Xbox 360 UK hits 8.4M: to over-take Wii – Chart-Track

Thursday, 27th June 2013 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 360 will out-sell the Wii – which is the UK’s best-selling current-gen console – in a matter of says, according to score keepers Chart-Track. It’s still 1.5 million units behind PS2 however, but is gaining ground fast.

Speaking with MCV, Chart-Track confirmed that Microsoft has sold 8.4 million Xbox 360 consoles in the UK alone, and director of Xbox and entertainment Harvey Eagle (yes that’s his actual name) added in a statement, “This is an historic milestone and our sincere thanks goes to each and every person that has bought and enjoyed Xbox 360 over the past eight years.

“As you saw at E3 earlier this month, we announced a new Xbox 360 form factor and we are committed to ensuring Xbox 360 remains the best place to play games, connect with friends and enjoy your entertainment. You’ll see great exclusive content coming not only to Xbox 360, but also to Xbox One later this year.”

The Xbox 360 is approaching the PS2′s total of 10 million consoles sold in the UK. Can the new, slimmer Xbox 360 model help it beat Sony’s record? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. stealth

Who cares, UK isnt europe, nor does it matter once once comes out sales will stop

#1 10 months ago
  2. redwood

what are ps3′ numbers?

#2 10 months ago
  3. Ekona

It does matter, because it’s hugely significant in the terms of the history of gaming. The PS2 and Wii were quite rightly always seen as massive game changers and hugely popular, and that the 360 is that close behind either of them is genuinely quite surprising to me.

I’d have thought it would be miles behind both.

#3 10 months ago
  4. retronaut

1. The Wii was released a YEAR LATER than the 360. 2. Everyone I know (including myself) bought between two and five 360s to replace faulty hardware. Not impressed with Microsofts flag waving at all.

#4 10 months ago
  5. ps3fanboy

the rrod leprosy is still claiming its victims i see. the chavs must be on their 50th x360 or something by now.

#5 10 months ago
  6. redwood

@4 so you paid for those faulty 360′s ? well that kinda sucks :\

#6 10 months ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

360 outselling the Wii and probably the PS2?

Who’d a thunk it?

#7 10 months ago
  8. retronaut

@6. I currently own two 360s but have had two die in the past. Its a friend of mine thats on their fifth. I still have my launch ps3 but sold the Wii a few years back. Seriously, you only have to look to see just how many people suffered the RROD years and went through more than a handful of machines.

#8 10 months ago
  9. ps3fanboy

@7 G1GANOOBZ, outsell the ps2, lol… never gonna happen only chavs like you thunk that.

#9 10 months ago
  10. graffik

I guess the real question for xbox fans is how many of those late 360 adopters are going to want to pay out again 6 months down the road to update to xbone?

#10 10 months ago
  11. orakaa

Oh, yeah… RROD… or how to turn a massive failure into a marketing argument/victory, with all the people who bought several 360s…

I also have a lot of friends here who bought at least one other 360 after their first one RROD’d, and for some, several other ones. In fact amongst 20-30 360 users I know, not one of them still has his first original 360. they all had to replace them. I stopped at my first RROD as it happened “just after” the initial warranty stopped.
    They’re arrogant and don’t care about consumers. They’ve also proved it those last weeks (they only backtracked because they saw they would loose money if they didn’t do so). This is one of the reason why I won’t buy an Xbox.

#11 10 months ago
  12. dravenkaze

Stupid chavs

#12 10 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

@10 people were still buying PS2s well into the PS3s prime. Not everyone is a day one adopter.

#13 10 months ago
  14. The_Red

I honestly don’t get Nintendo. They had a super hit AND a new “it” brand with Wii. Instead of keeping the successful run alive, they stopped fully supporting it for years, leading to 1-2 years of “dead-zone” for Wii that ruined the brand. Then, they released a new console with the brand that they killed.

Unlike them, MS did a much better job of keeping 360′s momentum for years and Xbone debacle aside, they kept their system healthy, relevant and popular until the new one comes out (Xbone) rather then letting it remain near dead for 3 years before introducing Wii HD.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Ekona

The fact that people kept on buying the 360 despite the RROD issues says more in positive terms about the console than it does negative ones, or at least how it’s been viewed by the public and taken to heart.

Yup, I’ve had to replace mine a few times, but then I also replaced my PS3 too.

#15 10 months ago
  16. graffik

@13 very true and people are still buying PS2 consoles, at least in Japan anyway. Wonder if anyone is still buying the original xbox?

#16 10 months ago
  17. Tech-N9ne

Yea, I bought 7 RROD 360s, you bought 5 RROD 360s and he bought 100 RROD 360s.

Yep, typical VG247 commentators, full of a bunch of lying ass fanboys.

#17 10 months ago
  18. orakaa

@15 : yeah, you’re right, we should all praise Microsoft for their success and for making people to pay multiple times for a console in order to keep playing the games they’ve bought

#18 10 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@16:

Who cares about the original xbox?

LOL! Calm down, man. Are you upset by this news…?

#19 10 months ago
  20. retronaut

@17 Yeah that’s right. Like I said, along with other machines I still own two 360s. How does that make me or anyone else that has replaced crap hardware a fanboy?. I happen to enjoy gaming and so no brand owns my wallet. Saying that the Xbox one will be the first console I won’t be buying day of launch.Trust in early Microsoft hardware is one reason, PS4 offering me more another. I’ll get the xb1 once its receives its first price drop and hardware is proven stable.

#20 10 months ago
  21. OrbitMonkey

MS & Xbots getting all wet that they might be about to outsell a console they never took seriously?

What happened to all the “Wii not next-gen” or “Wii nufin but a gimmick”?

Bless, they took it seriously after-all :)

#21 10 months ago
  22. Ekona

@18: Not entirely sure that’s remotely what I said, but thanks for playing.

I cannot be the only person here who is genuinely surprised the 360 is even close to the Wii or PS2 in terms of lifetime figures in the UK? Not excited, not wet, just surprised.

#22 10 months ago
  23. graffik

@19 not even a little, personally i think competition between consoles is a good thing for us the consumer as it eventually will mean lower prices more choice and better quality hardware and software. I was just curious to know if anyone was still buying the original xbox, or even if there was anyone out there strong enough to lift one on their own LOL

#23 10 months ago
  24. NiceFellow

Pretty good going. I doubt it’s going to overtake PS2 though, sales must be a lot lower now than peak demand and with XBone and PS4 launching I expect 360 sales to nosedive in UK.

I’d be curious to see the PS3 numbers to get an idea of ratio between the two – last number I remember seeing on some Nintendo sales numbers put it at about 61% 360 and 39% PS3 – which is good for 360 but not too bad for PS3 either given 360 had 18 more months on sales plus two holiday periods.

I’m not sure Nintendo could have kept the Wii relevant, but the other lesson here is they should at least have tried. The Wii outsold the 360 and while it’s amazing the 360 has come back to overtake it half the win is with MS for supporting the console and half the loss is Nintendo’s for allowing Wii to sink like a stone.

Both the 360 and PS3 seem to have fairly decent legs and I’m sure if Nintendo had kept good games coming for longer they could have sold even more Wii’s and software than they did.

#24 10 months ago
  25. reask

I reckon it could overtake the 2.
    With another xmas coming a lot of folks will most likely pick one up as they may introduce a price drop.

Nothing scientific but I imagine the 360 has plenty of life in it yet as will the PS3.

#25 10 months ago
  26. hitnrun

@1: If you’re reading this in English, it matters. The 360′s sales among Continentals and Japanese is a nice feather for Sony fanboys but largely irrelevant to English-speaking gamers. Aside from Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Nintendo franchises, you (statistically speaking, maybe not literally you) are playing games by English speakers targeted at the Anglosphere.

None of this matters any longer as both new consoles are a total reset without so much as backwards compatibility. I’m certainly going to take advantage of the opportunity to lose Microsoft, not because of DRM but because of that increasingly commercial cell-phone GUI. But when it did matter, the 360 sold the most units. The “USA Xbox Wal-Mart Mountain Dew LOL” nonsense was ridiculous. If you play games in English, the only market that matters to you is the English-speaking one, outside of those few Japanese-made titles that get robust globalization support.

@4: Maybe you should have, you know, taken advantage of the 3 year warranty.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Joe Anderson

The PS3 is the best selling console in the World on a monthly basis, funny how that’s never mentioned because world = more than just the UK and America.

#27 10 months ago
  28. TheBlackHole

@15 +1

#28 10 months ago
  29. Maabren

@27 +1

As we look at global sale PS3 at 120 000, Xbox 360 at 80 000 and Wii U at 20 000 hardware sold a week. Totally PS3 sold 77,8 million, Xbox 360 sold 77,6 million, Wii sold 99,6 million and struggeling Wii U sold 3,1 million. Thats fact that concern how many consol sale they may get in the end.

#29 10 months ago
  30. mokkeyrg2

xbox had rrod and ps2 was faulty as well so many people had to replace there ps2s so dont dig at the 360 even ps3s was faulty , so many xbox/microsoft haters on the internet tut tut

#30 10 months ago
  31. monkeygourmet

For the record,

I’ve had 3 x 360′s. one original 20gb (fixed twice before warrenty ran out), an elite I sold broken after the DVD crapped out and finally a 250gb Slim.

My girlfriend has gone through 2 or 3, I can’t remember.

Most friends have burnt through 2 or so, and have settled with the slim which seems pretty solid so far.

I’m also on my second PS3 Phat because my first had the YLOD.

Also, my 2nd Wii U.

Sony have been the worse company to deal with, by far.

#31 10 months ago
  32. ysleiro

Everyone is quick to bash Kinect when the tech hasn’t even been given a chance.

I for one use it daily (voice control of my video and music apps).

I was talking with a friend yesterday and I said “wouldn’t it be cool if they used the new Kinect’s ability to detect finger positions in a Naruto game. You would weave signs and complete sequences for certain parts of the battle.”

If anybody knows Naruto and what I mean by weaving signs you would immediately at least see some potential in an idea as the one I’ve described. Obviously somebody would have to figure it out and iron out the kinks.

#32 10 months ago
  33. ps3fanboy

if you have one of the first x360. that shipped in 2005 without hdmi,wifi adapter, and with a 4gb memory card or 20gb hd… and it still work, LOL… like that ever gonna happen.

#33 10 months ago
  34. UuBuU

so many go through multiple xboxs or ps3s yet still have the audacity to say that console gaming is cheaper and better value than pc gaming

#34 10 months ago
  35. monkeygourmet

I think they mean, the initial outlay.

Consoles are almost always cheaper on paper, first off.

Then game prices, peripheral prices etc… Jack up the price over time.

They probably even out to be very similar in cost over time.

#35 10 months ago
  36. gameon

I bought my Xbox 360 back in 2007, had it returned to MS 3 times (2 times RROD, 1 time another failure). It’s not a reliable machine, still it was fixed costless under warrantee and it’s still running today. And yes it’s the old one, without wifi and a 20gb harddrive.
    Microsoft extended the warrantee on RROD to 3 years, so I don’t see how it is possible that some people have had more than 3 Xboxes. 2005 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 2014.

#36 10 months ago