Warcraft movie teaser trailer shown at Comic-Con

Saturday, 20th July 2013 20:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The World of Warcraft movie was teased during Comic-Com today thanks to a short trailer shown off by Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. The film directed by Duncan Jones, is scheduled to start shooting in early 2014. The teaser was a live-action, CG mix and showed a Warrior roaming an empty desert with a shield on his back facing off with an Orc. The film will simply be titled Warcraft. Once someone loads this up on YouTube we’ll post it for you here. Thanks, CinemaBlend.

1. Talkar

It isn’t a WoW movie, it’s a WarCraft movie… Don’t really know where the general idea of this being a WoW movie is coming from..

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hcw87

WoW=Warcraft
    Warcraft=WoW

Same shit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hybridpsycho

@1 It’s the same universe, same stories. The only difference between the games is how it’s played.

Also saying World of Warcraft will probably give it more attention today, go figure.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Talkar

@2,3
    I beg to differ. WarCraft has a beautiful story which WoW shared at the launch of the game. Now, WoW has its own story which is just comical because it is so messed up and contradictory that it has to be a joke, so that Blizz can still make WarCraft 4.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Have to agree. I loved WC2 in terms of gameplay and was a bit put off by WC3′s gameplay but that story… It was both intimate and epic, cinematic and game-ish and finally, serious and cheesy. LOVED it and its characters before Acti-Blizz ruined the whole series with WOW.

(Yes, I’m a WOW hater. Come at me!)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Max Payne

I would be really pissed if they don’t have Arthas story line and how he went on dark side.

#6 1 year ago
  7. _LarZen_

Been a few years since I finally left WoW, but the day a movie comes out I will run to the cinema.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Fin

JS?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@4 You’re being really, really pedantic.

#9 1 year ago
  10. KineticCalvaria

@9, Hmm who wrote this article… oh enough said… come down from your steed Sir Knight.

:) we do love to joke don’t we?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@10 I didn’t look at who wrote the article. I wasn’t even commenting on that anyway. I was commenting on people being pedantic about defining it as “Warcraft” or “World of Warcraft”. It’s anally rententive to the highest degree.

#11 1 year ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@11, I know, I’m only winding you up.

I agree it’s from the same universe and has the same lore so it’s pretty much irrelevant. From my recollection WoW didn’t really have a story anyway, at least nothing worth making a film out of, I think the Warcraft universe is incredibly dull.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Hybridpsycho

@12 Then you’ve missed ALOT, there’s always been a story in WoW but alot of people (a majority) simply ignored it for epics and achievements.

#13 1 year ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

@13, of course there’s a story under all that gear grinding somewhere, but the storytelling is so bad that it may as well not have a story at all. Certainly nothing original, it’s one of the most mundane worlds I’ve experienced (in my opinion).

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

Warcraft 3 had a tonne of lore and story, and is probably going to be the basis for the movie. It seems like the most obvious jumping off point, especially if they’re planning on sequels. This being modern Hollywood, they probably are.

Mists of Pandaria is probably the most story dense stuff Blizzard has with Warcraft since WC3, funnily enough. There’s stuff of story going on in the expansion, and an obscene amount of additional lore that surprisingly doesn’t butcher half of what has come before.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Talkar

The hell i am.
    WarCraft has always had an amazing amount of great and interesting lore. Then WoW came about and it started of pretty okay, but it didn’t take long before the expansions and title updates completely butchered the story. Which means, that if Blizz actually care about the story of this franchise, and want to make a WarCraft 4, or a proper movie, then WoW has to be in a paralel universe or some other batshit crazy idea.
    Just because someone doesn’t share your opinion, doesn’t make them wrong, pedantic or something else.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

Ha! People fighting over the “lore” of Warcraft when it is/was just a parody of other similar IPs. Just look at the the list of movies the director has been involved with. He has nothing and that right there shows this title is just a cash grab which Blizzard should have been on top of this before they started losing all their subs.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@16 Ell ooh ell.

Yep, definitely being pedantic.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Talkar

#19 1 year ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@19 Which is… exactly what you’re doing.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@17 Duncan Jones is very far from being a nobody. So far he’s only made small movies, but both have a 90+ rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a much tougher crowd than Metacritic.

Personally I was amazed by how great Moon looked for being a 5 million dollar movie, and I watched Source Code on a plane ride – It wasn’t really my bag, but to say that he’s somehow a bad director is just completely ignoring his work.

He’s been getting offers for bigger projects left and right, and I doubt that I’m the only one who expects great things from him in the future.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

I still hope he goes back to making smaller movies. I heard he wanted to do something Blade Runner inspired set in Berlin. Would love to see that.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Phoenixblight

Seeing SOurce Code which was a triple A movie it was pretty awful. Blizzard had much better directors biting and they lost that. Now they get this guy. Its a cash grab.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DSB

@23 If that’s the case, then there’s a lot of sixtuple-A movies out there. 30 million would’ve been a AAA movie in 1985. Today it’s not much of anything, and either way, Source Code tripled its budget at the box office, and it was critically acclaimed.

If that’s not a succes, then I don’t know what is.

The only directors I’ve heard of with regards to this one is Sam Raimi and Uwe Boll. Sam Raimi may be worth respecting for a number of reasons, but artistically, he’s not exactly top drawer.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Thats great you have a guy you like. I have seen Duncan Jones movies and they are not that good. SO what if Rotten TOmatoes, a meta critic of Movies, gave it high ratings. I didn’t like either of the movies. It would have been better in Sam Raimi’s hands. He has had more hits than misses for me.

” Source Code tripled its budget at the box office, and it was critically acclaimed.”

So? Good and Horrible movies do this all the time. Its not an achievement. Just takes some marketing and if I remember right that movie came out came out when there was nothing in the theatres other than Hop.

#25 1 year ago
  26. YoungZer0

@25: Well Raimi (IMO one of the most mediocre directors out there) definitely won’t direct it and you can thank Blizzard for that:

Robert Rodat was working on the script, and it was taking a long time. I think they were getting a little antsy at Legendary, the production company. Actually, what happened was even more complicated, so let me go back a little bit. First, they asked me if I wanted to make it, and I said, “Yes, I love World of Warcraft, and I think it would make a great picture.” So I read a screenplay they had that was written by the guys at [Warcraft developer] Blizzard, and it didn’t quite work for me. I told them I wanted to make my own original story with Robert, so we pitched it to Legendary and they accepted it, and then we pitched it to Blizzard, and they had reservations, but they accepted it. Then Robert wrote the screenplay, and only once he was done did we realize that Blizzard had veto power, and we didn’t know that. And they had never quite approved the original story we pitched them. Those reservations were their way of saying, “We don’t approve this story, and we want to go a different way,” so after we had spent nine months working on this thing, we basically had to start over. And Robert did start over, but it was taking too long for the people at Blizzard, and their patience ran out. Honestly, I think it was mismanagement on their behalf, not to explain to us that the first story was vetoed long ago. Why did they let us keep working on it? Were they afraid to tell me?

#26 1 year ago