Frostbite 3 feature video displays the power of the engine

Monday, 24th June 2013 17:36 GMT By Debabrata Nath

DICE has released a new video about its new shiny next-gen engine, Frostbite 3. The video explains the various new features that the engine carries and how it’s all been used to make its upcoming game Battlefield 4 better and bigger than ever before. It features plenty of gameplay footage from the game while developers explain how awesome the new engine is in the background. A pretty cool video to watch, you can view it after the break.

1. Francis O

It’s shiny next-gen engine that runs on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Phoenixblight

All engines are built with the idea of scalability. Everyone does this. You would be a moron not to do this.

#2 10 months ago
  3. CyberMarco

I want to see if the building destruction (like the skyscraper falling in the MP game) is “scripted” or not. Will its debris be always at the same place every time it collapse or not? If so, dynamic destruction my ass.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Aullah

@3 Its sure scripted. It will collapse every time the same way. You can bet on that.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Bloobat

So I’m guessing one of the MP maps will feature a damn breaking judging by him stating in the video ‘everything from a skyscraper collapsing to a damn breaking’ sounds great!

Also think I saw an C-130 or maybe some other sort of transport plane!

Bring on the PS4 and BF4!

#5 10 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@1: I guess that’s a bad thing if you don’t think it through.

The alternative is amazing though, I think we call it Crysis 1. The game no one could play at max when it was released.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

@1 Yeah the one thing left out: http://www.arwrath.com/content/2/22366.gif

#7 10 months ago
  8. Kyle Jackson

Hopefully we can fly jets into skyscrapers, also imagine playing B4 in an Oculus Rift headset.

#8 10 months ago
  9. thyho

Amazing engine but a very generic game like BF4 is a waste of resources
    But the next Mirrors edge and Mass Effect FB3 will be great.

#9 10 months ago
  10. CPC_RedDawn

Whilst I will enjoy BF4 on my PC. What I really want from all these high powered triple A engines is a platformer, A Puzzle game, just imagine what they could do with something like a Mario type game in 2.5D? With the destruction, imagine what they could do with a Super Metroid type 2.5D side-scrolling platformer. When you don’t have 64 players to render, A.I to calculate. You just have the player model, one scene, a few enemies, and some puzzles. I would literally have a heart attack if Nintendo got to play with something like Frostbite 3, Cryengine 3, IDTech5, or Unreal 4. But sadly their hardware just isn’t up to scratch to create something like this.

#10 10 months ago
  11. spazman

How the fuck did this company worm it’s way into the gamer’s psyche as being a tour de force in game warfare? Fucked if I’d know. The tom clancy’s ghost recon, advanced warfighter – not that new shit, had soooo much promise but they seriously let us down, and now these bastards stole a lead. Destructible environments – here’s tip, don’t make it so dark that I can’t fucking see who I’m supposed to be firing at! And the new game looks like the last one – jesus.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

I suppose you are posing a rhetorical question but alright: dropping online passes and sticking with it and revealing Mirror Edge, What else?

#12 10 months ago
  13. spazman

@ 12
    Life scale field of view, open world, AI companion platoon, big, fat, as clear as day enemies, I can see so clealy, I can get an indication whether or not they’re going to rush me, flank me, or dig in. An environment that I can use at will, rooftops, blow holes in interior walls to escape, backtrack, flank out of. No corridors leading to open spaces where I get picked off, no bottleneck corners where I am pinned down. Reactive communications to other platoons, air support, tank support. When I’m kicking ass I want to see a whole brigade behind me pushing forward. I want to feel the tide turning in my favour or not. And if I see a vantage point I want to exploit, I want to parachute onto it, or hitch a ride on a tank to get there. Engagement with the enemy should be more drawn out, building waves of contact which vary in levels of tactical intensity. I get it, DICE doesn’t want me to catch my breath, go, go, go… But only because it’s cost effective to do so.

#13 10 months ago
  14. powerbuoy

This does look gorgeous and I can’t wait to play BF4, but it’s so annoying that the destruction is entirely hard-coded (like @4 pointed out). Would absolutely _love_ to see Red Faction’s level of destruction in BF.

#14 10 months ago
  15. k1llabeast

Looks amazing. Beautiful graphics and crazy phyisics, can’t wait!

#15 10 months ago
  16. DSB

The water and tree stuff is pretty damn neat.

#16 10 months ago