Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live countries listed

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 19:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One’s Xbox Live network will only work in certain countries at launch, according to a disclaimer on the console’s official pre-order page.

Per the page, Xbox Live on the new system will only work in the following countries:

Australia
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Also, Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in the specified geographic regions at present as well. You will notice Japan isn’t listed, but it will launch in the country in 2014 as reported previously.

Those who also activate a day one Xbox Live Gold 12 month membership will get the Shadow Jago character for Killer Instinct, for use only with Xbox One to be released in November 2013. The character is available exclusively with Day One Xbox Live Gold until February 1, 2014 but may be available elsewhere later.

This information should help you when deciding when to place your order for the console. Also, it will require at least a 720p capable TV.

Thanks ShogunDarius via NeoGAF. [image]

1. Lengendaryboss

I really can’t think of the words to describe this.

2. grizzlycake

Damn… that’s not a really large list is it?

3. Bloobat

Wow, so instead of stabbing themselves they have now taken a nuke, swallowed it and then detonated it…. This is beyond stupid

Just handing Sony those unsupported markets….

EDIT: Japan and Hong Kong unsupported, both big markets….stupid, just stupid.

4. melonbuster1

@1 change. .embrace it.. or get out of the way

5. Aullah

And what happenes if someone buys an Xbone in a country not listed?

6. hives

Huh, I thought only Poland is being ignored, but I see whole Central Europe is in the same situation.

Well, big win for PS4 here :P

7. melonbuster1

@3 they know sony can’t produce enough systems

8. Lengendaryboss

Still curious as to why that thing is still allowed to comment.

9. dizzygear

The Xbone takes region locking to a whole new level.

10. Lengendaryboss

@Dizzy
    Exclusively For Xbox One :D

11. fps_d0minat0r

Theres almost 200 countries in the world and the best they can do is 21?
    And that doesnt even include the worlds largest democracy.

When the internet began, it opened peoples minds to endless possibilities, but I bet being left with a console that doesnt work after 24 hours wasnt one of them.

12. CyberMarco

lol, Greece is not supported? So the system wont launch there! Good job MS, keep up the good work!

13. Sylrissa

getting sick of the fanboys in these comments of any system at this point.

This seems to me like Xbox just wants to focus on those countries, and forget the rest for the time being, until later down the road, and I don’t agree with that plan.

With the PS4 and it’s games being region free, I can see this really working in Sony’s favor

14. Bloobat

@8 but the question is will they support these countries by the time PS4 releases in those territories, I mean will they invest in the server architecture needed if the market is not big enough to warrant it?

15. OlderGamer

Does this mean G1GA can’t use X1?

16. Junior

I created an account just to point out how stupid releasing xbox1 in Brasil is. The internet in the country is piss poor, Games and systems are sold 2-3x their american value.

The whole video game industry there revolves around being able to share games with friends and buying/selling used games.

I can see how well this will end.

17. Cobra951

@4: I’d tell you to go fuck yourself, but I don’t need to. You’re already going to do that come November.

18. Gnosis

Just a few questions to clarify the situation: that 24h online check…it’s tied to XBLA, isn’t it? So, does this mean the XO will only be released in 21 countries?

19. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t think this means anything.

Manu lives in Venezuela, and plays on XBL, but it’s not on the current list.

Can anyone else add to this theory? Do you live in a country that’s not on the list, but can still play on XBL?

20. deathm00n

@17 This guy speaks the truth,you only forgot the little detail that the Xbox One price was announced here. Brace yourselves… $1100 american dollars, R$2200 brazillian Reais.

21. Gekidami

Theres most likely a difference between Live on 360 and Live on One. Obviously Live wont be ready for the XB1 everywhere from launch.

Seems that might be the case, like Japan isnt listed but the console is coming out only in 2014 there anyway. Either way, if the console does come out in an unlisted country, you wont be able to buy any games for it.

22. misieque

Damn. Magellan should have been given a job at Microsoft.

23. Sylrissa

@Gnosis

Seeing how the Xbone is region locked, and you must be verified with their servers once every 24 hours, I would imagine that’s exactly what it means, while I can see people importing the PS4 (assuming they can get their hands on one) since it’s region free and you can play it entirely offline.

24. G1GAHURTZ

I play with people from Kuwait all the time, too, but that’s not on the current list.

25. Sylrissa

They should remove the region lock, so that people who are interested in buying the Xbone can, choice is a nice thing to have.

26. CyberMarco

Where is G1GA from?

27. Gekidami

Wait G1GA, you mean you already have an Xbox One?!

28. G1GAHURTZ

London.

But I live in Saudi Arabia.

29. polygem

“Xbox One: people are imagining negative ‘always-online’ outcomes, says Mattrick”

30. Eddie Rodrigues

No Japan? No respect.

31. G1GAHURTZ

@28:

Lolwut?

This is the current list of XBL supported countries.

On this page, it explicitly states: “Below is the list of countries/regions where the LIVE service is supported. Game features that require the LIVE service are only available in these countries/regions. If your country/region is not on the list, please check back with us soon”

Yet I’ve just given examples of people from two different countries that are not on the list, but play on XBL.

This is probably just a localisation thing, rather than the inability to function thing that you wish it was.

32. OnionPowder

@27 I feel like a creep, but I am also interested in the answer for this LOL.

EDIT: I am now satisfied.

33. OlderGamer

Thing is G1GA what I wonder, and I truly hope it works out for you, is if the 24hr check in will IP block based on regions.

34. salarta

Oh god.

Oh man.

It’s like Microsoft WANTS to fail. They make all this big talk about how, in their magical fantasy version of how the world and the internet works and will work in the future, there’s just about no way that any person could conceivably not have a consistent broadband connection regularly. But then they turn around and basically prove how utterly stupid and wrong they are on this count by limiting territories of release to a mere 21 in the whole world, leaving out important ones that would actually come closest to fitting their model like Japan.

35. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

Hahaha!

I’m somehow sceptical of your sincerity…

36. mkotechno

Xbox Done.

37. Gekidami

And? Are they playing on XB1?

38. JavelinX

Hey Poland Deal with it… XD This cannot be true

39. Ireland Michael

“Here’s a 12 month PS+ subscription. Over the next year we will provide you with a few dozen free videos games across all your consoles (some of which are conpletely new or very recent) as well as discounts on *all* our sales.”

“Here’s a 12 month Xbox Live subscription. Have a free costume for a free character in a shitty free-to-play beat-em-up.”

40. G1GAHURTZ

Listen, sorry to rain on your parade, guys, but

1. My account is a UK account anyway (I think)

2. There’s no IP locking that a VPN wouldn’t fix in a matter of seconds.

Which you’ll be disappointed to hear, I’m sure…

41. Eddie Rodrigues

I just realized Portugal isn’t there. MS is just full of twats.

I’m Brazilian but I have relatives in Portugal, Japan and South Africa, they will not be able to enjoy XBL on the new console which is a shame since some had decided to grab it.

42. OlderGamer

Ouch lol. That hurts. I might not like the hardware, but I have no ill will towards the gamer man. Just like last gen, I played XB360 lots more then Wii or PS3. I didn’t hate the gamers. Didn’t even hate Sony. I just didn’t like the PS3 hardware.

I have my PS4 already preordered tho ;)

But really, if you can’t play Titanfall on X1, that is gonna stink for you. Even I want to give that game a whurl, and will be on PC.

43. G1GAHURTZ

Like I said, a VPN can get around any potential block.

If not, the game is on PC, anyway…

44. Fethennour

Another fail from Microsucks. Assholes.

45. laughing-gravy

There will probably be a new version of live for the new system as they always seem to improve it when moving to a new generation. So if your country isn’t on the list you’re screwed. I notice the Baltic countries are getting the shaft but not the rest of Europe. They’ve excluded a huge amount of their customer base with this latest fuck-up. Ballmer really is a twonk.

46. zinc

“If your country is not supported, we have a console for you. Its called the 360. #dealwithit”

Don Mattrick

47. Gekidami

Enjoy using tricks to get around the BS blocks on your Dictator Box then, i guess?

48. Gnosis

Well then, sorry for the ppl who are locked out. Can only hope that they expand in time. In the end MS are only hurting themselves with it.

49. G1GAHURTZ

@49:

You mean the imaginary “blockage” that you’re desperately hoping will happen?

50. G1GAHURTZ

This is the way it works:

51. Ireland Michael

There likely won’t be any blockages. This is just standard business announcements. This is purely for “official” support. I doesn’t meant excluded countries don’t have ways to get their hands on this stuff, or access it.

52. Erthazus

“So, in Poland you can MAKE The Witcher 3, for XBOne… you just can’t play it. ;-)”

epic comment from NeoGaf.

53. Gekidami

No, i mean the one MS have put up on their official web site by not listing whole bunch of countries, right up there in the article. Funny you say i’m imagining something thats sourced right in front of you. And stop being mad whilst you’re at it.

54. G1GAHURTZ

You keep judging me by your own standards… For shame.

Quote me where the word “block” is used on the official website.

Or even in this article, for that matter…

55. Joe Musashi

Microsoft weather bulletin: reports of widespread far-reaching cloud overstated. Residents should brace for strong gusts of hot air originating from the Redmond area.

Tomrorrow’s outlook: Stormy.

JM

56. Gekidami

Fine “Countries Live wont work in because it isnt supported” better? Seriously, you really need to stop getting mad.

57. Fin

FUCK YOU PORTUGAAAAAAAAAAAL.

58. G1GAHURTZ

No it’s not better, because the word “block” doesn’t exist in that sentence.

And in case you didn’t know, the verb ‘to block’ has absolutely nothing to do with the verb ‘to (not) work’.

Had enough yet?

Perhaps I could give you some English lessons, later…

59. Fin

Just a quick technical point re: VPN. I’m not quite sure how one would go about using a VPN on a console – as far as I know, sharing the ethernet on a laptop that’s connected to a VPN over Wifi won’t tunnel the traffic through the VPN. I assume the VPN would have to work at a lower (hardware/OS?) level for this to function.

60. Gekidami

“Perhaps I old give you some English lessons, later…”
    Not a phase you want to make a mistake in…

61. Samoan Spider

@62 Surely you would just set the laptop as a proxy server and route all XBL ports to the VPN? Ofc this would mean I would have to assume the XBO will allow connections through a proxy.

Edit: Yeah this is what you would do : http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Tutorials:Using_Proxyserver_as_VPN_router_alternative

62. Gnosis

Btw I’d actually go along with ppl, who say that it’s gotta be a different kind of XBLA, since there is no real reason not to make it available in the same countries. And I don’t think, that there’s a guaranty it’s gonna work the same way.

63. G1GAHURTZ

@63:

Oops!

Auto correct on this iPad isn’t great at times…

Regardless, I see you’ve given up again, for yet another day.

You’ll be back for more, no doubt.

You really should do something about that terrible schadenfreude issue you have, though…

64. Ekona

It’s available in the UK. I live in the UK. I don’t take my Xbox to other countries when I visit them. This bothers me not a jot.

Can you actually buy an XB1 in a non-XBL country? As in will the retailers even stock it?

65. JavelinX

@48 Something like… “if you don’t like democracy, we have a different way. It’s called Fascism. #dealwithit”

66. G1GAHURTZ

@62:

Here’s one way

67. Fin

@64,69

Cool nice one! Learn something new every day :)

68. reask

Got to say giga at the very best the launch overall has been shabby.
    At the worst a disaster.

Not saying you are wrong or right but everything has been bad pr up to now and this on top of that.

I am going ps4 I reckon and will wait a while to see are MS gonna get there act together.

69. G1GAHURTZ

It depends on how you look at it, reask.

Sure, MS are failing hard on the PR front right now, but I don’t expect that to have any impact on the games that I intend to play.

More importantly, I’m not sure if all the bad press in the world could make me suddenly want a thing that has left me pretty unimpressed, so far.

If I go for a PS4 it’s got to be because Sony made me want to buy one, and not because MS got something wrong.

70. Irani

Where Is Best Country “Iran”?

71. reask

I hear you giga but I mean this just reeks of the PS3 launch.
    Someone like yourself with a good idea of how tech works fair enough but the 360 owner living in Poland say, just sees his country not on the list….

Does that make sense?
    I know for a fact that your an avid gamer but MS just seems to be doing EVERYTHING wrong with this launch imho.

72. manamana

“Stand by for Titanfall!”

MS wont fall but they stumble their path until their launch in a way that I haven’t encountered in the last decades.

73. reask

74. Irani

Fu….ck all country , Fu…ck world , long live Best country IRAN

75. Junior

It is not a matter of support on the countries provided but the quality in internet service in those countries.

Sometimes you are at the mercy of the only internet provider in Brasil to decide when they will send a technician to your house. It can take days or weeks. If you need to log in once a day for your system to work, you are screwed

76. Fin

Will people in those countries be able to buy the Xbox at retail? Or just grey market?

77. Cort

Wow. Just….

Really?

Wow.

78. AyKKon

So they are pretty proud they have official Xbox Live in a whoping 46 countries and they are releasing the Xbox One on just 21 of these countries??? I imagine how many (already) pissed current 360 owners will be right now… including me! What the F*CK is this???? 1992??? And even worse is that you advise people that dont have internet to just keep or buy a 360??? Have you finally and seriously fucking LOST it*???’ Damn you ALL to hell Microsoft!!!

79. Cort

@73 In-between “Iraq” and “Afghanistan”.

80. salarta

This is why I’ve never supported Microsoft as a console maker. I KNEW from day one that Microsoft was the kind of company that would try to screw consumers over good and hard if they ever achieved market dominance.

They very clearly believe they have that market dominance, otherwise they wouldn’t be trying to institute so many anti-consumer initiatives in this machine and respond to criticism of it in such an insulting manner. If they thought they were in danger of the trouncing that we all know they’re about to get, they wouldn’t be saying and doing so many things that essentially say “Please don’t buy our products.”

81. Belazur

This is what Microsoft says –> http://i.imgur.com/eX7F7kS.jpg

Wow, the XboxOne is sucks a clusterf+ck.
    Why are some people still supporting this thing?
    Go and buy a PS4/PC!

82. CyberMarco

I just can’t say how ridiculous is MS’s stance. But why did the support guy ended his phrases with “^PC”?

Did he try to send a subconscious message to buy PC instead? :P

83. Irani

@83 We Are Aryan People , Master race , We are Best

84. Cort

If you are the best, why don’t you know where your country is? You had to ask us.

Jolly bad form, old boy.

85. NightCrawler1970

For all those peeps thats lives in non SUPPORTED XBOX ONE…

Pretty sure that lots of Portugese are football lovers, but all sudden not listed by Xbox.. is a bloody shame…

Greece, is flat-broke, goverment doesn’t have the money so is the Greece bank…by giving there own people a cut-each-day to pull out 100 Euro from the ATM, but the bank laundry money in billions in 5 days(to Russia and anywhere else) thats ok….

86. NightCrawler1970

@87??? for real??? you lives in Iran
    Aryan race means different kiddo…

NUFF SAID!!!!

87. NightCrawler1970

@86, AMEN BRO!!!! SONY RULES THE WORLD!!! when Xbox start packing there shit… lmao

88. Old MacDonald

87: Never heard of this “Iran” thing you’re talking about. Is it in Africa?

89. CyberMarco

Another one…

90. CyberMarco

Seriously, FUCK OFF!

91. Cort

Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia must be pissed. What did they do wrong?

92. CyberMarco

The PS4 Controller’s improvement

93. Cort

@96 Still not enough of a curve in L2 and R2. Needed something like this:

94. machy

no love for middle east ::(

95. Cort

@98 Hey that’s America for ya. ;)

PS You’d think they’d include Israel given that’s where they bought Kinect.

96. John117

And people have forgotten how the PS3 took 6 months after releasing in Japan and USA until you could buy it in the rest of the world. Atleast MS started with 19 more countries >_>

97. GoldenKratos

So no love for Portugal? Huge Microsoft fan but very sad to see this..Change your policy at least on this Microsoft!

98. Digital Bamboo

They seem to have forgotten a few continents there.

99. NinJe

I’d like to know what percentage of people in these supported countries have a good internet connection.

100. ps3fanboy

haha!… another costly fail by mickey$oft… sony are gonna do it big this time, the ps4 is gonna sell more than the ps2 ever did.

101. noamlol2