Obsidian wants Project Eternity to be an eternal franchise

Friday, 5th July 2013 17:38 GMT By Phil Owen

You might think Project Eternity is just a code name that doesn’t mean anything, but Obsidian’s Chris Avellone told Eurogamer that he’s hoping it can be the beginning of a franchise that will run in perpetuity. Eternally, as it were.

Avellone said they have hopes that Eternity would be successful enough to spawn sequel after sequel, and he outlined the studio’s plan for that eventuality.

“The way we structured the plan is I don’t think there’s ever an instance where it would be put on hold, because as soon as the first game is completed then we’re still working on the expansion,” Avellone said. “And during that time when we’re working on the expansion, we have a good sense for how well Eternity is doing in the marketplace, and if it’s doing well then we will have a sequel going on, and if it’s not, no worries, at least we delivered what the backers were happy with.”

And Avellone actually would be excited if Obsidian were at some point somehow making several of these isometric RPGs at once. “If we had multiple isometric hardcore role-playing games going on at the same time, with the scale of Eternity, that is something I think we’d be very very happy about as a studio, because that was Black Isle.”

How many new $4 million isometric RPGs would you guys be down for playing?

1. GwynbleiddiuM

Show me those who think this is a bad Idea, IMMA ONESHOT EM!

#1 1 year ago
  2. JavelinX

Me not! But it’s tough…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Max Pain

I hope this game turns out good. this and wasteland 2. alot of ppl hasn’t committed themselves to this type of RPGs before.

Shadowrun looks good thought !

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

My worries is the priority Avellone has on this. Boone in New Vegas proves that he’s just not really that great of a writer, and I pretty much have a list of bad things that have happened in and to Obsidian games which he’s responsible for. That makes me very, very wary of this.

To be honest, I wish Obsidian would drop Avellone like a bad habit. They have a stable of great writers, there. Avellone isn’t one of them. Yes, he wrote a lot for Torment, but quality != quantity. To be honest, when it comes to quality, I honestly felt that Mask of the Betrayer was much, much better than Torment, and Avellone had very little involvement in that.

Same for New Vegas, the parts that Avellone wasn’t responsible for were the best.

I think that Obsidian putting Avellone at the forefront as their “star player” is going to be their biggest mistake, really. The man has minor technical writing skills, but all in all he’s very unimaginative.

I’m not saying this will be a bad game. I don’t know for sure either way. I’m just saying that I’m more wary of it and less excited by it than most because of Avellone.

On the topic of New Vegas though, specifically, Avellone was responsible for Boone and Cass. The only reason you’d want Boone in your party is because his stats were overpowered, probably to counterbalance how dull his story was. (And also to deal with how flat and down to hardtacks his character was considering he’d supposedly just lost his wife. It’s weird to have a background that inspires drama when there’s no drama. Boone is a robot.) And Cass? Well… less said the better.

The best characters in the game were the likes of Gannon, Veronica, Raul, and Lily, by far. They were written by Joshua Sawyer, Travis Stout, and Eric Fenstermaker, respectively. They’re good writers.

If you don’t buy into what I’m saying here, take the time to acquaint yourself with these characters in Fallout: New Vegas again, and you’ll see how weak Boone and Cass are when compared to the latter four. Avellone is just not… a very human writer, I suppose he’s a bit of a robot, like Boone. His characters are unrelatable, and his stories are predictable and plodding.

I just… wish they’d give the “Star of Obsidian!” position to someone who truly deserves it. It bugs me that Avellone gets propped up as this so often. It’s more Cult of Popularity bullshit. It’s politics.

Not done.

Sorry.

Okay, Vault 34, which I’ve held up in the past (and still do) as the best example of player choice and consequence. Who was that designed by? Was it maybe… Avellone? No, not it was not! It was designed by a lovely lady named Sydney Wolfram. So where are her props?

So what’s this all about? Why the Avellone fetish? Why put Avellone up a pedestal to polish his feet with words and lip-service? Why? I don’t understand. It bothers me. It bothers me as an amateur writer. I’m not egotistical enough to say I’m better than him, but I’m good enough to recognise when someone else is.

And there are plenty of people at Obsidian who have more talent in their little pinky that Avellone does in his entire body.

Yet… it’s like… Avellone? Cor. Well I Averboner now!

Avellone has become synonymous with Obsidian despite being one of their worst writers. And whilst he gets all of this popularity showered upon him, the better writers of the Obsidian stable are rarely ever mentioned.

I doubt anyone else would understand. But it’s kind of like when you put a lot of work into writing a novel, then someone else’s name is placed on the jacket.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

I have to truly disagree with most of your points and I think you have a different taste when it comes to Avellone. The Boone situation and his level was a really nice touch in FNV. I do agree that other designers and writers did wonderful things for the game but….

Mask of Betrayer better than Torment? I know we all have different opinions but seriously!? Have to agree to ABSOLUTELY disagree on that one :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. MrWaffles

This announcement cheapens Project Eternity a bit, it’s as if they aren’t 100% on board and are already thinking of better ideas.

@4 That moment, when the comment is longer than the article…

#6 1 year ago