Ninja Theory hiring for new AAA game, Unreal Engine 4 suggested

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 10:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Ninja Theory is on a hiring spree for what appears to be a new triple-a console title that encompasses shooting, melee combat and stealth running on Unreal Engine 4.

The studio tweeted the above message on July 3, and has been followed by a string of job ads, each calling for experience in the triple-a market. Swallow some salt and treat the below as rumour until we know more about this unannounced project.

This senior designer job descriptor calls on someone with, “Experience working on a product featuring shooting, melee combat or stealth mechanics,” and, “Knowledge of the game design development process gained from working on multiple shipped titles, ideally of a recognised AAA standard.”

It also asks for someone with, “Practical experience with 3D game editing tools (e.g. Unreal, CryENGINE, Unity).” Desirable experience for the role include, “Experience with Unreal or Unity,” and “Rudimentary animation skills (Matinee for UE3/UE4 or equivalent),” which suggests the game could run on the latest version of Epic’s engine.

This technical director role excepts someone who can demonstrate, “Innovation and understanding of entire game quality to a AAA standard in all disciplines,” and who can be, “Responsible for technical quality of AAA game and delivering on time the project in question.”

Suggesting the titles is in development for consoles, the advert calls on applicants who have, “Working experience with one or more consoles within the last five years e.g. PS3, Xbox 360,” and whose, “Experience must include at least one AAA project at Technical Director level.”

Finally, this lead character artist role asks for someone who has, “Experience with UDK,” and who has, “At least one AAA game released.”

We’re stumped as to what this can be, although your first guess could be a Devil May Cry sequel, we’re not so sure. Let us know what you think below.

Thanks AGB.

1. OmegaSlayer

What a disgrace! :(

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 What is?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Clupula

@2 – Ninja Theory have amassed a huge amount of bad faith with their handling of DmC. It will take a lot for any project they work on to be seen in a positive light by anyone who isn’t 1) a videogame journalist or 2) a fan of DmC.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

in the end..it took a ninja to rape dante!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

@4 – Well, not so much a ninja, but the theory behind a ninja.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

Now, if it had been Team Ninja, then that would have been a different story…

…plus, there’s a chance they would have kept the difficulty in the game instead of dumbing it down for newcomers, since Team Ninja actually specialize in difficult games while Ninja Theory specialize in…

…uh…pretty cutscenes, I guess?

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Theres no chance that NT will use anything other than Ut ever again, even if it leads to a lesser game.

This is no Blue Castle games here.

Good luck to them and bring back Andy Serkis.

#7 1 year ago
  8. actuallyisnotafox

@3 I actually loved 4, the whole nero and dante thing was great, but yeah they did try and make it more… wider :/

#8 1 year ago
  9. dizzygear

new triple-a console title that encompasses shooting, melee combat and stealth.

Megaman reboot?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@8 – Not really sure where DMC4 was mentioned…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – If it’s the remake of MGS1, I’m going to smash things.

In fact, I might even lose my mind, graft mechanical tentacles to my body, and become a real life Solidus Snake.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@3 so we just write off anything a studio does because people disliked one of its games.

By that logic we should hate almost every publisher out there.

@11 That’s what I thought too at first. Would they actually do it though?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@12 – If it is Ninja Theory doing the MGS1 remake, then I will probably lose the already negative-digit hope I have in humanity.

The only developer I’d have less faith than them in doing a good job would be Double Helix.

#13 1 year ago
  14. absolutezero

Unlike DmC I would guffaw heartily if they tried to do MGS 1.

It would more than likely end up being more like Metal Gear Awesome rather than the actual game.

@12 Spark Interactive

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

@14 – “Hotness! I wanna bang ya! CRAB BATTLE!”

#15 1 year ago
  16. dizzygear

@12 It was more their attitude towards Devil may Cry fans by going out of their way to piss them off even more with the infamous mop scene and than (IMO) failing to deliver a game that stood up to the “classic” DMC games in terms of gameplay.

At least thats my take on the negative bias against Ninja theory

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

Snake redesigned to look like Tameem and voiced by Andy Serkis!

#17 1 year ago
  18. absolutezero

My negative stance is that they have created three very expensive failures. One after another.

Add onto that all three are middle of the road mediocre in almost all respects outside of voice acting and motion capture (well DmC could’nt even get that right) and story and I begin to get slightly confused.

Why are people still willing to give NT the benefit of the doubt? Blind faith?

@17 Serkis would be a better Snake than Jack Bauer sleep walking through his lines.

#18 1 year ago
  19. BrahManDude

i miss the old DMC but im looking forward to the next one and see how they do

#19 1 year ago
  20. actuallyisnotafox

@10 oh no i mean the series in general before the reboot, im just saying i preferd the original dante, and that i really liked 4 :p

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@18 – Hey, you try reciting dialog with a piece of shrapnel in your head after coming out of a coma!

As for Ninja Theory, I don’t get why they are the darlings of the videogames media. I mean, who else gets articles written about them like this? http://www.play-mag.co.uk/opinion/enslaveds-poor-sales-its-all-your-fault/

There are a million innovative, great games that sell poorly and yet, Ninja Theory is who we hear every website telling us to love, sometimes going so far as to insult us when we don’t.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hunam

I am a big Devil May Cry fan (loved 3 and 4) and I loved DMC too. The game was pretty easy on the default settings, but once you get into Son of Sparda mode and then Dante Must Die, it becomes a great game. Sure it has flaws (the whole dark/light thing with baddies, shitty boss battles) but the story and characters were great, it had a nice filthy tone to it and the combat was pretty fun.

Fuck knows why everyone hates it so much. I mean, it’s better than DMC2.

#22 1 year ago
  23. dizzygear

Didn’t Kojima say he wanted to use the Fox engine for a MGS1 remake? I think MGS1 is safe for now.

@21 Bloody hell i can write articles like that for so many games.

Also “The game was advertised up the hoo-ha, appearing all over television, in magazines and plastered over the back of websites both covering video games and things that aren’t video games”.

Not over here it wasn’t. The only reason i knew of Enslaved was because Yathzee did a Zero Punctuation of it and he thought it was mediocre IIRC.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

@23 – Oh, in the States, it was all over the place. Every commercial break, on some channels, there’d be a commercial for its supreme mediocrity.

But you understand exactly what I’m saying! We’re actually being YELLED AT for not buying their games, while other, better games don’t get articles like that.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

@22 – Being better than DMC2 is setting a very low bar of achievement.

That’s like saying someone’s cooking is better than eating a bag of vomit.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Unknown_Gamer

@22 Blah Blah Blah Whatever WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THIS UGLY LOOKING Twillight x Justin Bieber “DONTE” !

I Swear those new fans , Those new fans are driving me crazy and make me throw up with their tastes .

#26 1 year ago
  27. Biscuitpants

sounds kinda like that 1666 game or the game blue castle were hiring for a couple of years ago

#27 1 year ago
  28. YoungZer0

@22: Don’t waste your time, most of them haven’t even rented the game, so their opinion is ass. They are loud-mouthed children. I find it ironic that the same people tell salarta that his opinion doesn’t matter when he talks about Tomb Raider.

They are just like him.

I for one can’t wait for DmC2 by Ninja Theory. An actual sequel that continues the story of the first one. That’s something CAPCOM was never able to pull-off.

Bet they could do wonders with the shitty MGS franchise.

#28 1 year ago
  29. fihar

As a simple action adventure game, DmC was, dare I say, great. It only falls apart when you look at it in the context of the series as a whole.
    I was never a fan of Devil May Cry, I only played 4 and I personally think that DmC was better.

Blame Capcom if you want, NT was only doing what they’re told and they at most succeeded at that.
    Yes, the gameplay was simpler, but again, NT was only doing what they were told.
    Capcom wanted them to make an action adventure game for a wider audience using the Devil May Cry series as a base.
    Look at it from a fresh prespective and DmC was actually good.

I kinda feel bad for NT though, they made one good game, one great game and one controversial game but people only remember them for that one controversial game.
    It’s maddening really. Abrams, by Trekkies standard, butchered the series into a popcorn movie (even if it’s a really good one at that) and seemingly got away with it but one game studio did it and now they’re worse than Hitler.
    I can’t tell whether this is passion or blind fanboyism.

#29 1 year ago
  30. OmegaSlayer

@Dave
    Heavenly Sword was an average game that sold well because at the time PS3 had no real good game.

Enslaved was an average game that didn’t sold because it was choppy to say the least gameplay mechanics wise.

DmC was a game between average and good, and was totally awful as a DevilMayCry game.

Ninja Theory devs have undoubtely some really talented guys working for them, but they don’t work well as a team.
    It would be better that they could get jobs somewhere else and dismiss the developing team they have now.
    Imagine first class ingredients mixed up in a messy recipe.
    That’s what Ninja Theory sadly is.

For those who say DmC is good, please go play Castlevania Lords Of Shadows, a game and reboot that destroys DmC in every conceivable way.

#30 1 year ago
  31. SplatteredHouse

@30 According to you, because DMC is not as good as C:LOS then it should not be considered as good, in its own right?
    How much of a better place in terms of progress we would be, were Heavenly Sword widely recognised as the marker of the “average”. Such quality in that game.

@29: NT also made the delightful Kung Fu Chaos, in a past guise. :)

#31 1 year ago
  32. Clupula

@30 – Plus, the ending of Lords of Shadows felt like a loving tribute to, if not extension of the established Castlevania lore.

DmC goes out of its way to mock the existing series.

#32 1 year ago
  33. SplatteredHouse

@32: Now, you’re comparing a straight-edged, tragedy-laced love story to a comic book action romp. How does the difference in approach the two employ, lead you to the conclusion that Ninja Theory were seeking to demean the existing legacy of Devil May Cry, through the way in which they perceived DmC?

#33 1 year ago
  34. redwood

so let us rephrase this …DMC sucked “for most of the gamers” or else it would have actually sold better.
    that should please everyone.

#34 1 year ago
  35. fihar

This.
    Most people missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of DmC.

Lighten up guys.

#35 1 year ago
  36. dizzygear

@33 By mocking old school Dante in one of its cutscenes?

Emo Dante aside. Imagine the shitstorm if Bamco rebooted Dark Souls into a generic casual easy hack and slash game. Thats basically what NT did with DmC from a gameplay perspective. This was something that did not go over well with fans of the originals.

The classic DMC games (disregarding DMC2) were hard. Like getting your ass kicked a good couple of times on your first playthrough hard. The bosses were something to be feared and yet they never felt cheap. For me this was an important element that made DMC what it was. NT missed the point completely on this with DmC.

#36 1 year ago
  37. SplatteredHouse

@36 DMC4 missed half of the “point” of the series, and it was apparent that the designers were treading water.
    I almost believe that they made the announcement (with the video in which Dante is irritated and strikes over the camera, before walking away) to gauge reaction – but then, it dawned on Cappy Japan that people anticipated a new DMC on the back of that gesture, and they were less than ready to deliver on the expectation.

In any case, a reboot was in order. A fresh approach.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Red Demon

I liked the DmC reboot that was created. I liked it better than DMC4, that game was horrible. For now I really hope they do make a DmC sequel.

#38 1 year ago
  39. YoungZer0

@34: Capcom stated that they were happy with the sales and only they have the actual numbers. In any case, if the numbers actually were too low, then the franchise is dead and those “true” (LAWL) DMC “Fans” killed it.

@36: So please explain to me how new Dante saying that he won’t wear a wig that makes him look like an emo is insulting to old Dante?

Are you aware that Dantes old haircuts made him look emo? Or are you more pissed about the fact that the new Dante reminded you of that?

In any case: Why are you mad at it anyway? It’s a freakin’ fictional person. He doesn’t exist.

If you want a game that really insults the person of Dante, go for DMC2 and 3. Because that’s not the Dante I loved. A shitfaced teenage adrenaline junkie who spouts the most embarrassing one-liners that barely have anything to do with the dialog he’s currently having and a grumpy old men who wants to be Harvey Dent.

But I guess you didn’t care back then, because the developer was japanese.

I guess you people needed to see CAPCOM fail to release a proper DMC game (again) until you decided that it was time for a reboot. Castlevania was only so well received because we saw Konami fuck up the 3D titles multiple times.

And if I remember correctly the game didn’t sell well either, wasn’t anything like the previous Castlevania titles and yet the backlash is nothing compared to the immature behaviour of the DMC Fans.

Boy I do wonder why so many developers don’t take gamers serious.

#39 1 year ago
  40. dizzygear

@37 DMC4 was rushed out of the door to make it as a launch title for PS360 from what i heard and was not that well received either.

After the DMC2 fiasco they went back and looked at what made DMC1 popular and thus we got DMC3 which is still regarded as the best one in the series.
    DMC did not need a reboot. It needed proper effort.

#40 1 year ago
  41. YoungZer0

@40: The fact that i was a launch title is also one of the reasons why it sold so well. The game was sold in bundles with consoles.

As shitty as DMC4 was (couldn’t even be bothered to finish it, they really overdid it with the backtracking), it got Dante right again.

#41 1 year ago
  42. dizzygear

@39 Gee i dunno. NT was a aware that the new Dante was controversial. what do they do? They throw oil on the fire with that cutscene by rubbing it in for both fans and the character designers of the old Dante. Way to show your respect of the source material.

It was unnecessary and looked unprofessional in my opinion.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Red Demon

@39 lol I like you comments and I agree with you, it’s just a game. @42 I agree with you that it was unnecessary to put that cut scene in the game, but I don’t understand how it is unprofessional. I found the game very fun and intense. Well I guess only time will tell if there will be a DmC2 or DMC5. Hopefully I’m hoping for a DmC2.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

But bottom line: they are forever branded as the company that made DmC, which is either a good or a bad thing, depending on how you viewed that game and the games that came before it.

Personally, I would rather the series die than ever see a DmC 2.

Now, a DMC5, on the other hand, I’d welcome with open arms.

#44 1 year ago
  45. YoungZer0

@42: The character designers? Wow, now you’re reaching. Character designers don’t give a shit, it’s not their job to give a shit. It is you who are attached to the character (not that attached apparently, as you seem to be fine with DMC3). CD’s throw a few concepts on paper and the art or game director decides, but even the original director of DMC1 is fine with the new DmC.

Unless the official character designer of Dante states that he has a problem with it you have nothing.

Do you even know the original character designer of Dante?

And you want respect for the source material? How about the fact that nearly every single achievement is named after a one-liner from the previous game. Hell one of the achievements is called “For Tony Redgrave” if you can’t appreciate that as a fan, then you simply aren’t one.

Who knows, maybe the character designer from DMC 1 didn’t like the all leather cowboy from DMC4? Maybe he didn’t like the shitfaced adrenaline junkie from DMC3? Never cared about it back then, but suddenly you do, hm?

I took the scene for what it was: A joke. The developer was addressing people like you and basically telling them to stop being so serious. But I guess you were too busy with your feels.

I for one laughed my ass off.

@43: I rather have DmC2. I’d love to know in which direction the story will go. The ending came full circle. Limbo morphed with our world and Dante could actually open his demon hunter business now. And I’d love to know how Vergil will fit into all of this. This is NT. They care about story so it will probably continue where it left off and not start 4 years into the future, or 10 years into the future with a new protagonist or even 5 years into the past.

I’m not going to buy a DMC5.

Not going back to static cameras, shitty one-liners, no story, garage band music from bands nobody heard of, shallow art-direction and pace-breaking puzzles that are nothing but leftovers from Resident Evil.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Gheritt White

It’s amazing, this thread perfectly separates the real gamers from all the navel-gazing fanboys on this site.

In case you’re wondering, I am all for the new look, modernised Dante and Lara.

#46 10 months ago
  47. TheBlackHole

Ninja Theory have created very well-received games (critically) every time, so they are rightly well respected within the industry.

Sadly, none of these titles have really turned into a hit, for many reasons. I for one would LOVE to see them knock one out of the park.

#47 10 months ago
  48. TheBlackHole

@44 “But bottom line: they are forever branded as the company that made DmC”

Only to the people that gave a shit about the original DMCs. I don’t suspect many gamers (as a %) really care that much.

It’s like movies – most movie goers don’t give a shit about who produced or directed it, they just know if they like the movie. Games are no different.

We’re like the gaming equivalent of Ainitcool news, going on about how important our views are, when really we’re like the crazy drunk in the corner of the room, setting the world to rights while everyone else is too busy just having a good time.

#48 10 months ago
  49. lexph3re

Before I read everyone else’s obvious opinions on DMC. I just want to say I want to see a DmC 2. Beat that game a few months back enjoyed the hell out of it then let my friend see it who also enjoyed the hell out of it and beat it on each difficulty.

part 2 please!

#49 10 months ago
  50. Dragon

Yes, we already know that this game will be bad without even playing since its made from a studio whose last game garnered very positive reviews.

All right then.

@Clupula,
    Aren’t you doing here the same thing that you accuse salarta of doing in Square Enix threads? Only the publisher/developer name has changed.
    You know we agree on a lot of things, but not this one.

#50 10 months ago