Microsoft might extend free Xbox Gold games offer, is “sorry about dissapointment”

Monday, 1st July 2013 17:48 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft might make its free Xbox Live Gold games offer a permanent event depending on the response it receives during its initial run till 31st December.

Larry “Major Nelson” Hyrb stated this on Reddit, commenting that “Anything is possible,” when asked whether Microsoft has any plans of continuing this offer beyond the initial term of 31st December.  ”We’ll see how the program goes” Hyrb added.

Major Nelson also apologized to Live users for being disappointed over the announcement of Defence Grid as the first free game for the month of July.

“Sorry about the disappointment. Not sure how people started to assume that H3 and AC2 were coming in July. I thought it was pretty clear in the briefing, but I guess not that clear” Hyrb said.

He also promised to make marketing aware of the displeasure of the community over this. “I don’t work in marketing, but I am going to make them aware of this thread.”

Microsoft had announced this scheme during its E3 conference, and only two games were mentioned as part of the statement: Halo 3 and Assassin’s Creed 2. Therefore, people assumed that those would be July’s free Gold games, leading them to be left disappointed.

However, the exact dates for the games being made available as part of this scheme were never mentioned by Microsoft.

Under this scheme, Xbox Gold users will get one free game on the 1st and 16th of each month.

1. CyberMarco

Probably AC2 and Halo 3 will be the top-tier games that will be offered with this promotion.

Also “Anything is possible”, be cautious of what you wish for…

#1 1 year ago
  2. heyvc

Oh my Lord… They can’t seen to make any announcement without having to clarify or apologize later. Sad. They Should Start this scheme with a big game that’s why people assumed it would be one of those. Well. If these games aren’t the Big games for this month, but rather THE BIG GAMES for the Scheme.. Well.. not very good Microsoft… Not at all.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

When they said they are offering full free games to Live subscribers, I smiled a bit and dared to hope… Then they revealed the 2 most useless and dated games to do so and it all went to shit.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

maaan.. just shut up! please… MS you are not helping your self here.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

I kinda feel bad about Defense Grid. It’s a solid game but when AC2 and Halo 3 announcements were made with lukewarm reception, of course reveal of a small indie game as the first free title is gonna get frowned upon. Seriously MS, either get your shit together and do this right or don’t do it at all.

#5 1 year ago
  6. redwood

I dunno how they are trying to compete with psn’s 4 games launch with just 2 games..it just seems too little too late, but still it’s a (little) win for the customers

#6 1 year ago
  7. I8URFOODBRO420

Not to mention it’s 4:30pm EST and the “free game” still isn’t free. I swear Microsoft is TRYING to ruin their reputation with gamers.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Cobra951

I’m sorry, but they led off with a full retail game, and promised other full retail games. Then suddenly they stick a middling arcade game into the mix? Not good form, MS.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Keivz

I admit, I thought that AC2 and Halo 3 would be their first games out on this program based on the press conference. Not that that would sway me to get LIVE though.

I heard the game on offer is actually pretty good, but to compete with sony they should have went big (Halo Reach as a minimum). MS, you poor, pathetic bastards. I almost feel sorry for them.

#9 1 year ago
  10. fearmonkey

Ac2 I got for under $7 used from gamefly, and it’s on steam all the time for $4.99. Halo 3 I got for free as a digital copy for beta testing their CD patch on XBL, and most people that wanted that game by now would already have it.

MS is being MS, here is some cheap XBLA games for free, we wont really give you guys something awesome, we are too cheap to.

#10 1 year ago
  11. hud4995

PS+ is getting BF3 and other games like jet set radio this month, Microsoft is really lacking the quality and number of games being that the 2 games a month is supposed to be competing with it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. jEwdude

Fucking ms is to greedy, after all the money they be sucking from you xbox live members, atleast they should use some of that money to make yall happy

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

Microsofts marketing department is doing a great job selling Playstations these days.

#13 1 year ago
  14. awpage4

The only disappointment is your misspelling of disappointment. Perhaps if the dissatisfied gamers had paid attention to detail, as you should have via proofreading your title, they would have realized that no release dates were confirmed at E3.

#14 1 year ago
  15. daddyjay091724

If microsoft was smart they would put up 4 prime games up every month on facebook or twitter for the community to vote for my first four would be skyrim,black ops,boarderlands,and saints row the 3rd.. every game listed they have in their back pockets anyway and have a HUGE selection of dlc for them and their perspective companies to make money off of.. imo its a win win all around.

#15 1 year ago
  16. daddyjay091724

Adding crap indie/arcade games that should be in the dump rather on someones hard drive isnt a good marketing scheme or a good way to show gradditude.. sony is releasing hit titles for their players bf3 isnt the best game but it sure as hell trumps this pos indie game and fable 3

#16 1 year ago
  17. bradk825

Fable 3 was a great drop, so it makes sense they’d follow it with a lesser game than do 2 big ones in a row. Halo 3 and AC2 may be happening eventually, but not today.

Not sure where the rumour came from. I only read AC2 and Halo 3 on third party sites, never heard anyone from MS say so.

I downloaded a couple of other free games last night but haven’t had a chance to check them out yet. The doritos racing game looks cool.

#17 1 year ago
  18. GtaFreakFromHell

I want Gta San andreas for gold members. or gta 4.

#18 1 year ago
  19. nervedamaged

It’s a scheme alright…

#19 1 year ago
  20. 2021vince

Fable 3 was ass ms be butt f@#$%*n y’all with these old ass games lol and they did make seem like h3 & ac2 was the first free downloads me and a friend even had an argument about how those was gonna compete wit psn giving me saints row three

#20 1 year ago
  21. mje332

why the fuck is everyone bitching and crying, theyre giving us free games either way. Halo 3 and AC2 are like $15 dollars used go buy it if you wanna play it so bad. I like the games they give us cause its something different than what people usually play.

#21 11 months ago