Microsoft Surface RT: UK price cut confirmed, prices revealed

Monday, 15th July 2013 16:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft will cut the cost of its Surface RT line of tablets in the UK by 30% later this week, following confirmation that North America will receive a price drop.

Eurogamer reports that the 32GB edition of Surface RT will tumble from £400 to £279, and that the 64GB edition will cost £359.

The price of the Microsoft Surface Pro model remains unaffected however.

We’re still waiting on an official press release from Microsoft, and we’ll update once we do.

You can check up on the North American price drop in our report here.

What do you make of the price-drop? Would you be tempted to get a Surface now? Let us know below.

1. DGOJG

And not a single fuck was given

#1 1 year ago
  2. Eon

#1: was given…about your opinion. ;)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

Yeah I’m seeing a lot of people on Twitter now considering buying one.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MCTJim

and we just bought 5 of these 2 months ago..they work well, but I could have bought more knowing of the price drop…oh well

#4 1 year ago
  5. TrickyAudio

I never knew the thing was £400. Ouch

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 would you recommend the cheapest one to my mate who wants a robust tablet? I have an iPad so it’s not for me, honest.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

5?!!!

What were you doing? Re-tiling your kitchen?! ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. MCTJim

@6 they work quite well if you have a windows environment..they multitask way better than the current batch of Gen 3 iPad we have…the 32 gig edition is what we opted for and they are more than sufficient for our needs. Multitasking without bog down is something we need since we all move from office to office rather quickly. They linked seamlessly with our network and our workstations…anything updated on the tablet, gets updated within 5 secs in our environment. I can recommend the 32 gig model to your friend..but understand they are tablets and not full blown computers. Also the MS office features rock big time

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 That’s great, many thanks for that :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. MCTJim

@9 My pleasure :D

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@8 Haha, you would say that if the MCT in your name means what I think it means :). Seriously though, what’s the software in the app store like on the RT? At this price, it’s a sensible upgrade to the Nexus 7 I currently use and abuse but I’ve got so used to Android that it’s not quite such an easy call to change systems.

Edit: And I realise I could just google “Surface RT vs Nexus 7″ to get all the answers I need but sometimes anecdotal info is better for a product like this.

#11 1 year ago
  12. MCTJim

We have 10 iPads 3 android Nexuses and 5 Surface. We find the Surface multitasks and integrates better into our network without extra software and girations to make apple products work. The office feature on the surface is why we are moving towards Surface as the apple app really stinks. The android based devices are a step above the Apple ones and work quite well, but are missing the familiar interface that we need to drive our business. I love my Droid phone, but they dont compare in terms of functionality of the Surface/Pro. The apps store works similar to the one on the XBox with better overall functionality.

Apple blows for network integration..they are a huge security issue really. Droid is wayyyy better, but with the surface tablets there are no issues as of yet.

#12 1 year ago
  13. backup

Never heard of this shit from MS

Vita killed that Surface (wat a terrible name)

#13 1 year ago
  14. bradk825

I don’t really need a tablet to be honest, but if second screen support ends up being something valuable and not just gimmicky when XB1 comes out, those features + price drop = me tempted.

#14 1 year ago
  15. dreamcastnews

@13 eh?

Vita killed it? Don’t you mean iPad ?

#15 1 year ago
  16. apollyonbob

@14 If you’re referring to Smartlgass, it’s not gimmicky now. If you use the Xbox for anything beside gaming, Smartglass is an incredibly useful feature.

Netflix UI sucks? Who cares – open smartglass, search for show, open season, open episode, click “Play on Xbox” – and bam, it’s playing.

Want to show a funny Youtube video to your friends? 15 seconds, and bam, video is playing. Keyboard input, touching screen support, etc. It’s incredible useful haha.

In terms of games, yeah I really really hope some game devs make good use of it. (An RPG with an actual GM on the tablet and the players on the screen seriously needs to happen.) But it’s definitely useful as is.

#16 1 year ago