify their hyperbole.

What a crock of shit.

JM

Clarification: This is not criticism of the article or the presence of the article on the site.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Viremi

Speaking to many Gamestop managers… they were allocated very small amounts in the beginning per store unlike PS4. I hate “pr” stuff that manipulates facts..

Give example.. all 3 of my local stores were allocated 40 boxes per.. 100 PS4s…

#9 1 year ago
  10. _LarZen_

Gamestop went out saying Wii U pre-order was sold out also. And we all know how that story turned out…

This is just the PR departments having fun at work…nothing more.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@9 What you said, exactly. We’ve reported on that more than once, so it stands to reason that numbers are indeed “massive” if all 40 odd or so are sold out in every store.

I just like numbers to back things up is all – like everyone else. We’ll get them eventually, I reckon.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Belazur

Just like the PSVITA and WiiU.
    Remember? Pre-oders stopped. Sold out on release.
    And now look at them.

Btw. Microsoft has less XBone’s available. So they had to stop the pre-orders early.
    PS4 has more pre-orders.
    Even at Gamestop!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mike W

Really Aaron? The only people that will believe that crap are people like Woe.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Fethennour

Is this guy serious or just trolling around like a jerk ?

#14 1 year ago
  15. bradk825

I know when I ordered mine in-store they didn’t know how many they’d get, and would only commit to 10 until they knew. If they over-commit they run the risk of having to ship to most customers but tell some “Sorry we took your deposit and then didn’t give you an Xbox, we’ll get you one as soon as we can though.”

My local store also halted pre-orders for special editions of the last 2 call of duty games because they didn’t believe they could fill any more orders. Same idea. They want to confirm how many they can ship before they commit to shipping them.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Irani

Now Sony is Burning HaHa… :) Shame To Sony , Long Live Microsoft

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gheritt White

^ http://i.qkme.me/3qyoau.jpg

#17 1 year ago
  18. DeVitowned

I like Irani. He reminds me of the Dead Terrorist puppet Jeff Dunham uses.

#18 1 year ago
  19. JimFear-666

Aaron greenberg is well known bullshiter

#19 1 year ago
  20. mistermogul

@8 – Agreed.

I am fucking sick to death of these BS, spun, pointless stories.

It is corporate propaganda used to manipulate the market (both share price and consumers).

Even if the demand is high, who gives a fuck?

Demand being “through the roof” probably means in reality that “shit we’re not selling enough” let’s make up some crap to improve demand. If it was through the roof do you not think they would be trumping numbers?

MS are reacting to what the market is doing and this is why we saw a complete U-turn on their policies. They shat their pants and had no choice.

Grrr…

Edi – I should also point out that this is not having a go at the site/author, rather the companies that manipulate the market on consumers that fall for this shit.

#20 1 year ago
  21. laughing-gravy

They were stopped because of MSoft’s original stance on DRM. Wishful thinking perhaps?

#21 1 year ago
  22. IL DUCE

Quit being ignorant MS haters….that’s a true statement, demand was too high since GameStop only gets allocated a certain amount of Xbox One’s for launch day…I spoke to a GameStop employee a week or two ago when they were taking the last pre-orders (for the time being) over that weekend so I pre-ordered mine, and that was the exact reasoning he gave…demand is too high for the amount of Xboxes each GameStop location is being allocated…where is there false information in that statement?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Darksider123

@4 Pretty much everything from MS is bullshit

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

No numbers means these quotes mean next to nothing or inaccurate like Joe said.

#24 1 year ago
  25. airsick7

Smells like MS has launched a coordinated effort to hype up pre-orders. Knowing what we do about their corporate culture, we can only assume this means they’ve seen pre-order numbers that scare the shit out of them.

#25 1 year ago
  26. wildBoar

MS are so pathetically transparent these days they make things worse no matter what they say.

Not even making the effort to make someone else advertise your product. Ugh, I wish Amazon would just fuck with them and release their official numbers.

#26 1 year ago
  27. hitnrun

I’m sure it *is* true. How I’ve missed console release bullshit.

Younger gamers may not realize that this is a bidecennial tradition: shorting the supply chain on release to create buzz around the perception of a “hot” item. The media reports of unavailability for Christmas are worth a mint in free advertising.

Meanwhile, the fans who are dumb/rich/loyal enough to buy a console in its first year pay the price for the companies.

Sony is – or was – even worse at this nonsense.

#27 1 year ago