Sony to support PS4 for 10-years, “always wanted to hit” $399 price point

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 16:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida expects the lifespan of PS4 to last 10 years, just like its predecessors.

Speaking with CVG, Yoshida said with PS4, there is room for growth should games start to exceed the 8GB of RAM, and 10 years of support is planned.

“In the middle of PS3 we really hit the limit with what we could do on the system side,” he said. “We wanted to add the cross-game voice chat that many people asked us about, but we had no room in the system memory at all to add it.

“So the PS4′s enlarged, very fast memory allows us in the future to improve and add more new features. And at the same time we are continuing to invest and add onto the online services so that, three years from now, the PS4 will be much, much better than PS4 this holiday – and that was the case on PS3 and PS Vita.”

Yoshida also touched upon the system’s price point, stating Sony learned lessons from PS3, and did a better job this time out designing the system architecture, network services, and the lot.

“Designing PS4 was all about learning lessons from PS3 – ease of development and the cost of the system is a big part of it,” he said. “We always wanted to hit $399 and we designed the system and carefully chose out of all the potential inclusions of the core hardware components and we made a system that we could sell for $399.

“So we just did what we aimed to do and we were hoping that people would like it. I was very surprised about the [price] announcement yesterday by some other company [Microsoft] … In a good way”.

PS4 is slated for a holiday release sometime close to Xbox One. The later of which will run $499 at retail.

1. reask

So the cell,s memory couldn’t handle x chat?

#1 10 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

I seriously hope next-gen doesn’t drag on that long, I imagine after a few years the tech will need an upgrade again like current-gen.

#2 10 months ago
  3. reask

I reckon next gen will be digital and on your telly with no console.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Pytox

by then pc is prolly 16 core or so :P

#4 10 months ago
  5. KAP

To this day PS2 games are still on shelves in UK GAME stores.
    Not to mention games still being made in Japan.
    Also PS2 consoles being manufacturd in Brazil.

Sony don’t fuck about when they say “10 year plan” lets just put it that way!

#5 10 months ago
  6. Erthazus

10 years…
    That’s just stupid.

2 years and PS4 is outdated. But at the same time Sony is not trying to be “edgy” and priced the system just right for the hardware it has. Games look good for the system with that price so i’m good for the time being…

But 10 life cycle is just M E H …

#6 10 months ago
  7. The_Red

I’m pretty sure it WILL drag on even longer (If there even IS a next-gen after this). Xbox One is clearly positioned to be the ultimate and probably last console from MS because to them, cloud is the future where the hardwore won’t matter. Plus, after the One device, you can’t exactly release an Xbox 2.

#7 10 months ago
  8. hitnrun

@5: Well, that remains to be seen. Are PS3 games going to be coming out in 2016 like Sony promised? Madden NFL 2011 and FIFA 2013 were released for the PS2. I doubt Madden 2017 and FIFA 2019 will be coming out for the PS3.

In reality, this has always been PR guff. The publishers and consumers jointly decide how long a system lasts with their dollars, not the platform holder.

The difference this time, of course, is that the PS4′s future at this very early stage looks much more like the PS2 than the PS3, so Sony fans won’t just be shouting into the wind with this one.

#8 10 months ago
  9. KAP

If these new systems are outdated within a couple of years, why do you care to comment or better still why buy one that only be relevant to you for such a short time?!

If games such as The Last Of Us comes out on such an old 7 year old console, I’m good, I’ll stick with PS4 thanx mate.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Gheritt White

Firstly, this is the LAST console gen. It’s all being pushed straight to your TV via the cloud next decade, a bit like Sky.

Secondly, I hope the PS4/XB1 gen lasts an extra year, making it an eight year long cycle. Why? Because we’ve *finally* reached the point where GFX don’t *need* to get any better.

The only reason where there would need to be another gen after this is if they crack real-time ray tracing,. Then I can see the need for another local device. However, I’d be more than happy if this was the last traditional console gen – from the PS4 hardware side at least (and especially with touch functions on the pad), I couldn’t be happier – this gen DELIVERS.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Christopher Jack

@6, That’s the problem, it’s not feasible for most people to spend $500 upgrading their PC every 2 years.

For less than the cost of a comparable CPU+GPU combo & before factoring in the rest of the PC you can buy a console that will deliver respectable graphics for the next 10 years.

No one who buys a console (bar a few delusional fanboys & the more casual gamers) expect it to look better than a $1000 PC so why is it so important to you that the $399 machine looks better?

#11 10 months ago
  12. Erthazus

@Gheritt White,
    I’m not really sure that this is the last console gen. The reason here is that the next big thing will probably be a mainsteeam version of Oculus Rift and I don’t see Sony not doing it’s own hardware with glasses. Not to mention about glasses free 3D and 4K.

Besides, we are not reached the point where GFX don’t need to get any better. IT needs to be better. While games look good, physics in GFX cards are poor. Even the latest PhysX from Nvidia or TressFX from AMD shows that we just only started to offer games with physics. Havoc physics are already cheap these days.

@Christopher Jack, I agree with you and at the same time disagree.
    I liked that in previous gen we had 4-5 years… but 10 year life cycle is urgh… Look at the latest games and they are just meh… for their last 7 years cycle.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Clupula

@10 – I don’t think this will be the last console generation. Every console generation seems to hear that. I do think this will definitely be the last one with physical discs or any sort of physical product. In fact, I’d say 3 or 4 years from now, I expect every game to be digital release-only.

But I think there’s definitely places to go, as far as consoles go, beyond what we have now.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Christopher Jack

@12, We also need a benchmark machine for PC & I think these dedicated consoles will do a good job of that, the maximum quality of a console game this gen is the absolute bare minimum you should expect with a top gaming PC for the near future. Although it looks like you’ll need a GTX670 or Radeon 7950 at this point to just slightly beat a PS4/XBone the console but PC GPUs evolve so fast you’ll be stuck on medium graphics 2 years from now @1080p & console games will start looking better.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Gheritt White

@12: Firstly, I agree – Oculus Rift has the potential to be disruptive technology. BUT it needs to be priced reasonably or it won’t gain traction, thus rendering its impact negligible.

As for the GFX… dude, only *you* even notice shit like that. That’s why you (and others like you) are PC gamers! Honestly, most everyone else don’t really care and they will be more than happy with PS4 GFX for the next decade. Most people’s impression is that the PS4 is pretty much able to replicate cinematic graphics that are capable of capturing human emotion, so in that way videogame GFX don’t *need* to be any better.

@13: You might get a set-top box, again a bit like Sky, but you won’t be getting dedicated local processing. So it’d be a “console” in name only. As far as I’m aware, MS intend for their digital transition (by which I mean their focus moves from physical to digital) to start in 2015. I’ve no visibi9ity on Sony’s stuff.

One last thing… all this could change if Valve actually ship a Steambox.

#15 10 months ago
  16. karma

#3: “I was watching one of the business channels on sky yesterday and they were saying the games industry is in decline.
    I reckon next gen will be digital and on your telly with no console.”

I honestly doubt it. A lot of corporate guys in the business of making money from the industry want it for obvious reasons, so for years they have been telling us that its the future. But honestly, I don’t think that will ever come to fruition. We’ve had the capability do it for years now, but people still keep buying from local retail. I guess they just don’t want to give up having a physical copy.
    I suspect what’ll really happen is both retail and digital will continue to exist alongside one another for the foreseeable future, mainly because they actually complement each other.

As for the decline, if you had been around since the very beginning (Atari 2600) like me, then you will have noticed that the games industry is kind of cyclic. It has always had lulls and highs with new innovations leading to high points, and stagnation leading to less interest and spending. Right now we’re also in a bit of a rut due to the economic crash a few years ago too. Less money to spend on gaming has caused gamers to have to be a lot more savvy about how much they spend on gaming, which has forced publishers to play things a lot safer too, leading to stagnation.

#16 10 months ago
  17. NiceFellow

@1 I’ll probably regrest this but let me explain.

The inability to add cross-game chat was nothing to do with the cell or the hardware at all. It was down to the size of the OS footprint at launch and the memory left for games.

After launch, anything you add to the OS cannot take the OS memory footprint above launch. Now the OS footprint for the PS3 shrunk over time, and they could add some stuff, but they never got it small enough to add cross-game chat without taking the OS footprint above the launch size.

Why does this matter? Because then older games wouldn’t run anymore which would have been a disaster.

So they had to skip it because they couldn’t shrink the OS enough.

It was really nothing to do with the hardware or Cell at all.

Simple example just to make it clear. Let’s say launch OS is 112 MB and launch games use 400 MB (just easy to add up to 512 MB memory simple example). Then let’s say OS shrinks to 80MB but adding cross-game chat would take the OS footprint up to 116 MB – well any game using 400 MB would be in trouble because now only 394 MB would be available.

So to summarize the problem was the OS wasn’t designed for cross-game chat and although the console had everything technically needed to support it from a hardware point of view Sony never manged to shrink the OS enough to add it without breaking other stuff.

Look at Vita – that has cross-game chat easily enough because the OS was designed better and included it from the start.

Adding stuff after launch is always tricky as everything added has to stay inside certain limits set at launch.

Same would apply for 360 but the 360 OS started out smaller than PS3s and that was with cross-game chat already in there.

Remember Sony is primarily hardware and MS is primarily software – so MS got the better OS and Sony got the better hardware (i.e. the PS3 always ran quieter and was smaller without needing a separate power brick).

It’s a shame MS/Sony ended up competing because Sony HW powered by MS OS would be rather nice to be honest – Playstation : powered by Live!

#17 10 months ago
  18. themadjock

@18 Great post but it is partly to do with the RAM limitations. I remember when they cut back the RAM spec at the last minute, I wish they hadn’t favouring a cut in he mem card reader and 2nd USB controller instead like they did with the Slim.

What was your source for your post?

#18 10 months ago
  19. Samoan Spider

@18 Excellent post. As for the observation at the end, I had a BS:Infinite style view of an alternate universe just then and that’s an awesome thought! Shame it shall never come to pass.

#19 10 months ago
  20. manamana

@18 great post!

#20 10 months ago
  21. reask

Very informative read 18.
    Forgive my ignorant post. :(
    I,m no techy tbh.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Christopher Jack

Can someone ask Sony on how they’re handling game installs? Will they be mandatory? Will they allow me to play without the disk?- if so how will they prevent multiple people playing the same game originating from that single disc?

#22 10 months ago