Xbox One backlash was a ‘useful source’ for PS4 strategy, says Yoshida

Wednesday, 26th June 2013 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4′s inner workings and policies were not created solely to counter Microsoft’s Xbox One DRM and used restrictions, SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has said, but he has admitted that the torrent of negative reactions from fans has proved a ‘useful source’ of what not to do.

In an interview featured in this week’s Famitsu, Yoshida commented on the negative reactions Xbox One was getting online, “There were lots of people who gave their opinions on that issue to my Twitter account before E3.

“It’s not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source.”

SCE Japan Asia president Hiroshi Kawano added, “As of now, I feel like we’re getting a very positive response. For this system, we made a list of what people expected from us, debating over each point, with user feedback forming the main basis for the list.

“The software makers are also telling us that they feel like they really make some fun stuff with it. A new platform always provides the basis for new forms of play, so I’d like to see it connect to a revitalization of the marketplace.”

Another issue is the $100 price gap between Xbox One and PS4, although Sony has yet to announce price details for Japan. Kawano added that gamers in the country should look forward to an official announcement in due course.

“What I can say now is that we will have another full announcement for Japan,” he said. “However, I think everyone in Japan already has a solid image of the potential price range. We had assorted opinions within our group about the price, but in the end, what works for us isn’t as important as what will get us user support. From that viewpoint, this time the U.S. and European teams were convinced to set it to that price.”

What did you make of the PS4 event at E3? Did it successfully counter Microsoft’s Xbox One event, or now that Microsoft has dropped its DRM restrictions is the next-gen playing field level once more? Let us know below.

Thanks Polygon.

1. Pytox

in b4 fanboys :p

#1 1 year ago
  2. mithrandir

I don’t trust MS, and I long didn’t trust Sony either. However, both have now whown their true color, and I don’t like the way MS thinks they can handle the gaming industry.

I think Sony has long had a vision of out-performing MS based on raw power, but made a wrong gamble with the PS3, which had more power, but a too exotic architecture. They payed for that for nearly seven years, tailing in sales compared to MS.

Today, I think MS has made the wrong decision, and while they made their 180 pretty early in the next-gen lifecycle, it will take them a long time to recover from this one. So, first round is definitely for Sony, and MS has had a count until 8, but it’s not a knock-out.

#2 1 year ago
  3. redwood

in b4 msbots!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kanok

Sony prepare to announcement DRM as well, but MS did it before them. This is simple plan.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, personally I don’t trust Sony to do the right thing by the customers, but I do think that their strategy is to win us over with a good and easy to understand service, and allow us to transition into the – let’s face it – inevitable digital future at our own pace.

In other words, they know that we’ll be where MS wanted to put us on day one soon enough, and are content to keep us happy until then, when we’re two generations deep in trophies and friends lists and have no possible way to escape their clutches. 😄

So for now, I’m patiently waiting for Sony to do a Boromir on me. Until then, I’ll stick with Sony…

Of course, I’m planning on getting a Valve box when it comes out, and if I haven’t moved on to the PS4 from the PS3 by then, maybe I’ll go that way.

#5 1 year ago
  6. JavelinX

After tried the DS4 and the OS and after MS dropped the DRM, I can say that X1 is my next gen console 100%. Sony is always two steps back, at the end of the next gen PS4 will have a great value and then I will buy it. Like ps3 today.

#6 1 year ago
  7. silkvg247

(removed)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gheritt White

Looking forward to jumping MS’ ship and getting a PS4 in 2014.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Francis O

Still haven’t seen any “next-gen” games from MS or Sony. All of the games have the same gameplay with better slightly better graphics. In some cases the gameplay takes steps back (Ryse)

Sony and MS should focus on making better experiences instead of focusing on the PR battle day in and day out. It’s getting old.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Animeboy413

Wow, So Sony admits they used negative PR to win E3

#10 1 year ago
  11. Animeboy413

@4, Plsystation Fanboys are too blind to see that

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

Why don’t you also include Nintendo in that? They are a year ahead and haven’t shown anything “next-gen” yet either have they?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

@12 For the sake of not starting a huge flame war….I left them out. But it you want my honest opinion.

Bayonetta 2 and X are both true next gen games. Graphics + gameplay wise. Bayonetta ran in 1080p 60 FPS and is the sequel to the greatest action game of all time in my opinion. What Platinum Games showed off at E3 was nothing short of stunning, gameplay wise.

Monolith Soft’s X does so many things, in a wide open world. The gameplay looks revolutionary. Combine that with the scale and scope. X is the true next gen RPG we’ve all been waiting for.

I also think Final Fantasy 15 is a true next gen game because of the gameplay and scale. However, it doesn’t have the flying mechs like X has.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

“For the sake of not starting a huge flame war … I left them out.”

Sounds like you left them out because you think they are showing “next-gen” by applying different rules to them. That’s how you do start a huge flame war isn’t it?

It sounds a lot like games I like = next gen, but other titles not so much. Upgrade to 1080p/60fps for a game you like = next gen but for a game you don’t fancy it becomes “slightly better graphics”.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

That’s the problem. Bayonetta 2 is probably my fave game from E3 but it was NOT a next-gen game. Nothing about it felt like something that I couldn’t have done on PS3 or 360. Same goes for PS4 and X1. The same goes for X. It looks freaking awesome and probably better than most PS4 / X1 games but again, nothing that screams next-gen / new to me the same way you are criticizing Sony and MS.

If anything, I’d say Tearaway is the next gen for handhelds. That’s it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. xAKUM3TSUx

I dont care what Sony’s PR strategy was or what it was going to be before E3. They didn’t announce anything about PS4 policies until E3 so I’m not going to assume they were going to follow MS. Especially when they revealed their console whole months before X1.

This being said, I dont trust MS as much as I used to. Being a MS and 360 fan, I should NEVER have to say that trust is an issue. But I’m not a fanboy and the way MS treated me as a gamer before changing their shitty DRM policies makes me sick. I’m happy they corrected the issue so others can enjoy their games but now they’re doing exactly what Sony did in 06′: playing catch up.

Although I doubt they “really” care, Sony has won me over just for caring more about the gamer. Plus buying PS4 comes with benefits and Sony IMO is finally ahead of MS this time around. So yeah PS4 day one for me…and as a 360 fan I’m sorry to say, I’ll get X1 when they lower the price and it has more games like Titanfall.

#16 1 year ago
  17. ps3fanboy

Well, we all know that the xbone isn’t the greatest, at the moment the xbots are worrying about it’s future. The xbone will be micro$hafts demise in the gaming business, that i am sure of. Because the xbone is bad for many reasons, but with the announcement of the PS4. There will be no problem for gamers in the future. We will just have to let the xbots do their grief. When they are ready to accept their mighty micro$hafts xbone fall, everything will be as before. The memory of the the xbone will be in the past with what was not meant to be.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

#18 1 year ago
  19. Arcnail

Biggest thing I’m taking from this whole console vs console thing is that Sony has better PR then Microsoft.

#19 1 year ago
  20. wildBoar

Microsoft willingly handed Sony their asses on a platter.. And fanboys were wildly urging Sony to play the angle they did. Not reassuring their fans would’ve been a huge mistake and part of doing that was kicking Microsoft in the balls. Simple as that, Micro’s fault. Sony did what they had to.

#20 1 year ago
  21. fearmonkey

Sony was arrogant and got humbled, they returned with a different outlook and attitude. MS started out hungry and did right by their supporters, and slowly stopped listening and did what MS always does, get on top and then act like they can do whatever they want. The next gen hasnt even started and they have been humbled, I hope they learn their lessons from this or they will lose the next gen.

I am so happy that consumers didnt take whatever MS thought they could dish out, MS backtracking was wonderful to see.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

@The_Red that is the thing tho, nothing I have seen from anywhere screams next gen to me. I agree with Francis on this one. I see very little to get excited about. Everything is a little crisper, little shinier, little nicer. There is no Battle Arena Toshinden(PSx) or Ridge Racer(PSx) here, moments from games that could NOT be done on the previous gen of hardware. Games that made you really feel like something special was happening (gamewise).

I just ain’t feeling the next gen yet.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Maabren

Excited about PS4, price and games. :)

#23 1 year ago