Project Spark has cross-play between Windows 8, Xbox One, and Xbox 360

Monday, 10th June 2013 18:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft announced Project Spark today at its E3 conference. It’s a game about making your own game which you can share with other gamers. You can build your own world, obstacles and enemies. Other players can even re-mix your game and build on an idea. The open-world digital game will allow you to play across Xbox One, Windows 8 and Xbox 360. Screenshots are below.

1. Sadismek

Ok, this is the most interesting thing I’ve seen so far.

2. Ireland Michael

Agreed. That looks genuinely new and original. Looks like a tonne of fun.

I’ll be buying that the moment it comes out.

3. fihar

So basically they build upon the concept of LBP and took it a step further.

Interesting. UGCs are going to be a lot bigger next-gen.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 Creatively, it looks like you’ll have far less control over how things actually look, but more control over the emergent gameplay,

5. Sadismek

@2 Too bad it’s still not quite enough for me to consider buying it. Maybe if they build more upon it, and secure a deal on Red Dead Redemption 2 :P.

Waiting to see what PS4 has in the cooking before making up my mind.

6. Ireland Michael

@2 Its coming to PC.

It doesn’t matter how good the games are on the Xbox One though. I won’t be buying the console purely as a matter of principal.

7. CyberMarco

@Michael, good to know.

8. Sadismek

@6 Perfect!

9. ysleiro

@3 No. Not Little Big Planet.

Microsoft made a game JUST like this before this looks 100% based off that game.

The game is called Kodu Game Lab.

10. Ireland Michael

@9 Yeah, they just forgot to put any charm or personality whatsoever into KGL.

11. fihar

Well, what do you know, I learned something new today.
    I have absolutely no idea what that was before you pointed it out.

So Spark is the AAA version of RPG Maker then?

12. sg1974

You have my attention, MS.

But then again, Sony had my attention with LBP and that didn’t last long. Novelty factor wore off very quickly.

So whatya got?

13. DrDamn

Interesting. Could have done without the appearance of a big mech thing with guns at the end. Bit unnecessary. Like to see how this one pans out.

14. KineticCalvaria

@4, think the whole world building part was just the preset options in the demo (if that’s what you meant, if not ignore me). It does show however in the demo that you can still edit the terrain yourself and place things etc. Pleasantly surprised by this game anyway, looks great fun.

15. reask

It looked very interesting but not my thing tbh.
    I kinda liked the assortment of different games tonight to appeal to a broad audience.

16. ysleiro

I thought this was the most innovative thing shown (although Titanfall stole the show).

I look at it from the perspective of “yes we did see new IP but this wasn’t just new IP, it was a new idea with regards to gaming mechanics”.

17. TheWulf

Welp, this looks pretty great. And I’m always intrigued by experiences which let you build games. It’s sort of like modding, after all, and some mods are honestly better than the games they were modded into. I know that there were some story mods for Fallout 3 that just so far surpassed all of the official content in quality and how engaging they were that it was funny.

So I’m all for this!