Wright praises “responsive” Microsoft’s DRM backtrack

Tuesday, 25th June 2013 23:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sim City creator and Maxis founder Will Wright has said Microsoft’s licensing policies reversal is indicative of a broader, positive trend towards getting gamers involved in shaping their experiences.

“It was interesting watching the Microsoft thing. I thought it was very impressive how responsive Microsoft was to that,” Wright said in a conversation with CNN.

“That part I think is great because that’s something that I’ve always believed in – getting the players very involved not just after the game ships, but even before and try to listen to them.”

Wright said he believes games are trending towards an area of particular interest to him – “baseline communities of people playing the game and doing a lot of cool stuff peer-to-peer, whether it’s content sharing or competition or forming social connections”.

“I tend to think of the fan base, especially the hardcore fan base, as co-developers. These people with a passion for your project are going to go out and sell your game to other people and pull other people in,” he said.

“The more they feel like they have some ownership over the process and they’re not just kind of customers, the better. To see a company like Microsoft actually sit back, listen, and understand the fans and respond to them is impressive. For a company that size to be that responsive is great. These companies are the ones that obviously keep us in business and allow us to make games.”

That said, Wright acknowledged that the noisy 5% aren’t always representative of the other 95% of a designer’s potential player base, and said that understanding the kind of feedback the Internet provides is important.

Wright’s latest project is yet another new start up called Syntertainment; we’re not super sure what it’s up to but suspect its a continuation of the work that Hivemind was pursuing before it was stymied by legal troubles.



  1. ps3fanboy

    mister simcity here should concentrate on his own “responsive” to gamers of his latest simcity. because the complains fell on deaf hears. instead of removing the drm, he shoveled a 25 dollar dlc down gamers throats as fast he could. in the hopes they would shut up…

    #1 2 years ago
  2. Hellhound30x

    I like what this man said!
    PS3fanboy shouldn’t you graduate to PS4Fanboy?

    #2 2 years ago
  3. Brenna Hillier

    He created the franchise in 1989. He had absolutely nothing to do with the 2013 title.

    #3 2 years ago
  4. dkpunk

    @1 Actually Will didn’t have anything to do with the new Sim City. He left Maxis and EA a while ago. He has some pretty harsh things to say about the launch too. here

    #4 2 years ago
  5. salarta

    @2: We actually have a ps4fanboy lurking around here somewhere. Saw him post once. It didn’t seem like the same person though.

    And yeah, what Brenna said.

    Though I disagree with Wright’s assertion about Microsoft being among the companies that keep the industry in business for listening to consumers. That’s a label far more appropriate to Sony at the moment, as Sony listened first. Microsoft only does so begrudgingly, to keep competitive with Sony.

    #5 2 years ago
  6. The Tempest

    @1 Fail whale.

    @5, I just hope both companies attempt to move the industry forward more, I was intrigued by some of Microsoft’s new policies. Obviously, we’ll never get to see these implemented now, had they fleshed them out some more with actual information they could have become something awesome.

    #6 2 years ago
  7. DSB

    He was responsible for Spore though! Bang!

    No one is innocent. No one.

    #7 2 years ago
  8. ps3fanboy

    @7 exactly!

    #8 2 years ago
  9. PS4FANB0Y

    Did someone ask for me?

    #9 2 years ago

Comments are now closed on this article.