Mass Effect 4 will be friendly to newcomers, new BioWare IP uses core KOTOR team

Tuesday, 16th July 2013 11:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 4 will be friendly to both old and new players, according to BioWare Montreal’s studio director Yannick Roy. It also sounds like BioWare’s new IP – which is being developed right now by the core KOTOR team – is making good progress.

OXM spotted a few tasty nuggets from the studio on Twitter, starting with Roy’s response to Mass Effect 4 fan questions.

The first question below refers to Mass Effect’s Genesis ‘catch-up’ system, which relays the events of previous games to players and lets them make choices to help mould their character and world.

Mass Effect’s open-minded approach to sexuality and relationships will not waver it seems, as Roy confirmed fans have nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s new, unannounced IP was confirmed as in-development by Casey Hudson. He confirmed the team is made up of the core Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic developers who have worked at the core of Mass Effect all these years.

Finally, the project’s senior producer Jonathan Warner suggested that the project is moving along nicely:

What we know of Mass Effect 4 is that it will run in Frostbite 2 and it will not star Shepard.

In fact, BioWare Montreal told me last year that it absolutely doesn’t want to simply make Mass Effect 4′s hero ‘Shepard 2′. Check out what hey said about this mysterious character here.

1. mehdidante

as a fan : please change nothing about mass effect , just add more things .

#1 1 year ago
  2. Edo

@1 I agree,add like more colors .

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheBlackHole

KOTOR 3 please.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

I like colours.

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

@3 I think that is likely. EA have purchased the licence to make more shit Star Wars games so this is where I will put my money

#5 1 year ago
  6. Luciferous

We know Bioware are working on a new Star Wars game, now the question is, is this new IP in the SW universe? I would make sense using a KOTOR team for this.

#6 1 year ago
  7. karma

I hope they don’t dumb it down anymore than they already have previous games in this franchise. I really miss the old school BioWare RPG experience.

There are so few games out these days that really engage me the way games used to do, all because devs go out of their way to please people who aren’t really into playing games.

Its one thing to include an easy mode for people new to gaming, but its another thing entirely to turn away the core gaming audience due to streamlining of game mechanics and features.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

@3: Yes, they must do that.

@1: Yes, they must do that.

@Bioware: Please make it as exciting as ME2 at the end.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dark

I’m done with Mass Effect , the game is no longer an RPG
    it’s just a generic TPS.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@10 – Is there a Mass Effect game besides ME1, ME2, and ME3 that I haven’t played? Because I’m wondering which one was the RPG you’re talking about. Mass Effect has ALWAYS been a third person shooter. It just had more dialogue and story than your average third person shooter.

Calling something an “RPG” doesn’t magically make it an RPG when the gameplay mechanics are nothing like an RPG.

I like the Mass Effect series, I’m looking forward to playing the next one, but it is about as much an RPG as Borderlands is an RPG.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

Mass Effect was never an RPG. It was a console POS with generic TPS and shitty dialog since the first game.

#11 1 year ago