Thief: E3 screens show stealth, arrows and melee brutality

Friday, 14th June 2013 11:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief has received a new batch of E3 screens care of Eidos Montreal, and they show Garrett about to clobber some poor bobby round the napper with a weighted club. Duck mate!

We’ve also got the Thief E3 trailer right here.

Thanks OPM.

1. Hunam

How did this go down at E3, no one really seemed to like it much.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 yeah, the press has been quite quiet on the matter. I’ll need to ask the team when they get back from LA.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

There are tons of videos on youtube with Thief gameplay.
    It’s fucking horrible and for mainstream audience.

Now I understand why first Thief games were not released on consoles. This is so horrible. Now it’s an action game with stealth elements.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

That looked awful…

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

Now you steal something from the enemy with mini game… *facepalm*.

#5 1 year ago
  6. grizzlycake

What the fuck was that…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@3 I has a sad after seeing that :(. It looks like a bit of fun, but it’s not the Thief game I was looking for

#7 1 year ago
  8. Max Payne

I also didn’t found any Wolfenstein demo ?

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

This is hardly surprising. I’ve pointed out two things before that had me very worried about this:

- Garrett is not only young, now, but he looks like he was designed by a 14 year old kid with no imagination. A kid who still thinks that ninjas are the coolest thing ever.

- They don’t know the difference between “goth” and “gothic,” they said the game wouldn’t be “gothic,” then went on to talk about “goth” aesthetics. Anyone who’d not understand that distinction should not be making a Thief game.

- They were dropping the Steampunk aesthetic in favour of a grimdark, emo, metal-ridden Dishonored rip-off. It desperately wants to be Dishonored 1.5, which is nothing like Thief.

- There is no proper leaning or sneaky handling of doors.

As I’ve often said… they aren’t the people to make a Thief game. It’s IP rape to even call this unfaithful thing a Thief game. I’m all for innovation, but this is the opposite of innovation, this is dropping the uniqueness of the Thief series in favour of making it common prolefeed. They can do that with a new IP all they like… but why do it to Thief, of all things? Why?

:I

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, too: We need Frictional Games to do a spiritual successor to Thief. They have all the right stuff to actually pull it off. They understand atmosphere and they could know that whilst a Thief game is atmospheric, it doesn’t need to be grimdark. Their engine allows for the slow opening of doors, peeking, and so on.

I’m no longer interested in Thief. But I want an indie studio to make the new game that isn’t Thief that I’ll care about instead.

#9 1 year ago