Sony declined to bundle PS4 camera in order to best Xbox One price – report

Wednesday, 26th June 2013 20:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sources close to IGN have said the PlayStation 4 camera was nixed a bundled add-on with every PS4 in order to knock $100 off the original price of $499. Which is the same price as Xbox One.

Sony only informed its retail partners the camera would not be included, but never specified a lower price point in order not to tip off Microsoft before its own reveal, according to the report.

This goes against what various Sony execs have previously said, particularly Shuhei Yoshida.

IGN notes that it may have ‘beaten’ Microsoft by making the camera optional, but it has also diminished consumer adoption of the product, not to mention creating an inconsistent software support.

More through the link.

1. Lengendaryboss

Well at least its optional, if the consumer wants it they can buy it simple.

2. pukem0n

well yeah, but if it is optional, third party developers wont do shit and support it with anything meaningful.

which system is better is left to the consumer.
    i would rather tell Microsoft to bring out a kinect-less SKU for 399 as well, but thats just my opinion.

3. KineticCalvaria

@2, exactly the PS camera will be completely redundant again, unlike the Kinect which will have support in nearly every game.

Although I will probably use neither anyway, just as my current Kinect is only used for voice control on films.

4. The_Red

” but never specified a lower price point in order not to tip off Microsoft before its own reveal”
    That is a rather smart move and if true, then it shows how Sony has learned to fighting for consumer attention (PS1) rather than demand it with bold but empty promises (PS3, Xbox One).

5. tezzer1985

If a game has some sort of Kinect support, then so would the PS4 version have camera support, for those who want it.

Kinect has no games that use the technology…that Fantasia game is also on the 360…so I’m yet to see a game utilise the unique features of the new Xbox.

6. wildBoar

Uhu… This doesn’t seem too legit. It retails for about 59$. And they never try to squeeze a profit out of console sales, so I don’t see where 40$ came from.

7. tezzer1985

@2 funny thing is Kinect is in every box, and developers are not supporting it, or doing anything meaning full…that’s properly why Sony took it out, which I applaud, cause even if you buy it after, it’s still cheaper then the Xbox One

8. salarta

@3: Probably because support for the Kinect is now essentially an unspoken requirement.

9. wildBoar

@7 Exactly! And when IGN is the site doing the reporting, I wouln’t really put much weight to it.

10. hitnrun

@3: For one thing, just reading “Kinect will have support in nearly every game” made me mildly nauseous.

For another, I doubt it. As Sony learned the hard way, devs make the game for the less difficult system and port it over, so the only things you’re getting for including extra features that don’t scale from the competitor are shaky ports and the privilege of being $100 more expensive.

You’d think Microsoft would have learned that too, given that they benefited tremendously from it not too long ago.

11. _LarZen_

I would rather it was bundled with every PS4, as it would have much much bigger support. As it is now it will just be a camera a few will buy.

I did not like the features and games for Kinect on X360, but if Kinect V2 is as good as demonstrated I can see it being a good thing to have on every XBO.

12. melonbuster1

Same sony. . Doing things out of fear. . Because if they are the same price Microsoft would mop the floor with them. . Cowards

13. Stardog

The Kinect is redundant even if it comes with the console. There is not one game worth owning and there never will be.

Sony have never had any success with motion gaming, so it’s a good idea for them to just drop it.

14. SlayerGT

@12 I disagree. They’re in it to win back the people they know won’t use it (COD, Madden, Fifa a.k.a the majority). They want the landslide, not the “marginally more sales than XBOne”.

15. SlayerGT

@13 I agree. I don’t believe they put it in there for games mainly.

Edit: I would say they’ll even pull it to become cheaper, seeing as they’re on the fence, but I have my own theories as to way it HAS to be connected.

16. laughing-gravy

Ha ha ! this is obviously bulls**t. How can a camera that only costs $59 add $100 to the cost of a console? Some basic research before printing crap like that may be in order.

17. Lengendaryboss

It covers marketing and distribution costs in addition R&D costs.

18. laughing-gravy

@17 Wrong the cost for marketing and R&D are already factored into the retail price, try harder! EDIT: The camera only costs $59 at retail!

19. Lengendaryboss

^ Misread your comment.

20. ps3fanboy

sony give customers choice, microsofts don’t… it’s a fact!

21. Units

Last minute panic station

22. SlayerGT

@21 Following MS’s suit huh? Oh wait..

23. reask

Good god how the mighty have fallen.
    I am disapointed with Sony more and more as the next gen looms.

They seem to want to be the consumers friend to just spite MS.
    Were not doing shit because MS are doing shit so it isn’t cool.
    What happened to the market leaders?
    No headset with 1 yet Sony gave feck all with there 600 bucks PS3 launch.
    Oh wait I forgot what they said.
    Get a second job. lmao.

If this is the best they can do prior to launch its just sad really.

24. Animeboy413

Love PS3 Fanboy he sure does shake up message boards

25. laughing-gravy

@23 Ha ha you make me laugh.

26. Animeboy413

@23, Who cares Sony has fallen, same happen with Nintendo. but they responded well lso please leave them alone as a company. I don’t want to see Google or Apple trying to buy them one day…

27. laughing-gravy

So they saved me £80 on an unnecessary add on, how dare they!

28. fearmonkey

I could care less about that camera, and to be honest the PS4′s camera isnt as nice as the new Kinect. If the camera’s features and motion control games are important to you, if you like being scanned in a game, yadda yadda, great…get an Xbone.

If you want a console, a controller, and the most powerful box, get a PS4.

29. KineticCalvaria

@8, exactly, therefore Kinect will obviously take off better, in terms of usage.

@10, you can guarantee there will be some small form of Kinect intergration in the majority of games.

30. Lloytron

Kinect/PS Eye bundling is an interesting topic.

Bundling a peripheral in every box means that everyone that owns that console has one. Remember the Mega Drive shipped with a three button d-pad. A six button one was available but few games really made the most of it, because developers had to cater for people that didn’t have that peripheral – so the benefit was minimial.

With a new peripheral that is bundled with a console – take Wii motion controller – these can be used well if developers can guarantee their customer has one, and its not optional.

But Kinect is a different matter. Its a peripheral that works for some and not for others depending on physical conditions. So developers can’t guarantee that it will always work well.

For me, current Kinect only works for me at night, if I’m the only one in the room. PS Eye works on occasion but usually I’m wrestling it so SEE THE DAMN CARD or whatever. So for me this not being mandatory is a good thing.

31. laughing-gravy

Kinect or other cameras add nothing to the game experience. If you want to issue voice commands then just use a headset, If you want to wave your arms about like a tit then use a camera.

32. stretch215

Lol. The kinect is one of the reasons I’m buying an xbox first. My kids can’t get enough of that shit.

33. Fin

Yeah I don’t think the camera is $100 of a difference if it’s retailing for $60…

Nothing to stop Sony selling a SKU with the camera down the line (or at launch).

34. laughing-gravy

@32 Yeah shit’s the right word.

35. Maabren

I guess PS4 with camera(PS4Eye) bundle between $429-$449 as PS4Eye retail at $59. And as Scott Lowe point out PS4 with PS4Eye at $499 price it all seems like BS. This may be the value argument MS need, but still seems like BS. Sony gave us a choise, Deal with it!

36. Djoenz

Thats funny. I read on a dutch site that Sony decided this 2 weeks prior to the reveal. That means either before press conference or e3.

37. Digital Bamboo

Smart. I have no interest in the camera, nor anywhere to put it. I’ll spend that $100 on games.

38. Djoenz

Correction ignore my last comment. Article is identical lol.