Forza 5 will require day-one download to run

Wednesday, 17th July 2013 01:24 GMT By Phil Owen

As Microsoft has changed their tune regarding the Xbox One’s online requirements, Forza 5 will also not require an internet connection to run. Well, not much, anyway. If you want to play the game, Turn 10 boss Dan Greenwalt said to IGN, you’ll have to connect once and download a bunch of stuff before you can play it. The entire game, it turns out, will not be on the disc.

“So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” Greenwalt said, “and when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.

“That is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

Although you won’t need to connect after that download, Greenwalt says the game will be better if you keep downloading the Drivatars, which will be continuously updated with user data.

Also, he said this strange thing: “We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.” Cool

1. Sang2

Figures as much from a console that was going to be always online.

#1 1 year ago
  2. lexph3re

Wait a second their literally selling 60 bucks of ideas?lol okay that’ll work

#2 1 year ago
  3. tracyis300

This game is going to be so good. I hope they have rally racing or off road racing in it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

I just get a strange feeling about this game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Zohar

Makes sense. Turn 10 was developing this game around the concept that an internet connection on the client end was going to be constant. I’m guessing this won’t be an issue going forward with later XBO titles.

#5 1 year ago
  6. melonbuster1

I was logging on anyway. . Every damn day. Because I play online. So its not a problem. .I never thought about it being one

#6 1 year ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

I agree with melonbuster1. I play online, so my library of games will be in the clouds and not in a drawer like the current generation of games and all the other generation of games before that. On to the future I go.

#7 1 year ago
  8. lexph3re

“Because the future means limiting your resources”

#8 1 year ago
  9. Major Mayhem 70

Nah, just means I’m getting ahead of where you think you won’t be but one day I’ll see you there too. There’s a reason why a growing number of laptops and now desktops aren’t including disk drives. Disks are so yesterday. Like a cassette and 8 track. Lol

#9 1 year ago
  10. Arcnail

Who cares already if cave men can’t play this console.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

PS3 = PS4. Xbox 360 < Xbox 1. Simple mathematics

#11 1 year ago
  12. SlayerGT

@11 I hope you’re right for your sake, if you plan to purchase an XBOne. Because these kinds of stories have “behind schedule” stink all over em.

#12 1 year ago
  13. melonbuster1

But updates and patches can an will be the norm soon.. the way you buy games on your ipad and kindle you will do the same with the xbox1. . No lines no sorry we sold the last copy. No oh damn I just sat on the famn disk. Your attached to the box. The art. Remember when we had manuals in the box. They found out we didn’t read those shits. So now if you want that info go to a sub menu to find out. Don’t be afraid of the monsters under the bed. Because they don’t exist

#13 1 year ago
  14. Joe Musashi

#dealwithit

JM

#14 1 year ago
  15. Tyrantsoul

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

@15 I think you’re giving too much credit. Turn 10 is no stranger to “day one dlc”, “VIP dlc”, and the like. I honestly think the game is only coming this way because its not ready.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Aullah

Haha… I think I see a new trend starting here: Put half of the game on the disc, other half you need to download. Ahh.. hey there… you are online? Good. Lets check your machine while you here… Scanning… Umm, that feels soo good…

#17 1 year ago
  18. MrWaffles

They are obviously doing what EA is doing on mobile games, get the installer from the appstore/playstore then the data from their servers.

Awful practice, and the fact that they’re telling us this as an excuse just shows they’ve been hanging around Microsoft’s PR advisors way too long…

-Waffles

#18 1 year ago
  19. Tatwamasi

“Wait a second their literally selling 60 bucks of ideas?lol okay that’ll work”

What? Yeah, who knows what you’ll download if you buy this game? ‘I bought Forza and it turns out the developers were thinking of kittens when I was thinking of racing cars.”

“I’m sorry but have IQ’s dropped sharply during the current gen?They have basically told you that for full price they will give you part of the game.You cannot even compare this to day one DLC as this game wont work without the content not on disc.

Don’t take this as anti-xbox because its not.But this is plain ridiculous.For those saying this is the future,it won’t be if you don’t stand for it.If you support this and they see people are accepting this non-sense,then they just implemented an extreme form of DRM.”

What’s your IQ then? When you buy a game you buy a license to play a game, not a shiny disc. Buy Forza, do the download and play the game. It’s not difficult, nobody’s ripping you off.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Darksider123

Oh god, my eyes. The bullshit burns them.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Chris8bits

This is so stupid..

#21 1 year ago
  22. ps3fanboy

they cant be bothered to put the 60 dollars game on the disc now. i hope gamers out there will not support this lazy act and buy this game. vote with your wallets and send the message that this is not acceptable!.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

Agree with SlayerGT that this sounds like it’s really being pushed to the wire development wise. Having to download the rest is not a huge issue as you’d expect this to not really be a big problem.

On the one hand it’s good they are pushing for as much content as they can, but if you are a big Forza fan is a release that is clearly being pushed so close the sort of Forza release you want? Or would you have preferred a filler type racer release and have Forza V given the time to bake a little longer in the oven?

Maybe it’ll be like DC where they plan on lots of post launch updates. Evolving game. I would prefer a very well supported and evolving game to a yearly/bi-yearly release.

#23 1 year ago
  24. lexph3re

I’m glad the lot of you find this appealing. But, for those acting as if you are “elevated” into the future behind this scheme, get over yourself. Your not, this type of practice is a common practice and the only difference is the price. Instead of you paying 5-10 bucks for a portal you’ll pay 60 then as they see fit they will charge you for dlc. But the game itself is not the future.

Personally, it’s a shit idea. But if you love it right on, I just hope you don’t love it because MS told you too. That would be sad

#24 1 year ago
  25. MrWaffles

Indeed, those in the “enjoying the advantage of future game distribution platforms” are (happy?) victims of microsoft’s marketing department.

I don’t have anything against games on the cloud… But half-baked products hitting retail make me sad.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Chris8bits

@24 Has the best comment here and makes the most sense. His point is spot-on.

#26 1 year ago
  27. GumGun

@Major Mayhem 70 so what you are saying is that the cloud is superior to a local disk drive? Well my friend, I guess that actually depends how you look it! If you are the type who likes to rely on third parties to keep your data, I can only say that you are short sighted. While cloud is quite useful, is should be seen as an alternative and not a replacement. Your statements are rather childish and you are clearly showing that you are biased as many others who see this as “the future”. I also suggest that consumers start being more critical and not just take in everything that companies like microsoft are trying to so graciously breast feed you. Don’t be fanboys = don’t be suckers … Simple mathematics as you would say! Cheers!

#27 1 year ago
  28. Cobra951

It turns out that you do NOT need to download the extra content to play the game. In order to COMPLETE the game, you will eventually need to grab this content. But the game will function fine offline without it (until the point where the DLC stuff is needed).

#28 1 year ago
  29. SlayerGT

@28 “complete the game”?

So its NOT finished? Wasn’t there a rumor that MS was a bit behind where they wanted to be production-wise? Wonder it it was true. Considering Turn 10 has had free time for a few years..I figured Forza would be more than ready to go. We’ll see I guess. Sounds as though it’ll be pretty poor unless you can get it on the net.

#29 1 year ago
  30. IL DUCE

Hahaha…there is just such a disgusting amount of Sony biased on this site…both from the writers and the commenters…

Keep trolling…

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

Troll elsewhere, you’re in no position to make such made up conspiracy comments.

#31 1 year ago
  32. jags0932

I think this move is yet another reason to commend Turn 10. They would rather do a day 1 content download, and give you a HUGE game, with as much as possible, than cap the game off now and burn on to disc. Why are people upset about this? If they were dicks, they would have just pressed the discs with what they had and called it a day. Turn 10 is not about to screw up the best racing franchise ever made.

#32 1 year ago