Titanfall’s mech drops explained, differences between current & next-gen builds confirmed

Monday, 22nd July 2013 10:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment has discussed the nature of the game’s mech drops and how scoring kills makes them more frequent. The studio has also confirmed there will be differences between current and next-gen builds.

In an interview with MK Gaming, Respawn’s community manager Abbie Heppe explained how good performance can speed up the frequency of mech drops.

“Titans are available throughout the match and are set to a timer,” she stated. “You can decrease the amount of time it takes to call in a Titan by completing objectives and getting kills. Once you lose your Titan the countdown starts again. It is possible that everyone in the match could have a Titan on the battlefield at the same time.”

This does suggest that maps could become swarmed with mechs, but Heppe suggested that environments have areas for both Titans and human soldiers to do combat in. “We have to have maps that support not only the Titans which are over 20 feet tall but also human-sized Pilots,” she explained, “so even our “smaller” maps are pretty large comparatively.

“What’s cool is each map has areas for Titans and areas for Pilots, so you get these smaller maps built into the larger ones and all these cool pathways through them.”

Finally, when asked if there would be an offline mode, Heppe said that Titanfall is purely a multiplayer experience, and replying to a question about differences between the game’s PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One builds she added, “There will be differences because the platforms are different but the game isn’t finished yet so I can’t go into detail about what they might be.”

Are you pumped for Titanfall? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. Kyle Jackson

I’m getting this for PC, as I’m not interested in consoles. But as this is only multiplayer, it should be cheaper than a game with both sp & mp…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

It wont.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Max Payne

Well I hope they don’t get cheap on quantity of maps and mods.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

“Titanfall is purely a multiplayer experience”

Ok, I get it. You don’t want me to play your game. Stop yelling and go back to your MP only game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. mistermogul

This lost me at “multiplayer only”…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Max Payne

So people all of suddon love cod SP sooo much ?
    But when BF 3 and 4 have SP everyone hated because its not needed ?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Different people, different tastes.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@6 Different people have different taste.

Some people want single player experiences. Some don’t. This obviously isn’t a game for people who want single player.

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

this game looks like the most uninspired piece of shit i have ever seen…
    can´t wait to skip it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthabutt

@4, @5, @9
    “And nothing of value was lost.”

Edit: added polygem to the bunch

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@Polygem
    Thats the spirit :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

yeah i´m in THAT mood today

#12 1 year ago
  13. viralshag

I’m glad the SP only people will be skipping it. This one is for the real MP gamers.

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

i am a mp gamer – game still looks boring to me. the artdesign is unbelieveably lazy imho. cod with mechs. sure, maybe some people want exactly that but i just can´t understand the hype for it. i saw that trailer and thought, wow, that´s what they´re cooking? they are playing it so damn safe it hurts. this isn´t adding some well needed spice to the industry it´s just a little helper to water things down even more.

not a game i want to start a next gen with.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

What were you expecting? Jelly soldiers that shoot candyfloss and ride the backs of mechanical dolphins? And well yeah, that sounds original… but also shit.

How else would you suggest they spice up a mech vs human combat shooter?

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

@15: nahh, that sounds amazing actually :)
    that, as a truly competitive mp shooter? day one for me.

#16 1 year ago
  17. deathm00n

I’m with poly, I don’t see what makes this game so different from games people have been bashing at being “another brown shooter”. Just because it’s next gen everyone lose their minds thinking that will be awesome, when in reality what they showed so far had no inovation. Really, the multiplayer of The Last of Us from the current gen have way more innovation than this. And Destiny is looking like something with potential. But this? Sorry, I will need a lot more convincing.

#17 1 year ago
  18. stretch215

@9 You mean like every game at Sony’s e3 conference? If this were a ps4 exclusive most of you fools would be singing it’s praises from the rooftops. Lol. @16 of course you would, I bet he had you at jelly soldiers, you child gamer, you. ;)

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

The game is “the most uninspired piece of shit” (Polygem) no matter what platform it is on exclusively or otherwise. “You mean like every game at Sony’s e3 conference?” That has no relevance here and is subjective.

Troll elsewhere.

#19 1 year ago
  20. stretch215

@17 bwahahahaha. Destiny? The inevitable halo clone? How are they “innovating” lol? And the last of us mp is incredibly boring and slow. Loved the sp, but the mp is “snooze- worthy” to say the least.

#20 1 year ago
  21. stretch215

#19 it’s relevance to you doesn’t matter, fool. You can’t even spell your name right, go back to school.

#21 1 year ago
  22. stretch215

It’s spelled LEGENDARY, asshole. Lengendary is a made up word. LOL. Maybe if you did something besides post on vg24/7 all day you would know how to spell. Here you go, my kids love this site http://www.abcmouse.com/

#22 1 year ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

Personally, I think looking at a “realistic” shooter set in the future (with mechs) and calling it uninspired would be me looking at every Nintendo exclusive and saying “oh just another overly colourful kids game… UNINSPIRED.”

And yes, while we can get into the whole who has this or that opinion, it’s not really the case is it. Especially as no one has even played the game yet. If this doesn’t tick any boxes I imagine no games like COD, BF or TF would.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Joe Musashi

But.. Titanfall ;)

JM

#25 1 year ago
  26. stretch215

@19 “…has no relevance here and is subjective” lol. Do you know what that means, child? Post #9 is also completely subjective, yet you use that post to tell me about my “subjective” post. You sir, are not the brightest bulb in the box, are you?

#26 1 year ago
  27. stretch215

@23 Yeah, that’s what I thought. You have no response because I’m right. Fool can’t even spell his name….lol

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

“1. belonging to, proceeding from, or relating to the mind of the thinking subject (person’s thoughts) and not the nature of the object (discussion) being considered”
    “2. of, relating to, or emanating from a person’s emotions, prejudices, etc. subjective views”

Sure what @9 is saying is partly subjective but still relevant.

#28 1 year ago
  29. stretch215

@28 my post is no more “subjective” than #9. And “relevance” is also a subjective concept, kid. I’m surprised you actually had to look that up.

#29 1 year ago
  30. stretch215

Now, use that dictionary (site) to learn to spell your name. ;)

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

“You mean like every game at Sony’s e3 conference? If this were a ps4 exclusive most of you fools would be singing it’s praises from the rooftops.”

“this game looks like the most uninspired piece of shit i have ever seen… can´t wait to skip it.”

Ones more subjective than the other.

Now troll elsewhere.

Your point doesn’t have any relevance to the subject being discussed. Neither are linked in this scenario.

#31 1 year ago
  32. stretch215

@31 your point?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

Use your mighty intellect to figure it out troll.

Hint: Relevance is not the thing that is subjective here.

Double Hint: If you can’t see it then there is no point in arguing.

The Last Hint: Look above.

#33 1 year ago
  34. stretch215

@31 what?? There is no such thing as “more” subjective, lol. It’s either “subjective” or it isn’t. I made a subjective statement, followed by some “sarcastic hyperbole”. #9 made a only a “subjective” statement. I don’t even know why I’m debating with a guy that can’t even spell legendary.

#34 1 year ago
  35. stretch215

@33 hints? Lol. You can’t even spell your handle (my 9 year old can, I just checked) and you want to give me hints?? I wouldn’t take a “hint” from a cretin like you if I was paid. Especially when you clearly have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

#35 1 year ago
  36. manamana

@VG24/7-Staff See what’s wrong with your site?! This place isn’t fun anymore with it’s bitching, bashing, fanboy infested comment-section. This place needs the redesign sooner than later.

#36 1 year ago
  37. bradk825

VG247 don’t decide who posts what in the comment section…

#37 1 year ago
  38. viralshag

Yeah the trolls and fanboys are much worse than the cynical and miserable gamers “bored” by gaming. There’s plenty of them around here to let you know just how bad it is…

#38 1 year ago
  39. polygem

not bored by gaming. enjoying the hell out of the last of us mp and hotline miami atm…just bored by boring games. this one looks like one of those (EDIT: to me).

#39 1 year ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

@38:

Indeed.

The increase in individuals whose internet persona is based on nothing other than repeatedly spewing negativity is very sad.

‘This is crap! I’m not buying that! They’ll never get my money! This is boring! I hate those colours! I don’t like this game! Blah, blah, blah…’

Must be depressing being so full of hatred all the time…

#40 1 year ago
  41. polygem

well some games get praise and love – others don´t and tastes are just different. where´s the problem?
    i can only talk about myself but i recently praised hotline miami, dark souls, velocity ultra, last of us (especially mp) with my kindest words on this page…then i say this game looks like shit to me and i am full of hatred instantly? yeah right.

#41 1 year ago
  42. DrDamn

Agree. It’s sometimes difficult to imagine this hobby is about having fun playing games.

Whilst I am personally more excited by what something like Destiny is offering I can absolutely understand what attracts people to Titanfall. It looks like a great example of this sort of game offering something like CoD but doing something different with it. I could also apply that same statement to Destiny and Halo.

#42 1 year ago
  43. deathm00n

@40 It’s easier to talk about things you don’t like than things you like. I don’t know if I’m one of these individual but I’m probably affected by this, I normally post about bad things in the games. But I have a lot of games I love and I think I will never stop playing games, there’s always something to look forward to. But Titanfall isn’t one of them to me. What’s worth playing in my opinion? The Last of Us, Xcom:EU, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, Battlefield 3, Uncharted, Demon/Dark Souls, Borderlands, Fallout, The Secret World, Catherine and a lot more. It’s not just hate in my case

#43 1 year ago
  44. DeVitowned

Hate to say it, but VG247 has no balls. Bring on Digi-Hitler to put a final solution upon the whiney, childish fanboy masses so us gaming pure bloods can focus on why the fuck we’re here in the first place. That’s right, I just went there.

#44 1 year ago
  45. OlderGamer

This site is like a indie band. When both are small and relatively unknown they have charm. People that are drawn to that charm become bitter and turned off when success changes the site/band. It isn’t the same experience it was a couple two or three years ago(VG247).

It just is what it is. The site is pulling in a very large number of people now. It doesn’t need to sell out, but it needs to adapt. A smart, well thought out redesign is essential. Trolls can NOT be ignored. People making multi accounts can NOT be overlooked. Crist I am deleting spam posted by one person(not a spam bot) with a single account, yet that account is not banned. It goes back and forth. He posts, I delete, and a min later he reposts .. and round and round we go. I think the site needs more tools. I also think there needs to be a couple more people that Pat can trust to mod/do site maintence. Esp where the community is concerned.

Either it gets cleaned up or the only thing actively posting is going to be trolls, flaming fanbois, and noobs passing by.

As for the comment G1GA made I disagree. I think it is a lot like that indie band. If anyone expects people to all listen to mainstream radio bands…and then gets put off when people dismiss that…I think those people are misguided. A gamer could make a meal off of games the mainstream has never heard of. Consoles and Trip A gaming is like that mainstream stuff. It just isn’t for everyone. There is so much more out there.

I know that I myself have become very jaded with the franchising mainstream stuff. I agree on both sides of the Titanfall coin. It intregues me, but I have a feeling that in the end it is CoD with mechs. Shallow, repetitive, and worn out…but with mechs as kill streak bonuses. But I am sure some will eat it up. Good for them.

But stop with the bashing of folks that stand up and say they have had enough. They aren’t hurting you. Aren’t attacking you. And certainly aren’t stopping you from enjoying what you like.

In the end we like what we like. Even while I dislike most of those mainstream games, my guilty pleasure are some of the EA Sport games. So, basicly live and let live I guess. I can fully understand where someone could be coming from critizing NCAA Football/Madden/or FIFA. And those critics have merit. But so does my enjoyment of them.

So if someone says they aren’t interested in a game that you are looking forward to…so freaken what? Doesn’t mean anything. You don’t need to be a smug shit and snipe at them for it.

#45 1 year ago
  46. DrDamn

@OG
    So if someone called the new 3D Mario on WiiU an uninspired piece of shit they are looking forward to not getting you wouldn’t bite? That’s not offering an opinion that’s trolling because it’s looking for a reaction, either that or the commenter is being very naive.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Christopher Jack

Can someone who is genuinely hyped by this please explain to me why? I just don’t see the appeal CoD: Mech Warfare. I certainly don’t get all that praise flowing from the critics either. I’d likely say the same thing about Destiny with Halo but wouldn’t feel right because I never properly watched the gameplay, I think they had issues on stage or the feed I was watching then I tuned the entire game out while waiting for the next trailer.

#47 1 year ago
  48. OlderGamer

I wouldn’t bite, no. Not any more. This is the interwebz man, gotta get it figured out after while. Took me awhile.

But the manor you described will be blatant trolling to some. However I think you have to consider the posters history. If it is a BS account like PS3Fanboy/Backup/Loki/etc then yeah…about the only things they post are flamebait. They are here only to induce nausea. They are trolling accounts. Accounts like those are why the site needs a community manager imo.

But there also needs to be an understanding that posters can say Sony Sux. MS Stinks. CoD Reaks. Or Indies are a waste of time. And not all posters will elaborate their statements the way that some other posters will.

In all things balance is key ;)

#48 1 year ago
  49. DrDamn

A poster can be a troll and a comment can be trolling. Neither should be tolerated.

#49 1 year ago
  50. OlderGamer

I agree.

But the trouble is that often times people will view an opposing opinion as trolling. And a poster that continues to post opposing views will be labeled a troll. Makes it tricky.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Christopher Jack

@49, I don’t want a nanny site. I think people should be free to speak their mind so long as they don’t get personal. I do however believe that people who come here only to spam Sony/ms/Ninty sux/rulz ought to be removed.

#51 1 year ago
  52. DrDamn

@OG
    True but a comment calling an unreleased game we’ve seen relatively little of a ‘piece of shit’ is a comment designed for a reaction. That’s kind of the very definition isn’t it? Poster history doesn’t matter when – as you say – visitor numbers are much higher and a comment like that can have just as detrimental and derailing an affect as any regular troll.

So free to speak their mind only not? :)

#52 1 year ago
  53. Major Mayhem 70

Polygem has no choice but to skip it. As do all the other Sony fanboys. If it ain’t made for PS4 it must be ignored. That’s a natural reaction by those type of gamers. I see the legendaryquotemaster I mean so called boss is here with his usual “I’m smarter than u and I can prove it cause I can copy and paste what u already said and it makes me feel superior”. Really dude?!? I see now this is a tactic of yours and I have to call you out on it like I did before. For the record, Titanfall looks great and it will be a mega hit when it comes out. One of the best games at E3…. Google that, should be quicker than quoting me. Good day 😜

#53 1 year ago
  54. manamana

@CJ sorry but that ‘freedom of speech’ bullshit isn’t working as you might’ve seen in the past year or so. If you prefer an anarchic, childish comment section instead of ongoing discussions, or at least some funny comments, than yeah freedom of speech is your partner on the interwebs.

I prefer a bit of moderation or control over a comment section of a professional website to avoid turning other people off.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Lengendaryboss

Quotemaster? I gave you a valid explanation for the quoting. It applies to this scenario as well. Anything is conspiracy theories.

When you can prove that is my attitude towards quoting its just stuff coming out of thin air. Provide a link where i said that and not your opinion of me.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Lengendaryboss

As for Titanfall, i will keep my eye out.

#56 1 year ago
  57. polygem

@53: haha, now i am a sony fanboy. awesome. first time. thank you. i was nintendo defence force member here. i´ve been called halonerd and xbot countless times too. noone ever called me a sony fan though, since i´ve criticized the shit out of them this gen :)
    awesome. where´s my achievement now…ermm i mean trophy?

by the way, i can google 1000000 links saying that shakira is the best singer on planet earth…think that´s true?

#57 1 year ago
  58. Christopher Jack

@54, It’s as if you didn’t read my comment. Essentially I believe we all have the right to express our opinion, never said we have or deserve the right to act like pusbags.

#58 1 year ago
  59. DrDamn

I think it shows she’s clearly not shit. :)

#59 1 year ago
  60. manamana

@58 maybe it wasn’t clear then? You don’t want a nanny site. Okay, power to the people! And what you’ll get is anarchic, if you don’t have any kind of regulation. But you want regulation in terms of trolls, spammers and missguided attackers. So, either you need a moderator (nanny), or you need to have a regulatory system which provides up/downgrading and blocking of downgraded comments etc.

It’s not that other sites don’t have trolls/idiots/fanboys and such. They just handle them. And I have hopes that the relaunch will take care of it but damn, it takes very long…

Btw. I have an alt account. I made it in the night Microsoft made a Uturn: I think it’s Xbox_oneeighty. Did one post and I don’t even remember if it’s the right username. Sounds totally fanboyish, I know. ;-)

#60 1 year ago
  61. polygem

@59…well…

#61 1 year ago
  62. bamn66

Ps3.5 fans are maaadddd haha .owell . Xbox won

#62 1 year ago
  63. Major Mayhem 70

Damn dude, you go right ahead and do exactly what I said you’d do. Quote me…lol

#63 1 year ago