Beyond Good & Evil 2 would be “painful” on current-gen

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 00:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Beyond Good & Evil creator Michel Ancel has reiterated that a sequel to the cult-classic adventure will have to be a next-gen affair.

“I think [on current platforms] Beyond Good & Evil 2 was possible, but it’d be painful,” Ancel told Gamereactor.

“It’s always possible to do anything on any kind of console, but sometimes you need to spend your energy not on the optimizations or things like that.

“Now that we have the [new] consoles around the corner we’re working on them. We’re trying to see how we can get the power out of those consoles because there are still things we need to understand on those consoles, but yes, Beyond Good & Evil is a project I always have in mind and I hope good things will come for this project very soon.”

Don’t expect a Wii U version then, I guess.

Now that next-generation consoles are just months away, Ancel’s comments aren’t us unbearable as they were in September 2011.

We were pretty sure Ubisoft would bring Beyond Good & Evil 2 to E3 2013 but our hopes were dashed. In fact, although the project was definitely on the go at one stage, it’s now sort of on Ubisoft’s bucket list rather than in active development.

Quite sensibly, Ubisoft has sworn off even talking about it.

Thanks, NintendoLife.

1. Se_7_eN

So is it safe to say Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the longest running known next gen title in existence?

I think so…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Francis O

The Wii U is still more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Shin’en Confirmed that.

I really think this game will come to Wii U because Michael Ancel said himself “good fit” for Wii U.

However, the biggest determining factor will probably be sales. If the Wii U is selling really good by the time this game is in full production, there will be a Wii U version.

I don’t see Ancel as a flip-flopper, so I don’t see why he would say the Wii U is a “good fit” when he knows the tech inside of the Wii U.

#2 1 year ago
  3. pandulce1

Did you even read the article your link points to?

“Of course the Wii U is not the big leap hardware power-wise but it is a big leap to the Wii”

My cellphone is a big leap compared to the Wii.

“I’m not sure if a much more powerful PS4 will produce much better looking games.”

I think we all know the answer to that.

#3 1 year ago
  4. fearmonkey

@2 – Wow, so a Nintendo based website gets an opinion from a small wii-u developer that the Wii-u is a next gen console. That’s pretty amazing.(even though he says yeah its not all that powerful, but hey its better than the Wii)

Then you again post a link to your own website with a follow up, yay for self promotion.

But yeah, Beyond good and evil 2 would be a great game for Nintendo owners, but what he said here makes me think it has little chance, especially if the Wii-u doesn’t start selling better.

It’s funny how this title sold so poorly at launch on the original Xbox, and I got a new copy less than a month after release for $20.00, and now everybody wants a sequel. I want one, but it amazes me their is such attention on it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

That is truly sad self promoting your site again and trying to defend Wii U. When you link back to your own site to prove your points that is when you lose credibility.

#5 1 year ago