Dragon Age: Inquisition dialogue system, exploration details come out of PAX Australia panel

Friday, 19th July 2013 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dragon Age: Inquisition will contain a revamped dialogue system, according to a BioWare panel at PAX Australia, and the change up is thanks to suggestions made by players of the previous entries in the series.

According to the panel notes taken on the BioWare forums and spotted by NeoGAF, players felt the prior games contained too many “simplistic binary choices,” and while the details are still being sorted, a better conversational flow seems to be the way it’s going.

The flow will tie into your character statistics and companions and may become more dramatic based on previous choices. BioWare is also looking to fix variances between text and character stated options.

Inquisition, as noted previously, will also contain more exploration options, more landscapes, and new enemies such as a formidable-looking demon and Nightmare – a skeleton type enemy.

There’s plenty more information through the links, although you will have to wade through a bit of inconsequential information to get to the good bits. You can thank OXM for forging through the sticks to bring you the more pertinent information.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will release in fall 2014 on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. Erthazus

I hope that they will completely ditch that shitty wheel dialog system. retarded system that need’s to go away with “Good, neutral bad” choices.

DAO/Baldurs Gate/NwN/Witcher dialog system are the best.

#1 9 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Gameplay. Show us some gameplay.

#2 9 months ago
  3. bradk825

Neat. Can’t wait to see what they come up with.

#3 9 months ago
  4. GwynbleiddiuM

@Erth I completely agree, it is just a terrible system.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Hcw87

Witcher 2′s dialogue system was very limited, with few choices just like DA2. Bad example there, the other ones were fine though.

#5 9 months ago
  6. GwynbleiddiuM

@5 He said Witcher, not Witcher 2.

#6 9 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Yeah, I honestly felt that the original Witcher was a better game than the second in almost every way, including the dialogue and the shades of grey. The only thing I wasn’t so fussy about with the original was the misogynistic treatment of women, but apparently the books were just as bad (and worse, if I remember correctly) too.

But yeah, the dialogue system of the original Witcher was pretty great. And this stands for every Obsidian game, too. For example — what they did with New Vegas, compared to Bethesda’s Fallout 3.

#7 9 months ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 Well from what I gathered from the horribad TV show, they’re that way when they become Witchers. They become very sexually active. And I guess another purpose of that it reflects how women are depicted in the writer’s society, I dunno if that shows that he has a problem with that reflection or not because I haven’t read the books. But I’m with you on the issue.

Obsidian always does good job with how they handle dialogues, how your attributes come into play in your conversations. BioWare used to be like that a long, long time ago. I guess they have forgotten about the very things that made them famous and decided to go in an entirely different direction during the past few years. Honestly even comparing to Skyrim, NV was by a huge margin a better game not just the dialogues. :D

#8 9 months ago