Mirror’s Edge “reboot” announced as in the works at DICE

Monday, 10th June 2013 21:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mirror’s Edge was announced as in the works at DICE. No word on a release, just a teaser trailer. It’s below, and a “reboot” of the original game.

Mirror’s Edge 2 has been promised for ages, and was pretty much a shoe-in for an announcement thanks to news of EA re-upping its domains for it and listings popping up on Amazon Germany and Amazon Italy.

However, it appears that is NOT the case after all. EA never even really said as much during the conference: just “this is what you asked for.” No. Everyone asked for Mirror’s Edge 2.

Here’s the official description: Play through the origin story of Faith and explore the city with an unprecedented level of freedom of action and movement. Mirror’s Edge marks the return of the critically acclaimed first-person action adventure game from DICE. Powered by the Frostbite engine, Mirror’s Edge allows gamers to immerse themselves in a magnificent dystopian world and discover its darkest secrets. Experience the origin story of Faith and delve deeper into the inner workings of the city and the world around it.

Mirror’s Edge is in early stages of development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

1. Lengendaryboss

This is legen…. Wait for it Dary :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Blue Oni

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 1 year ago
  3. AHA-Lambda

Ok I was very disappointed in ME1 back in the day but MOTHER OF GOD that was gorgeous!

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

oh yes. It’s on the way!!! :D That first-person perspective footage looked astonishing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lewis247

Battlefront then this. Oh God EA and DICE. Thank you. THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Edo

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH except for the “When it’s ready” part :).

#6 1 year ago
  7. Pytox

finally :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. silverstorm

Looks like a prequel. And ofc HYYYYYYPE !

#8 1 year ago
  9. ps3fanboy

the best part is that it is not an exclusive :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. absolutezero

I don’t know about you but I loved the combat in Mirror’s Edge…

FUCK.

So where the fuck were all of you people when ME first came out? It seems to be in the same strange situation as Bayonetta, in that everyone seems to have an opinion on something that no one bought.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

Battlefront 3, Dragon Age 3, Mirror’s Edge 2. EA wins. Screw Ubi.

Edit: Forgot Titanfall and Battlefield 4, how could I?

#11 1 year ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

That Battlefield 4 play looked to be just something else. I can’t wait to see a HD, smooth version of that encounter…But wow, Mirror’s Edge!!
    Super stuff from EA and what I saw of their sports lineup was top-notch, too…Then the PvZ GW at the top of the hour, as well to kick things off.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

Oh. What? They showed DA 3, as well?! – I had to head out, but got back near the start of BF4 – I will have to find a stream version of that (gameplay, or no?)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Beta

Fuck yes! Made my week.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*takes a deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH MY GOD ITS ACTUALLY BEING MADE!

I think I might just faint after seeing that.

#15 1 year ago
  16. wlodi

Better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

It’s a prequel! :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ireland Michael

Can’t breath… too much excitement…

#17 1 year ago
  18. naffgeek

I hate EA, I hate EA……Battlefront 2!!!!

I like EA, I Like EA……PVZ GW!!!!

I really Like EA, I really Like EA…Mirrors Edge 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love EA, I Love EA…..BattleField 4….!!!

I will even forgive you for Sim City…well almost.

Now if PVZ 2′s free to play scheme is not draconian like Edge says then you might not even make number 1 on the evil companies list.

#18 1 year ago
  19. daytripper

Battlefront and this made my night. Really happy. Loved the first one

#19 1 year ago
  20. Beta

Seriously cheered me up, off to do the happiest care work shift of my life ;D

#20 1 year ago
  21. Razor

Ahem…

FUCK YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

#21 1 year ago
  22. sh4dow

FINALLY!!

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

*dies*

#23 1 year ago
  24. sh4dow

Can’t stand the music at the end though. I hope they’ll bring the original theme back at some point.

#24 1 year ago
  25. salarta

I’m completely indifferent, but I’m glad people are getting something they want.

Now hopefully the same can be said for me by the end of E3, instead of the usual situation of there being a mix of nothing I want and a lot of things I dislike.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Beta

Hoping Solar Fields is back on board. :)

#26 1 year ago
  27. Ireland Michael

@25 I think you’re just hard to please and way too fussy. =P

#27 1 year ago
  28. Neuromancer

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

#28 1 year ago
  29. sh4dow

@ 26:

You and me both. Music was just as vital for me with the original Mirror’s Edge as the unique visual style.
    Which is why I bothered to complain about the music in this trailer, despite being so overjoyed by seeing some ingame footage.

#29 1 year ago
  30. actuallyisnotafox

thankyou EA for making the games everybody wants ^.^

#30 1 year ago
  31. Beta

@29 Completely agreed. Music was a big part of why I enjoyed the first entry. I do hope that the main theme makes a return.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Edo

So basically it being a prequel confirmed..interesting…

#32 1 year ago
  33. Stephany Nunneley

well, no it’s a reboot. EA never even really said as much during the conference: just “this is what you asked for.”

No. Everyone asked for Mirror’s Edge 2.

– Making EVERYONE ASSUME it was Mirror’s Edge 2.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Edo

@33 Really confusing stuff,I hope to god it turns up good whatever it might is(prequel/sequel/reboot…).

#34 1 year ago
  35. sh4dow

@33:

What a slap in the face. Just deleted my blog post expressing my immense joy.

As you said… I did not ask for that.
    I wanted the story/concept to be continued, damn it!
    A prequel at least could’ve meant that they MIGHT continue the story in the future. But with a reboot, who knows what the hell they’re going to do. They’ve already put in that pumping music. Combined with the almost only action scenes, that may just indicate a more action-packed reboot.
    *sigh*
    Back to the original Mirror’s Edge it is… finishing my fourth playthrough…

#35 1 year ago
  36. Beta

If they stick with parkour as the main aspect and don’t go all shooty shooty dubstep shite on me I can remain optimistic. :)

But it didn’t need a reboot and if you dare ruin one of my favourite IP’s I will disown you EA.

#36 1 year ago
  37. sh4dow

I just dug out the trailer for the original Mirror’s Edge just for comparison:

#37 1 year ago
  38. tcc

A reboot…after one game?

#38 1 year ago
  39. Hunam

The story in the first was rubbish anyway, it’s the style and gameplay we want and another game will deliver that too, reboot or no!

#39 1 year ago
  40. SplatteredHouse

This “reboot” concept that has Steph irked in the article reads like marketing spiel, to me. There’s a new origin story (no problem, the one from Mirror’s Edge did not resonate on any real scale) and, my view is that they just intend to use THIS Mirror’s Edge as the starting point. Am I mistaken that a reboot typically alters defining aspects of the inspiration – I’m not sure that’s the intent.

I would suppose this to be more of a “refiring”, like you might for a container pot. They’re going to reintroduce and present the idea and concept.

“The stake is in the ground, this new game will be a first-person action adventure starring Faith and I am here to tell you that we will stay true to Mirror’s Edge.” – Mirrorsedge.com Sr. Producer letter

The EA press release reads:
    “The new Mirror’s Edge reboots the franchise for the next generation with advanced visuals and an all-new origin story for Faith.”

#40 1 year ago
  41. salarta

Yeah, stay true to the first. While nearly all reboots, especially ones starring female characters, completely ruin them.

Not that I’d actually be able to judge Mirror’s Edge’s reboot at all, just noting the constant trend.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Phoenixblight

Never really cared for the story in Mirrors Edge. It was all about the gameplay and the music. I even have a Mirrors Edge theme from my PC which plays “Still ALive” when booting up.

#42 1 year ago
  43. absolutezero

I’d say the aesthetic is the most important part of Mirror’s Edge. The World of gleaming white and shining lights is what made it the game that people really love.

If the game never looked the way it does I would have about half as much fun traversing it. From that short trailer it looks like its unique look is still in place.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Denzel_97

SOOOOOO excited over this long awaited game. Although it is an origin story, semi-reboot game (seriously, there is some confusion as to what it is), it would be good to uncover more about Faith and the City, as well as the Runners and their uprising with the City.

Glad to see that the art direction has stayed the same (with some killer looking enemies and mean combat), but the music direction in the trailer did surprise me. However, I do think that was a remixed tune at the end (fingers crossed).

#44 1 year ago