Xbox One third-party headset support in the works, says Microsoft

Friday, 28th June 2013 09:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One doesn’t support current-gen peripherals, much to the dismay of anyone who has laid down £150-plus on Turtle Beaches. Microsoft has now issued a statement to say that it’s currently looking at solutions to third-party headset use on its next-gen console.

Microsoft Australia sent Polygon the following statement on the matter:

“The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console. This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input.

Xbox plans to develop solutions in the near future to allow consumers to connect many brands of wired gaming headsets to the Wireless Controller for gaming and chat audio.”

Microsoft is also looking at an adapter solution that will allow Xbox 360 headsets to work on Xbox One. It followed confirmation that Xbox One consoles will not include headsets.

What do you make of the above? Is Microsoft taking a wrong step by effectively making people buy new peripherals and headsets going into next-gen? Are you pleased it is considering new options? Let us know below.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Same story, so same comment:

There are two issues here.

1. This is obviously a money making exercise. Not including a mic in the box, and not adding a simple 2.5mm jack on the controller somewhere, so that we can use the old headsets.

MS -1.

2. There is actually a pretty cool innovation happening here.

The new X1 controllers output both voice chat and digital game audio at the same time.

That means that there is a simple 3 part system for a full, wire free, Surround sound experience:

Headset -> controller adapter -> controller.

The PS4 controller doesn’t do this (along with 360 and PS3). It only outputs mono voice chat, so the surround sound headset system works like this:

Optical cable + USB cable -> Wifi/infrared receiver -> headset -> audio cable/separate bluetooth connection -> controller.

Sure, MS wins no new friends for the money grabbing angle, but they have tried to add something better to use and innovate to compensate.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Hmmmm…..

#2 10 months ago
  3. ps3fanboy

*flush micro$haft and its greed down the toilets*

#3 10 months ago
  4. neural

Misleading title. Microsoft isn’t working on “third-party peripheral support”, just third party headset support. And no, they aren’t looking into a solution to use your hori fight stick.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 I think you’re twisting what I said about the Hori thing. I’m more making a comment about the amount of money people will have spent on 360 accessories, only have them rendered redundant by the time Xbox One rolls around.

It’s a fucking disgrace if you ask me.

#5 10 months ago
  6. super3001

your lack of vision is f-ing disgrace

this NEW console gen not SAME AS LAST. technology moves on. stupid stuck in the past idiot like you stops innovation because I WANT IT ALL JUST LIKE IT WAS

stupid stupid people now we cant have digital share because OH NO CONSOLE MUST STAY IN PAST with shitty discs

idiots ruin next gen cant believe how short sightened

#6 10 months ago
  7. BrokenIcarus

@1 Are you serious? Mono voice chat? You do realize that both the PS4 and the Xbone headset both only have ONE speaker? That’s why it’s mono, obviously!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

#8 10 months ago
  9. super3001

yes vg247 and fanboys hate the future they are short sighted and hate xbox to be cool

#9 10 months ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

I wasn’t defending you, thats was for you. Your hating on the fact that people want things to remain as they are for the present, has nothing to do with hating the future you annoying troll.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 no, we don’t. I play my 360 more than my PS3 which usually just sits there, gathering dust because more of my friends play 360.

Does that mean I hate PS3 and am a 360 fanboy? No, it doesn’t. They’re both great consoles.

#11 10 months ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

If proprietary doesn’t work well for Sony (and they have a much stronger base in that area) then why-ever did Microsoft think rainbows would sprout from the ground at the notion that they were going that route.
    It’s stupid. That’s my thoughts on it. All of their direction, pretty much. However, this incident’s also reminding us, once again, that Microsoft makes solutions for Microsoft.

If even EA’s coming around to realising that idea’s no good, then what does that say about their new Bestie.

#12 10 months ago
  13. rama26285

I’m really hoping that my Astro A50′s will work with my PS4, that’s all I’m worried about at the moment!

#13 10 months ago
  14. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

It’s literally too late for this 10-year Xboxer. I’m with Sony now, and nothing they say will change that. Ever.

*Never forget*

#14 10 months ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

@8:

You couldn’t be more wrong. The X1 controller outputs full digital Surround Sound audio as well as voice chat through one connection.

Dual Shock 4 is incapable of doing that. The Dual Shock 4 works like the Dual Shock 3, because that’s essentially what it is. The only other things that it has is a mono headset plug and a touch pad.

No force feedback triggers, no direct full Surround Sound audio, etc.

Let’s get this straight. The X1 controller is a proper next gen controller with proper next gen features.

Yet obviously, some people just don’t seem to want next gen, they just want the same old console with better graphics.

They complain about always online, so features get ripped out. Now they’re complaining about this. If they were on the X1 design team, we probably would have actually ended up with the first generation xbox again. With just more RAM and a bigger CPU.

People are pretty naively thinking that MS just changed the connection for the sake of changing it, with no added benefit.

That’s pretty ridiculous.

I actually agree with super3001. Some people go on like they’d love to have the same old stuff with the same old problems from now until 2065.

Then they start complaining about wanting something new…

‘Ooohhh… it’s different! I want the same! Burn the new stuff, because it’s not like the old stuff!’

And spending money has nothing to do with it either, before anyone bothers to bring that up.

Because if MS actually did bother to put all of the software and hardware BC into the system that people are whinging about, the console would probably end up being twice the price, anyway…

#15 10 months ago
  16. TheKeyPit

I got the Turtlebeach XP400 for my Xbox 360. It is connected via USB cable to the USB port of the console and connected via Digital Optical Cable to my HDTV(not Xbox 360, because of the older console model). Shouldn’t my XP400 still work with the Xbox One? I don’t see the problem for my case.

#16 10 months ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

^ Yeah, it should work absolutely fine for listening.

The only problem is for voice chat, because you can no longer plug the mic directly into the X1 controller.

However, MS have said that they’re working on an adapter, so that you should be able to do that sooner or later.

But if you don’t use your mic, anyway, and only use the headset for SP games and movies, it should be fine without the adapter.

#17 10 months ago
  18. TheKeyPit

@G1GAHURTZ Thanks for the answer. I never used it for voice chat. Only bought it for the games and movies as you stated.

#18 10 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

No problem…

#19 10 months ago
  20. MCTJim

I hope they release it with the system. Would be nice to have my PX5′s work with the new console.

#20 10 months ago
  21. OlderGamer

Really is sad, considering how much investment people have in their current 360 stuff. Love how console makers reinvent the wheel each new generation. There is Zero reason the 360 headsets couldn’t have been made to work..or for that matter any old set off the shelf.

#21 10 months ago
  22. stretch215

@16 +100. You’re making too much sense!

#22 10 months ago
  23. bradk825

What’s most surprising to me is anyone expecting peripherals to work on the next gen. Historically how often does that happen?

MS is planning some new and different things for their controllers and needed a new port, third parties are working on adapters to let you use old headsets, that makes sense to me.

Expecting an old controller or headset to work on the next gen on it’s onwn, that doesn’t make much sense to me. I had a DVD remote for my original Xbox, couldn’t use that on Xbox 360 could I?

It seems lately all these things that would normally be non-issues are being thrown back at Microsoft by those still stung by MS trying to move toward digital. They did it all wrong, I agree, but games on disc are going to be a dead industry soon enough regardless. That’s coming one way or another. But your hurt feelings remain, and you need to fire with something now that the DRM is gone, so it’s peripherals, and no unnecessary headset, and not backwards compatible, which everyone should have expected in the first place. I also just caught an article making a big deal of the fact that Kinect won’t work on your PC. Why would it? Who actually expected it to?

I guess what gets me the most is how PS4 is skating by on these same issues and no one is paying attention to it. They are not backwards compatible either for example. They marketed their product by slamming competitors instead of selling the features of their own, even to the point of lying (went on Jimmy Fallon and claimed you could not trade or sell games on XB1) and now all they’ve got is a souped up PS3 with a 4 stamped on it, and we’re supposed to be ok with the fact that they are doing really nothing new, because they didn’t try to go digital or do anything to help with the revenue problems devs are having that forces them to make fewer games with lower budgets. Where’s all the hate in the forums for trying to sells us the status quo as “next-gen?”

So I have my Beaches and I plan to either get an adapter for them or replace them, which I assumed from the get-go I’d have to do, because they were built for the current generation, and I’m not upset about it. That’s the reality of progress. In other news, my floppy discs don’t work on my new computer. Oh dear. Now how will I run MS DOS?

#23 10 months ago
  24. Llewelyn_MT

There will be a Kinect release for the PC soon, so you’d expect them to be the same. Think again.

Consoles are just vacuum pumps for money, that’s why.

#24 10 months ago
  25. bleachedhawaiian

@23 You made some valid points but missed the mark on quite a few.

If this was not about making money they would have allowed the chat/sound to go through the usb as well like it does on a PC or chat on the PS3.

If you want your floppy “disks” to work install a floppy drive.

The PS4 doesn’t use a proprietary connection so they can siphon more money out of you.

But in the end as long as it works and works well with an adapter that is enough for me. If it didn’t work with an adapter I would simply not buy the x1 and only get the PS4, because I did not buy these A50s to have them sit around collecting dust.

As a side note I am no fanboy of either system, typically I play 360 while my PS3 gathers dust. It does annoy me however that while using my a50s on 360 I have to use a wire connected to the controller vs a completely wireless experience. Something I feel the next gen should have 100% included. The days of wired chat should be over you don’t see people with car phones anymore and how often do you use your land line.

#25 9 months ago