Mirror’s Edge “reboot” announced as in the works at DICE

Monday, 10th June 2013 21:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mirror’s Edge was announced as in the works at DICE. No word on a release, just a teaser trailer. It’s below, and a “reboot” of the original game.

Mirror’s Edge 2 has been promised for ages, and was pretty much a shoe-in for an announcement thanks to news of EA re-upping its domains for it and listings popping up on Amazon Germany and Amazon Italy.

However, it appears that is NOT the case after all. EA never even really said as much during the conference: just “this is what you asked for.” No. Everyone asked for Mirror’s Edge 2.

Here’s the official description: Play through the origin story of Faith and explore the city with an unprecedented level of freedom of action and movement. Mirror’s Edge marks the return of the critically acclaimed first-person action adventure game from DICE. Powered by the Frostbite engine, Mirror’s Edge allows gamers to immerse themselves in a magnificent dystopian world and discover its darkest secrets. Experience the origin story of Faith and delve deeper into the inner workings of the city and the world around it.

Mirror’s Edge is in early stages of development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

1. Lengendaryboss

This is legen…. Wait for it Dary :)

2. Blue Oni

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. AHA-Lambda

Ok I was very disappointed in ME1 back in the day but MOTHER OF GOD that was gorgeous!

4. SplatteredHouse

oh yes. It’s on the way!!! :D That first-person perspective footage looked astonishing.

5. Lewis247

Battlefront then this. Oh God EA and DICE. Thank you. THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH.

6. Edo

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH except for the “When it’s ready” part :).

7. Pytox

finally :D

8. silverstorm

Looks like a prequel. And ofc HYYYYYYPE !

9. ps3fanboy

the best part is that it is not an exclusive :)

10. absolutezero

I don’t know about you but I loved the combat in Mirror’s Edge…

FUCK.

So where the fuck were all of you people when ME first came out? It seems to be in the same strange situation as Bayonetta, in that everyone seems to have an opinion on something that no one bought.

11. Froseidon

Battlefront 3, Dragon Age 3, Mirror’s Edge 2. EA wins. Screw Ubi.

Edit: Forgot Titanfall and Battlefield 4, how could I?

12. SplatteredHouse

That Battlefield 4 play looked to be just something else. I can’t wait to see a HD, smooth version of that encounter…But wow, Mirror’s Edge!!
    Super stuff from EA and what I saw of their sports lineup was top-notch, too…Then the PvZ GW at the top of the hour, as well to kick things off.

13. SplatteredHouse

Oh. What? They showed DA 3, as well?! – I had to head out, but got back near the start of BF4 – I will have to find a stream version of that (gameplay, or no?)

14. Beta

Fuck yes! Made my week.

15. Ireland Michael

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*takes a deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH MY GOD ITS ACTUALLY BEING MADE!

I think I might just faint after seeing that.

16. wlodi

Better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

It’s a prequel! :D

17. Ireland Michael

Can’t breath… too much excitement…

18. naffgeek

I hate EA, I hate EA……Battlefront 2!!!!

I like EA, I Like EA……PVZ GW!!!!

I really Like EA, I really Like EA…Mirrors Edge 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love EA, I Love EA…..BattleField 4….!!!

I will even forgive you for Sim City…well almost.

Now if PVZ 2′s free to play scheme is not draconian like Edge says then you might not even make number 1 on the evil companies list.

19. daytripper

Battlefront and this made my night. Really happy. Loved the first one

20. Beta

Seriously cheered me up, off to do the happiest care work shift of my life ;D

21. Razor

Ahem…

FUCK YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

22. sh4dow

FINALLY!!

23. Ireland Michael

*dies*

24. sh4dow

Can’t stand the music at the end though. I hope they’ll bring the original theme back at some point.

25. salarta

I’m completely indifferent, but I’m glad people are getting something they want.

Now hopefully the same can be said for me by the end of E3, instead of the usual situation of there being a mix of nothing I want and a lot of things I dislike.

26. Beta

Hoping Solar Fields is back on board. :)

27. Ireland Michael

@25 I think you’re just hard to please and way too fussy. =P

28. Neuromancer

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

29. sh4dow

@ 26:

You and me both. Music was just as vital for me with the original Mirror’s Edge as the unique visual style.
    Which is why I bothered to complain about the music in this trailer, despite being so overjoyed by seeing some ingame footage.

30. actuallyisnotafox

thankyou EA for making the games everybody wants ^.^

31. Beta

@29 Completely agreed. Music was a big part of why I enjoyed the first entry. I do hope that the main theme makes a return.

32. Edo

So basically it being a prequel confirmed..interesting…

33. Stephany Nunneley

well, no it’s a reboot. EA never even really said as much during the conference: just “this is what you asked for.”

No. Everyone asked for Mirror’s Edge 2.

– Making EVERYONE ASSUME it was Mirror’s Edge 2.

34. Edo

@33 Really confusing stuff,I hope to god it turns up good whatever it might is(prequel/sequel/reboot…).

35. sh4dow

@33:

What a slap in the face. Just deleted my blog post expressing my immense joy.

As you said… I did not ask for that.
    I wanted the story/concept to be continued, damn it!
    A prequel at least could’ve meant that they MIGHT continue the story in the future. But with a reboot, who knows what the hell they’re going to do. They’ve already put in that pumping music. Combined with the almost only action scenes, that may just indicate a more action-packed reboot.
    *sigh*
    Back to the original Mirror’s Edge it is… finishing my fourth playthrough…

36. Beta

If they stick with parkour as the main aspect and don’t go all shooty shooty dubstep shite on me I can remain optimistic. :)

But it didn’t need a reboot and if you dare ruin one of my favourite IP’s I will disown you EA.

37. sh4dow

I just dug out the trailer for the original Mirror’s Edge just for comparison:

38. tcc

A reboot…after one game?

39. Hunam

The story in the first was rubbish anyway, it’s the style and gameplay we want and another game will deliver that too, reboot or no!

40. SplatteredHouse

This “reboot” concept that has Steph irked in the article reads like marketing spiel, to me. There’s a new origin story (no problem, the one from Mirror’s Edge did not resonate on any real scale) and, my view is that they just intend to use THIS Mirror’s Edge as the starting point. Am I mistaken that a reboot typically alters defining aspects of the inspiration – I’m not sure that’s the intent.

I would suppose this to be more of a “refiring”, like you might for a container pot. They’re going to reintroduce and present the idea and concept.

“The stake is in the ground, this new game will be a first-person action adventure starring Faith and I am here to tell you that we will stay true to Mirror’s Edge.” – Mirrorsedge.com Sr. Producer letter

The EA press release reads:
    “The new Mirror’s Edge reboots the franchise for the next generation with advanced visuals and an all-new origin story for Faith.”

41. salarta

Yeah, stay true to the first. While nearly all reboots, especially ones starring female characters, completely ruin them.

Not that I’d actually be able to judge Mirror’s Edge’s reboot at all, just noting the constant trend.

42. Phoenixblight

Never really cared for the story in Mirrors Edge. It was all about the gameplay and the music. I even have a Mirrors Edge theme from my PC which plays “Still ALive” when booting up.

43. absolutezero

I’d say the aesthetic is the most important part of Mirror’s Edge. The World of gleaming white and shining lights is what made it the game that people really love.

If the game never looked the way it does I would have about half as much fun traversing it. From that short trailer it looks like its unique look is still in place.

44. Denzel_97

SOOOOOO excited over this long awaited game. Although it is an origin story, semi-reboot game (seriously, there is some confusion as to what it is), it would be good to uncover more about Faith and the City, as well as the Runners and their uprising with the City.

Glad to see that the art direction has stayed the same (with some killer looking enemies and mean combat), but the music direction in the trailer did surprise me. However, I do think that was a remixed tune at the end (fingers crossed).