Xbox One captures your last 5 minutes of play compared to PS4′s 15

Monday, 22nd July 2013 11:57 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will boast similar footage capture and sharing tech to PS4, but Microsoft has confirmed that the console will only record your last five minutes of play at any given time. PlayStation 4 on the other hand, captures the last 15 minutes.

You may have seen that we reported on Microsoft’s Xbox One panel session at Comic-Con last night, in which Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb used the console’s Project Upload feature to record Killer Instinct highlights from Evo 2013.

Well, Gamespot reports that during the same session Lobb confirmed that Xbox One is capable of recording your last five minutes of gameplay, compared to PS4′s 15 minutes.

Lobb said, “The idea is you’re always recording. The last five minutes of any game you’re playing are always being stored on your hard drive.”

Say you’re making a compilation video but can’t stop your session to save the last five minutes before capturing the next; Lobb said added, “Say you’re playing online and you just did the best thing ever – you can’t pause as you’re playing online. You can say ‘Xbox, record that’ and it’ll grab the last 30 seconds of gameplay for you to play around with later.”

What do you make of the difference in capture time between Xbox One and PS4? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Lengendaryboss

Well… Its better than nothing but…

#1 1 year ago
  2. trixnine

Nice post. Do we have any idea what the resolution is of the captured gameplay ? Anyone know if either system will record HD quality?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

5 minutes isn’t much. 15 minutes seems like a lot. Nonetheless, people will find a reason to complain and start yet another argument over nothing.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

They are entitled to regardless of what you say.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

Doesn’t really sound like something that would be set in stone. So they could expand that at a later date. The kinect voice integration would be useful – providing voice recognition is improved. Previous experience would mean it would take longer than 30 seconds to recognise me saying it :D.

Oh and in before the ‘this is a feature I won’t use and have not the comprehension to understand why others might think it’s great’ crowd ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

Sony fanboys haven’t woken up yet i guess.

Nevertheless, any time now i guess.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Enjoy it while it lasts, the apocalypse comes soon….

#7 1 year ago
  8. Biscuitpants

both features for both consoles are pointless anyways, even 15mins recording isnt that much, i bet most people who use this feature will probs record stupid glitches on whatever games they are playing on

#8 1 year ago
  9. mistermogul

Sorry off topic – Dave why did you pull the Nintendo buying Atlus story old chap?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Could have something to do with the fact that it was an opinion piece not a rumour?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@9 I read the guy’s quote again to reappraise it and I realised it was more of a prediction than a rumour. There was nothing to back it up so I nuked it.

What Boss said basically.

#11 1 year ago
  12. GK

in shitbox one what are,are everything less but price is bigger and take more money.nice :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

It’s written to a cache on your hard disk. This 5 minutes, 15 minutes thing is ridiculous. The only limit will be your hard drive space.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Joe Musashi

@10&11 But .. but.. 2 people said it would happen. 2 PEOPLE! ;)

As for this. I dunno you can get a lot into 10 mins (as YouTube has shown with great success).

I think those with an interest in showing of gaming content are more likely to favour live streaming options.

I don’t think the function is entirely redundant, however. But it’s fun watching one camp dismiss something wholesale based on a single unfavourable metric, isn’t it?

JM

#14 1 year ago
  15. TF_PtMaster

So this means in PS4 i can have a full FIFA online game recorded, and on Xbox One i can’t.

My mistake… like MS guy said, i can pause a online game and ask Kinect to do it every 5 minutes.

Nice.

#15 1 year ago
  16. trixnine

I make gaming YT vids. These two timeframes are pretty clear cut. 5 mins recording will allow for montages and 15 minute recording will allow for montage and gameplay commentary. Not everyone wants to livestream but that functionality will no doubt be integrated aswell.

#16 1 year ago
  17. mistermogul

@10, 11 – cool cheers!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

I take full credit for being the first person to point out that it was an editorial.

Thank you, thank you. You’re all too kind.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

*does Ric Flair strut*

Wooooooooo!!!!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 Ah Flair, such a mad bastard. Loved him back in the day.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Ge0force

Next week, Microsoft will announce they also capture 15 minutes of video if they follow their strategie from the past few weeks.

#21 1 year ago
  22. dravenkaze

Microsoft…what a load of …

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

I think people are misinterpreting it.

With a HDD, there’s no reason they can’t store a recording as long as you want it. What they’re saying is that, without activating anything, it will always keep the last five / fifteen minutes of your gameplay stored on the HDD. You know, just in case you want to do something awesome.

This is all just a dick measuring contest anyway. It doesn’t bloody matter whether one machine is vaguely more powerful than the other. Even with the PS3 / 360, the differences in quality between most third party titles were so negligible as to be pointless.

Buy whatever is useful for you, and let everyone else enjoy what’s useful for them.

#23 1 year ago
  24. bradk825

5 minutes isn’t enough, but I’m glad you can tell it to grab the last 30 seconds for later anyway. I am hoping they’ll come out with something more customizable, so I’d be able to make that into 45 seconds, or sacrificing a little HDD space have a longer period like 10 minutes on the ongoing recording.

#24 1 year ago
  25. MrWaffles

15 minutes seems adequate, 5 seems a little bit restricting. It all depends on how you can manage the recordings.

If you could quick-cut the last 5 mins on the flight, then having it record again then that’d would be fine.

If you’re forced to pause to share/edit/upload (regardless of how many minutes) then the longer the better.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Malki

Those 15 minutes aren’t carved in stone yet. Last week, Sony Europe’s Neil Brown at Develop said it’s gonna be “several” minutes. Quickly after that the internet start buzzing with rumors, that in the end it’s gonna be around 7 minutes.

#26 1 year ago
  27. saguaro

300k of servers and 5 minutes? hmm

#27 1 year ago
  28. macdaddy42

Most gamers can’t upload 15 mins or 5 mins, so it really don’t matter, the thing is Sony keeps sneaking little by little things that MS plan to do in the 1st place, I think Sony got a lot more untold perks for the bad for gamers,…so I say buy and play whatever system you Love and Have Fun doing….
    Have they Ever been a Gen of systems that just Blown all the others out of the water??? NO…it’s like All the CEO’s of the companies set together and agree what they are going to do,and make juts a little diff so no one can point fingers..LOL…Perfect example Xbox1 vs PS4..they both running dang near same speed CPU,,and you all now that both are not running today’s Fastest CPU we have on the market!!! just think how close the two systems Really are????? wonder how both companies knew what CPU, Ram, HHD to use..they never really out do each other..Just saying kind of funny

#28 1 year ago
  29. MrWaffles

actually, it’s “virtually unlimited cloud power” according to the Azure PR push a few weeks back.

So, yeah, it’s a bit disappointing.

#29 1 year ago
  30. illuminatusv

Cool down. XBox One is recording 5 min. in a ring buffer when you have not decided to record before you started a game plus you can record a 30sec. snippet mid game if you want to. That’s all what was said (background recording). In addition to that you can still record a longer session at your will (depending on your hd free space) or stream it live via twitch but you have to start and end that recording by yourself.

#30 1 year ago
  31. ChrisPilote

Yeah, because power and bandwidth are the same…

Anyway, as @23 said, it’s just a 5 minutes video buffer you can access at any time, if you decide to save some footage after it happened…
    You’re still capable of starting a longer recording beforehand if you want to record a full session.

#31 1 year ago
  32. fengato

5 or 15? Waste of resources – I trust I’ll be able to switch it off on both.

#32 1 year ago
  33. CmdrVOODOO

It’s limited because the Kinect captures the last 36 hours of everything going on in your house. :P

#33 1 year ago
  34. ArcticMonkey

Also, The PS4 has an 8 inch dick while the xbox one only has a 5 incher. Preorder accordingly.

#34 1 year ago
  35. KAP

Bunch of xbone apologists on this comment thread make me laugh, ffs..

I’m getting an PS4 over an xbone because I feel I’m getting more for less.. does that make me a Sony fanboy?

Who really cares?

#35 1 year ago
  36. redwood

@34 it’s people like you and the comments you post , that make this site worth visiting… thank you Arcitic that comment made my day.

#36 1 year ago
  37. ArcticMonkey

@36 Haha no problem, glad someone else found it amusing.

Have to admit, I saw the preview of your comment on the right side of the main page and all it said was “It’s people like you and the comments you post that make this site..” then it cuts off. Before clicking I thought, “Oh boy” lol

#37 1 year ago
  38. Cobra951

@5: That was my first thought. One system update could bridge that gap. Meanwhile, the trolls will have a field day. :D

#38 1 year ago
  39. bradk825

@34 if we’re going by dick size I don’t have to order either one. ;-)

If only… LOL.

#39 1 year ago
  40. redwood

that’s a question not many people know the real answer to

#40 1 year ago
  41. bradk825

I you’re been nicknamed “redwood” I think you know the answer.

#41 1 year ago
  42. KoojoPanda

I love seeing technically specific posts like this. It’s part of the reason I come here. Thanks.

#42 1 year ago