Deadpool launch trailer is all about bang, babes and mayhem

Monday, 24th June 2013 20:53 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Activision’s released the launch trailer for its upcoming antihero game Deadpool and it lives up to the over the top craziness that the game’s main protagonist is known for. Featuring a lot of humor, gameplay and our hero Deadpool doing all kind of crazy stuff, the trailer’s really fun to watch. The High Moon studios developed game releases later today for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Did we mention it features dubstep? You better watch it below.

1. ps3fanboy

me wants *throw money at screen* :D

2. YoungZer0

This was kind of nuts. Might actually give this one a try.

3. DSB

Awesome trailer, but what little gameplay they showed didn’t look too promising.

4. spazman

@ 3
    Yes, it’s all we need, another dud.

5. YoungZer0

@3: Youtube already has a few walkthroughs. Indeed the gameplay is rather generic.

6. Tavarish

That is Deadpool all right :D

7. CyberMarco

Sorry for the noob question, but what’s all the fuss about Deadpool?

8. YoungZer0

@7: He’s basically the Internet.

9. TheWulf

It’s High Moon Studios. Anyone who doesn’t bet on them is going to be proven wrong, as they have been in the past. It’s worthwhile to look into who’s developing a game and their development history when looking at a game prerelease. TotalBiscuit does this because it’s wise to, and you can often learn a lot about how good a game might be with that.

Studios tend to not have huge amounts of variance in regards to whether you’ll like their stuff or not. Obsidian is a good example — I’ve invariably loved their stuff. But I digress.

The point here is that High Moon Studios are responsible for this, just as they were responsible for the two best Transformers games we’ve been graced with, full stop. These are the guys who, for the first time ever, managed to create a Transformers game which was genuinely fun and faithful to the core material. These were the guys who had that incredible scene with Metroplex that made most recent triple-A games look a bit shit by comparison.

If this turns out to be bad, I’ll eat my hat.

I could understand feeling that way if the developer was just a throaway hire like Beenox, but when you have High Moon Studios hired to make a game for you, they deserve a little more faith. Furthermore, it’s silly to say that there haven’t been a lot of gameplay videos, because there have. They’re right there on Youtube. People are just too lazy to search.

And what has been shown of the gameplay thus far looks pretty great to me, more than the usual triple-A drivel, that’s for sure. This might actually be a spectacle fighter that knows how to laugh at itself. Rather than “I AM SO SERIOUS BECAUSE THE KIDS THINK I’M A KEWL BADASS.” which sums up most spectacle fighters to this point. I’m looking at you, Kratos.

10. spazman

@ 7
    just the smallest hint, that maybe, fingers crossed, the offbeat humour of this game might translate into some serious fun, and not at all frustrating, static, boring, did I mention boring? Yes I did, linear, and most all, didn’t I do this shit before in another game and hated it, gameplay.

11. TheWulf

He’s not, not really. I guess that’s the impression you get though if your only exposure to him is tumblr memes.

12. YoungZer0

@11: I read a lot of Deadpool comics.

@9: Highmoon Studios also made Transformers: Dark of the Moon. As mentioned before, there is plenty of walkthrough footage on Youtube already. The gameplay looks very bland and generic.

13. DuckOfDestiny