Pikmin 3 is “ultimate version” of the original game, Miyamoto says

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 11:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Pikmin 3 will include all of the features Shigeru Miyamoto wasn’t able to get into the GameCube original due to technical limitations and because the man has a very massive imagination. Regardless, the Wii U romp will see all of those ideas brought back into one charming package of win.

Speaking with Kotaku, Miyamoto explained the situation, “In a sense I almost feel sorry for the people who played Pikmin 1.

“What I really feel like is that, in Pikmin 3, we’ve finally been able to include all of the elements that I wanted to include in Pikmin 1. Often times, when you talk about movies, people say, oh the first one was the best… I feel Pikmin 3 has become sort of the ultimate version of Pikmin 1 if we’d had more power.

“…With Pikmin 1 certainly we had the ideal we were striving for. With that game, I think we ended up with a basic ruleset of the game that was a little bit too strict and confining, the 30-day time limit in particular… from that sense it was difficult for people to get into that game, particularly if they were novice gamers.. And, I think the other challenge we had with Pikmin 1 was that people would want to go back and replay the game, but partially because of the limits—the time limit—people just felt it was a bit too much to go back and replay that again.

“And, with Pikmin 2, we wanted to focus on really trying to ease the gameplay to a certain degree so that it was easier for people to get into and play so we polished the Pikmin idea a bit but really only focused on how to make it easier to play.

“Whereas with Pikmin 3 we’ve really taken it and taken that Pikmin 1 ideal and really tried to bring that to life in a way that encourages replayability all throughout the game.”

Miyamoto feels bad for people who played the first Pikmin, but tell us dear readers, did you like it regardless? What about Pikmin 3, does it look good?

If you want more, why not check out Miyamoto demonstrating the game’s new ‘Bingo Battle’ multiplayer mode here?

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. RandomTiger

“the 30-day time limit in particular…”

this was a good thing in my case, I liked the time pressure, gave the game an urgency.

“In a sense I almost feel sorry for the people who played Pikmin 1.”

Thats a really odd thing to say.

#1 1 year ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

Moar powaaaaarrr!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hirmetrium

I can see why the time limit is devastating – it was unforgiving. You almost needed two save files – one to screw up in and find all the parts, and the other to have those “perfect days” where you can do a run, lose few Pikmin and get plenty of parts. That strikes me as too much work.

Of course, its been years since I’ve played it and I never managed to finish it because I was borrowing a friends copy. But it’s still one of those game experiences I reflect upon fondly.

EDIT: Cripes, reflecting on the GCN era brings back some good memories. So many great games… seems so long ago. Mario Sunshine, F-Zero, Double dash… and failed experiments like Battalion Wars.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

Got all the treasure and didn’t lose a single pikmin! XD I think that 2 was much more difficult than 1. In 1, if you’re efficient with your time and don’t get too greedy, you can easily finish way before the 30 days is over. Some of the underground levels n 2 though… Brutal!

Pikmin 3 certainly has my interest. Pikmin with wings is a big thing for me. But what about the Samos and the albinos, and the mushroom pikmin from Pikmin 1? Are they gone now? Weird…

#4 1 year ago
  5. elem187

I never played any Pikmin game,,, the GameCube era I was in my 20′s doing the whole “Nintendo is for babies” shtick…. Now I eagerly await new Ninty games…. And Pikmin looks amazingly fun. I hope it can grab me like Starcraft did.

#5 1 year ago
  6. rickw1983

Pikmin 3 is ruined by the damn time constraint. Not all gamers have the ability to multitask they way you have to in order to play this frustrating game. IT WOULD be a great game for so MANY MORE gamers IF they enabled options on the time limit. Either that or enable difficulty levels for the gamers who are too challenged by the time limit. I get up to day 5 and I just can not complete everything in the short time limit, and so are other gamers I know. The strict time limit takes all the fun out of the game and results in sheer frustration for too many gamers. Give us OPTIONS don’t shackle us.

#6 11 months ago
  7. polygem

i think it’s a fun game, i am halfway through, but i agree with you…i wish there would be an option to play without the timer on your neck. yeah, it can be stressful. that’s why i’m only halfway through yet. i enjoy the game but i often don’t feel like booting it because i’m exhausted from the day and would prefer a more relaxed gaming experience. well, it is what it is. i play in shorter bursts. 2 or 3 days in a sitting and then that’s it. that does the trick for me.

#7 11 months ago