Pikmin 3 bests other high profile debuts in Japan

Wednesday, 17th July 2013 15:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Pikmin 3 took the top spot on the Media Create charts its debit week in Japan, besting other high-profile debuts such as Level-5′s Yokai Watch, New Super Luigi U, Dead Island: Riptide, and Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection.

Pikmin 3 moved 92,720 units compared to Yokai Watch at number two with 53,654 units. New Super Luigi U debuted at number five with 24,881 units moved, while Riptide moved 18, 462 on PS3. Konami’s Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection moved 17,599 according to the numbers, while Idea Factory’s Hanayaka Kana, Ware ga Ichizoku: Tasogare Polarstar debuted with 9,046 units moved on PSP.

Pikmin 3 also helped Wii U sale to surge considerably: the console moved 22,199 units compared to 8,251 the week prior. It was still second place behind 3DS LL, even with its week-over-week sales decline.

PS3 sales were up 1,015 units over the prior period, as were PS sales by 62 units. Wii sales were by by 100 units, as were Xbox 360 sales by 80 units, despite not having a software title listed in the top 20.

Here’s the full software chart for July 8-14. Life-to-date sales are in parentheses:

• [Wii U] Pikmin 3 (Nintendo, 07/11/13) – 92,720 (New)
  • [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 53,654 (New)
  • [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher, 07/04/13) – 37,024 (191,713)
  • [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo, 04/18/13) – 26,065 (1,259,847)
  • [Wii U] New Super Luigi U (Nintendo, 07/11/13) – 24,881 (New)
  • [PSV] Toukiden (Tecmo Koei, 06/27/13) – 20,853 (186,963)
  • [PSP] Toukiden (Tecmo Koei, 06/27/13) – 19,262 (118,404)
  • [PS3] Dead Island: Riptide (Spike Chunsoft, 07/11/13) – 18,462 (New)
  • [PS3] Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (Konami, 07/11/13) – 17,599 (New)
  • [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo, 06/13/13) – 12,963 (206,322)
  • [PS3] Gundam Breaker (Namco Bandai, 06/27/13) – 10,224 (242,819)
  • [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 10,088 (3,325,123)
  • [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, 03/21/13) – 9,184 (825,026)
  • [PS3] The Last of Us (SCEJ, 06/20/13) – 9,158 (173,181)
  • [PSP] Hanayaka Kana, Ware ga Ichizoku: Tasogare Polarstar (Idea Factory, 07/11/13) – 9,046 (New)
  • [PSP] DanganRonpa: Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair (PSP the Best) (Spike, 11/23/11) – 6,106 (91,204)
  • [3DS] Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode (Namco Bandai, 06/27/13) – 5,912 (50,952)
  • [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (Namco Bandai, 06/27/13) – 5,870 (106,914)
  • [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition (Namco Bandai, 11/29/12) – 5,203 (516,866)
  • [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: The Alchemist of Dusk Sky (Gust, 06/27/13) – 5,031 (72,873)

Here’s the full hardware chart for Week 28. Last week’s sales are in parentheses:

1. 3DS LL – 29,594 (29,716)
  2. Wii U – 22,199 (8,251)
  3. PSV– 15,662 (20,776)
  4. 3DS – 13,841 (14,506)
  5. PS3 – 12,698 (11,683)
  6. PSP – 5,830 (5,768)
  7. Wii – 1,434 (1,334)
  8. 360 – 393 (313)

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. xBASSxMONSTAx

Great to see. Hopefully it will be the same in US too.

#1 1 year ago
  2. elem187

Interesting… so the Wii U sold almost 3x as it did last week, and Pikmin 3 topped all the software charts, and it was only on sale for 2 days?

i don’t understand why some places are acting like this is a bad thing… almost 100k sales for a console game? Thats actually pretty good in Japan, they are a mostly handheld gaming nation.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Belazur

#2
    Because it is a bad thing.

90k in 2 days or a whole week doesn’t matter.
    22k bump for the WiiU is horrible.

The system is pretty much dead.

#3 1 year ago
  4. absolutezero

To put it into slight perspective The Last of Us sold more in its first week in Japan than Pikmin 3.

Not good.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

It’s all relational to how much it costs Nintendo to make the console for though.

They are prob turning profit already, or very close too. I’ll be suprised if the PS4 / Xbone will start turning profit in 1 year, especially after R & D etc…

Drama Queen much?

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Install base is slightly different though?

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Its also a deeply Western title. Selling more. In Japan.

#7 1 year ago
  8. peebow1000

@ ABSOLUTEZERO

PS3 has over 20 times the install base and 7 years recognition. And I’ll bet The Last Of Us ran on a vastly higher budget. Pikmin 3 comparitively has probably done far better

#8 1 year ago
  9. Francis O

Nintendo is at the bottom of the charts….everybody says doomed it doesn’t sell.

Nintendo is at the top of the charts…. it sucks it wasn’t enough.

LOL you haters never cease to amaze me with your stupidity. Nintendo taking the number one software and two hardware is not a bad thing. And when more software comes out it will be right back there at the top

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

This is a very small bump. They got a bump too, from Dragon Quest X that didn’t even last two weeks.

We’ll see in a month if this means anything.

As it is, the numbers for Pikmin 3 are not impressive. Games like Tales of Xillia sold more than that their first week. If this is “saving” the system, then that’s very sad, indeed.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

Ladies and gentleman the Nintendroid: Francis.

at the top of the charts… In japan. Worldwide is what should be the basis of your judgement not one region.

It is comments like these and your FPS nonsense is what attracts attention. People have different expectations than you its not stupidity.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

Why can’t people just be glad and happy for something instead of putting it down?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@11 – at the top of the charts in Japan…on a slow week.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Francis O

Clupula and Legendarychump

I already knew you too jackasses would come in here trying to damage control these numbers.

- Clupula, who said Pikmin 3 would “save” the Wii U it’s a fucking summer title. LOL If Nintendo thought it would sell the most they would have released it you during the holiday season. Nintendo is banking on Mario, DKC, and Wii Fit U to move more units in the fall… not a freaking summer title.

- Nintendo needs titles like this to continue sales momentum. 22,000 is good for a console. It beat the PS3, PS Vita—-> success

It’s just the beginning, with many more titles to be released. And remember this is only 2 days of sales data. It is really good for a install base that is far lower than the PS3.

Legendarychump

Shut the F*ck up

#14 1 year ago
  15. Alernet

Its hilarious seeing people in the comments here try to say that Pikmin 3 selling at #1 and the Wii U selling at #2 is a bad thing. Wii U is only the runner up to another Nintendo product yet somehow “this actually means Nintendo is done for.” Jesus Christ, people.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

Exactly

#16 1 year ago
  17. Francis O

Because they hate Nintendo, Clupula has been talking shit about how doomed Nintendo is. He’s not going to back down now.

Of course he’s wrong, and most intelligent people know Nintendo will do just fine. But that won’t stop guys like Clupula from Damage controlling anytime Nintendo has success.

#17 1 year ago
  18. absolutezero

I was more surprised at how much TLoU sold rather than being slightly depressed at how little Pikmin 3 did.

I think it might be more of a success outside of Japan anyway.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@17 No, they dislike *you* because you have to put down anyone who doesn’t agree with you.

People are allowed to have their opinions. They’re not the ones who walked into this thread and called people stupid though. Why not just be happy for the console instead of attacking everyone else? They didn’t even name drop you.

I’m just glad to see the game sell and the Wii U get a little more traction. More hardware sales mean a larger userbase, meaning more sales for future games. I don’t expect the hardware to jump into first place, and it probably never will. And you know what? That’s okay. As long as the games are good, I’m happy.

Nintendo aren’t doing “just fine”, sadly. They’re *losing* money for the first time in the company’s history as a console developer, and that is not a good thing no matter what way you want to look at it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

@Oh Francis
    I never commented or damage controlled numbers, get your facts right i just said one region should not be the basis of your overall judgement and you shouldn’t call people stupid or haters for having higher expectations than you.

I wouldn’t have commented if those first three sentences didn’t exist.

Like i have said to you plenty of times i don’t hate Nintendo i own DS and soon 3DS: does that equal hate? No? I didn’t think so.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Francis O

@Legendarychump

We all know how Japan operates. Consoles sell less than portables. I think it has more to people disliking Nintendo than them “having higher expectations” than me.

Especially since the PS3 almost never breaks 20K sold, even with high profile releases like The Last of Us and MGS The Legacy Collection.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

Good Thats right let the butthurt flow right through you :)

#22 1 year ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

Also deep down you know what i’m saying is true otherwise you wouldn’t have to result to swearing twice and actually counter-argue.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Francis O

@22 Legendarychump

The only person butthurt is your boyfriend Clupula with that damage control cranked up to the max.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Sadismek

@21 Stealth edit like a boss!

#25 1 year ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@24 And there we go again.

It’s like talking to children.

If you throw your rattler out the playpen, I’m not getting it for you.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    First two sentences not really relevant to what i said. Next is conspiracy theories (get them to prove it because i see it as not having their expectations met) and final sentence right back at the first sentence.

Done.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Francis O

Legendarychump

Like i said, people on here are just hating. These numbers are good, it has nothing tto ddo with their expectations. Clupula is on here comparing pikmin 3 to final fantasy as if any body said pikmin 3 will sell as much.

Im just tired of the damage control going on by some people. The wii u and pikmin 3 did good! These vg24damage controllers need to deal with it

#28 1 year ago
  29. Clupula

@24 – Francis, why must you always fall back on homophobic comments and insults? Really, you can’t just speak like a civilized human being?

And…uh…aren’t homophobic comments a bannable offense on this site, now that I think about it? Hmmm…

#29 1 year ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@28 If you cared that much you would make your point without insulting everyone else in the process. You’re guilty of just as much “damage control”. Why being other people into your gratitude for the success of the console? They’re two people.

@29 Yes, but that would imply they actually cared

It’s only offensive when it targets the staff. Other members? Who gives a fuck?

#30 1 year ago
  31. dreamcastnews

I must admit I’m getting a little tired with the constant Nintendo intercepting going on, Pikmin is number one in the chart this week, WiiU has seen a surge in sales this week – this is fact. I don’t understand why the same folk come out of the woodwork to announce the console is fucked. I think by now we know how some users here feel about the console (both ways) can we not all just be happy that Nintendo have shifted some consoles and we at least have three players in the game still? Sure the console may well drop next week but that’s not what we are looking at this week, comparing The Last of Us’ performance on a console that’s pretty much market leader in Japan vs a console with a tiny install base seems more than a little unfair.

The gaming world would be a little boring with just Sony and Microsoft.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

Francis could learn a thing or two from you about stating a point without actually having to insult everyone.

Might as well get used to it as Michael says at 30, there are people that dislike Nintendo moves (That professor zoom account) Sony’s moves (Super and Chunky) And MS’s moves (Backup and PS1 PS2 PS3fanboy)

Not just Nintendo that gets flak here.

#32 1 year ago
  33. dreamcastnews

Yeah he needs to cool his jets I certainly agree.

Edit : also LB, I always find you’re a member who has a fair and balanced way of putting a point across something I find forum chat should be about, kudos to you.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

Thanks thats what i continue to strive for.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Francis O

@Clupula, nobody is homophobic. I called Legendarychump your boyfriend…..how is that homophobic?

@Legendarychump, I didn’t address anybody in my first statement. You mentioned me first and called me a Nintendrone for stating the obvious—-> hella damage control going on in comments section.

@Dreamcastnews, tell the Legendarychump to stop comment stocking me and i’ll “cool it”

#35 1 year ago
  36. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “LOL you haters never cease to amaze me with your stupidity.” You addressed a few people in this comment section.

“You mentioned me first and called me a Nintendrone for stating the obvious.” There is nothing wrong with being Nintendo eccentric but “Nintendo is at the bottom of the charts….everybody says doomed it doesn’t sell.”
    “Nintendo is at the top of the charts…. it sucks it wasn’t enough.” “Nintendo taking the number one software and two hardware is not a bad thing. And when more software comes out it will be right back there at the top”

When your defending Nintendo constantly, praising them and belittling anyone who doesn’t agree with what you said what other conclusion am I supposed to come to. Now not only did you insult people your denying it 30 posts later.

“hella damage control going on in comments section.”
    Just using your words and what I actually said to refute what your saying or accusing me of.

Now if all you said was “Nintendo taking the number one software and two hardware is not a bad thing. And when more software comes out it will be right back there at the top.” or something similar I wouldn’t have said a word and we wouldn’t have dragged this out into an 30-post argument.

#36 1 year ago
  37. dreamcastnews

@35 I understand your frustration with other users but LB actually rarely puts Nintendo down, he isn’t the doom and gloom other users are. I love Nintendo and everything they are trying to do for an otherwise stale video game market, they aren’t interested in fancy graphical effects (although Pikmin looks fantastic) and they aren’t really even competing with Sony or MS.

All manufacturers have their benefits and weaknesses and as LB stated, it isn’t just Ninty that take the flak although they certainly take a beating and I admire you defending them 100% but we also need to keep things on a less personal level since we are all adults and gaming is our hobby there are certainly members I refrain from calling out sometimes because it just isn’t worth it, everyone is going to think differently and both you and I can’t change how people react to Nintendo’s success or lack of.

I understand you getting annoyed with members just adding nothing but ‘Nintendo are screwed and should go 3rd party’ – it adds nothing constructive to the conversation and most of those types of commenters couldn’t run a sweet shop let alone have an insight as to Nintendo’s business just ignore anything that irritates you as it only fans the flame.

#37 1 year ago
  38. monkeygourmet

Clup doesn’t help with such gems as:

“I am willing to bet something like Lightning Returns will do better in its first week.”

Considering Famitsu scored FF13 39/40 even though it was a complete turd of a game, it’s safe to say that a sequel to one of japans most iconic titles will sell pretty well regardless of quality…

I completly understand why Francis gets pissed off, maybe he shouldn’t get so worked up, but hey, that’s his style.

It’s clear to anyone who watches his videos that is his shtick.

After watching Clup eating processed ham out of a packet and rant for abit, I can’t really gauge where he is trying to come from.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Francis O

Legendarychump

- So you call me a Nintendrone for saying people are stupid and damage controlling good numbers?

- Then you say

“overall judgement and you shouldn’t call people stupid or haters for having higher expectations than you.”

Who says this is my overall judgment? I’m just commenting on the freaking article man. They are good numbers. And with 2 days of sales data and almost 100K sold, I’m getting sick of these damage controlling idiots that rush to any slight bit of news that’s positive for Nintendo.

I’ll give my overall judgment when the numbers are out in every region. Pikmin 3 hasn’t launched in Europe or the US yet.

And I’m a Drone for calling them out? LOL!!!!! Right. How about you STFU.

Freaking Clupula is bringing up Final Fantasty and Tales of Xillia… da fak? That’s so much damage control man i have to say something.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    I have already addressed this so i am not repeating myself.

PS: you can’t tell me STFU when i am not speaking, typing big difference.

#40 1 year ago
  41. stretch215

@38 wait, these guys have youtube channels? Links please!

#41 1 year ago
  42. Clupula

@38 – It wasn’t processed ham. It was processed roast beef. Ham is nasty.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Clupula

@40 – Well, in fairness to him, you could be using some sort of dictation program.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

@39 – And I brought up Xillia and Lightning Returns (notice I didn’t bring up a main numbered Final Fantasy, since those will sell in the millions, even in Japan) because one is a moderately successful title, but nothing record breaking. The other is a sequel to a main title, which will not sell anywhere near as much as the main title did, since the sequels seem to have diminishing returns. I am comparing them because you can’t really say that Pikmin 3 is doing well if it doesn’t match the sales of lower tier titles on a competing system.

Now, that said, if you look at my initial post on here, at no point do I say that Nintendo is doomed. What I say is that we will know in a month if this i just a temporary blip on the radar or if it’s the beginning of an upward trend in sales for Nintendo. They have had momentary jumps in sales before. Hell, the 360 used to do that in Japan whenever a JRPG would come out for it.

But unless it is sustained, it doesn’t mean anything. I do not know if it will be sustained and that is what I said I was waiting to see before rendering a verdict.

However, I do believe that it is MORE LIKELY, not definite, but more likely, that a title that will reach a low-tier of success like Lightning Returns will sell more than a title that is supposedly the beginning of a positive swing for the Wii U.

#44 1 year ago