Purchase intent for Xbox One and PS4 isn’t as high as it could be in the US – analyst

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 21:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IDC research manager Lewis Ward has said according to a survey conducted by the firm, purchase intent for Xbox One and PS4 isn’t as high as it could be in the US, but GTA 5 should tide consumers over until more games are released for next-gen.

Speaking with GI International, Ward said the US was in the bottom five with consumers likely to buy a new console within the next 12 months.

“We did a survey of 25 countries in 2013 and one the surprising takeaways was that demand for new consoles isn’t shaping up to be particularly strong in the US this holiday season,” he said. “In fact, the US landed in the bottom five when viewed from the perspective of the share of console gamers that indicated they’re likely to buy a new console in the next 12 months.

“That says to me that a lot of gamers are going to stick by their Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, and PS3 at least until the 2014 holiday season, when the game catalog will be a lot bigger and some of the online kinks will have been worked out.

“That also means that games like GTA 5 should have plenty of runway to sell well in the meantime, as long as they deliver the goods. I don’t think social factors like the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial will derail the success of GTA 5 but the game will do doubt catch flak for being too violent and encouraging vigilantes.”

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter and EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich didn’t seem to agree though, when asked by GI International for thoughts on the matter.

Pachter believes that if anything, GTA 5′s lack of availability on next generation consoles could limit its sales in 2014, “but it’s pretty early to be making that call.”

Divnich feels both Xbox One and PS4 will have strong holiday sales as consumers “are clearly excited for the next generation of consoles to launch.”

“I don’t foresee one current generation game, no matter how large it is, impacting the start of the next generation of consoles,” he said. “The launch of the next generation consoles are likely to have an impact on current generation sales this holiday season. It’s a transitional year, it is to be expected, and we anticipate an overall net gain for the industry because of it.

“But September releases are far enough away from the blast radius of the new console launches that September releases shouldn’t feel the squeeze.”

More through the link.

1. Lengendaryboss

True i mean all the games i want are on my PS3: GTA V, MGS V, Watch Dogs and Destiny (and maybe others)
    The only few games that interest me next-gen are Driveclub, Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son And The Order: 1886 in addition to looking into new experiences.

Of course i don’t know when i will have a PS4/Xbox One.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Also looking into getting a 3DS so i will trade in my DS towards it since it is backwards compatible, but i will just be playing three titles Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate And Pokemon X/Y and Black/White 2.

#2 1 year ago
  3. machy

i disagree

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

@ 1fanboy.. god please most of those games aren’t good..ps4 only. . Then wait until next year when they have games. Now xbox1 will have those games and the best online to offer. So that’s a must this year. . But I will have both day 1

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

I respect your opinion about those games, but don’t call me a fanboy. I am not fanboy I don’t take sides.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

Legendarychump

No wonder you defend shooters all day…..damn near all the games your looking forward to involve shooting!

We don’t even know much about The Order 1886….yet your looking forward to it?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Rockin a Jack D

That’s because they are both shit! PC is the best platform.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Even if i hated shooters (i only hate Call Of Duty but unlike you i don’t spam that on every COD thread) i would still call you out on it because what you do is provide stereotypical, sarcastic generalisations. There is no problem with liking shooters games, just like there is no problem liking RPGs, JRPGs, FPS, TPS. Strategy Games, Platformers and action adventures games. Its not a crime.

The Order 1886 the premise and details provided interests me, now note i said “interest me” nowhere did i say “looking forward to it”

MGS 5 a shooter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_V:_The_Phantom_Pain
    GTA 5 a shooter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V
    Watch Dogs a shooter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs

Destiny is the only one out of three you got right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)

Just because it has guns in it does not technically mean it is a shooter, you can look at it that way but it doesn’t make you technically right.

You say all you do in shooters is shoot, i could say all you do in this is jump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU That is stereotypical generalisation. But unlike you i realise it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

…In before ‘debate me’…! :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Diingo

I’m willing to bet Rockstar is going to release GTA5 for next gen.

They would be foolish to pass up on an opportunity like this.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

I wonder why everyone assumes GTA 5 will be launched onto next-gen, it doesn’t seem like what Rockstar would do.

A new open world game is rumoured by Rockstar Toronto, Agent is still in the shadows and Midnight Club has been renewed so that might be their go to games for next-gen and GTA 6 will arrive.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Because Next gen systems use the same architecture as the PC which if they are making the game for the PC then it would be quite easy to just make them for next gen.

#12 1 year ago
  13. _LarZen_

And yet reports are coming in that stores are closing down pre orders as they are selling out. Something tells me this survey was done before E3 and before MS did a 180.

#13 1 year ago
  14. MCTJim

Christmas sales in the states are solid…There is going to be a shortage of systems for those who pre-ordered and who didnt..making the ebay trolls rich by paying top $$ for systems.

I was at the GS locally and was standing on line for the 1st 10 of each launch system…they sold out in store in about 1 hr for each one

Will there be a shortage? Indeed…history repeats itself.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Diingo

Rockstar needs to milk this game all the way until GTA6 is released. That’s going to be about another 5 years at least, releasing GTA5 for Nextgen consoles will help keep the franchise strong.

#15 1 year ago
  16. The_Red

Makes sense for PS4 (Seriously lackluster launch line-up even though the system looks promising) but Xbox One!?

They pretty much did everything they can to woo the US gamers (NFL this, US TV that), not to mention focus on US oriented content like brutal, open world zombie game (The Walking Dead demographic)or brutal semi-historic combat (Spartacus demographic).

#16 1 year ago
  17. naffgeek

I had Pre-orderd PS4 then I saw the GTA V trailer and cancelled it, I also have a massive backlog of games over about 5 systems so I decided to see sense and restrict my inner greedy child.

I can’t really remember any launch of a new console that didn’t offer a better deal games and value wise a year down the line.

Now I just have to fight off all the excitement of new hardware.

#17 1 year ago
  18. ManuOtaku

I will pick both as soon as the arrive in the country, but is not because iam an early adopter by mentality, just by need, becuase in countries with currency conversion rates that decrease the value of the national currency over time on monthly basis, buying something as soon as you can is an investment, because the prices always goes up.

#18 1 year ago