Half-Life 3 ARG talk rolls on after Surgeon Simulator DLC discovery

Friday, 28th June 2013 09:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Half-Life 3 chatter has resumed recently with people looking far and wide for clues as to when the absent threequel will break cover. Gamers have been racking their brains over a mysterious note found in Surgeon Simulator 2013′s Team Fortress 2 DLC, and have somehow linked it to the game.

UPDATE: I chucked Bossa Studios head Henrique Olifiers an email to see what he made of this madness, and he replied.

“Yep, this was an interesting one to wake up to this morning, I give you that. The easter-egg is a fundamental part of an upcoming July update of the game, but nothing to do with a Valve title, I’m afraid.”

So there we go, nothing to do with Half-Life 3, sadly.

ORIGINAL STORY: The Sixth Axis reports that this weird note with Korean text can be found taped to an object on the Surgeon Simulator desk. The text reads “The time is”, and the dots are said to indicate the planets in our solar system.

Now, through logic we don’t quite understand – because let’s be honest here – people can find logic in anything when they want something like Half-Life 3 so bad, this post on RLLMUK seems to have worked the diagram to spell out September 26, 2013.

Steam’s 10th birthday occurs 13 days before that, so make of this what you will.

What do you think? Total bollocks, or a sly ploy by Gabe and pals?

1. Samoan Spider

There are 6 r’s in the headline. 6 divided by (HL)2 = HL3 confirmed!

Edit: Now I’ve had a chance to read their logic on the forum about the movements of Saturn in relation to Venus and Mercury, I find it hard to connect this to HL3. Wishful thinking. Doesn’t stop me hoping though!

#1 10 months ago
  2. Pytox

But valve can’t count to 3??? :P

#2 10 months ago
  3. Yoshi

‘Also, Valve’s 13-year old shooter Richochet just got three new achievements. Yep, three.’

If anything this is something to think about as Gabe always used Richichet instead of saying HL3.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fihar

Oh, boy.
    You can’t blame people for being passionate I guess.

#4 10 months ago
  5. deadstoned

I guess its certainly possible, the logic as often as it does with ARGs makes some sense. Sounds like something may well be going on if they’re not all outright denying stuff. But I’m not getting my hopes up again, been too disappointed in the past with previous whispers.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT IN THE STORY VALVE! Y U CLIFFHANGER?! xD

#5 10 months ago
  6. MidlifeAxe

@1 Well they did have a long time to plan it… hm…

#6 10 months ago
  7. Pytox

maybe on the 10 year anniversary new trailer??? and announcement
    that day would be epic and makes the internet crash

#7 10 months ago
  8. Fin

Hm.

Normally I’d treat this as bullshit – but wasn’t there a “bug” in a HL2 update that was in Korean?

#8 10 months ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@5 To be fair they don’t need to deny anything. We know they all want to do HL3 and we know that Valve mostly does what the hell it wants, internally as individuals as well as collectively. But then this could just be a Valve dev with a wicked sense of humour trolling us (no different to rocking HL3 tshirts in front of people)

#9 10 months ago
  10. davidmccue

The dots are not planets they are the dots on a clock, hence “the time is”

#10 10 months ago
  11. silkvg247

I haven’t even bothered to play ep1 or ep2 yet.. should I? I found HL2 a bit dull after HL1 honestly.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Edo

“So there we go,nothing to do with Half-Life 3, sadly.”5 years ago I said “I ‘ll get used to it”…but NOPE :( :) .

#12 10 months ago