DC Universe Online and Planetside 2 Coming to PS4

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 18:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SOE has confirmed DC Universe Online and Planetside 2 will be released on PS4. Each will be made available as free-to-play digital downloads later this year, reports IGN. Earlier this week, DCUO’s Larry Liberty said PS4 would be an “MMO-friendly platform.” Not much else was annnounced regarding the titles on the console, but just knowing both are coming is good enough for now. We expect to hear more at E3 next week.

1. redwood

and they are exclusive :D if we are counting like microsoft does :P

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

Oh my… If Everquest Next will come out to PS4 it’s going to be a death sentence for the franchise.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

Always thought Planetside 2 would be better as a console game, might start playing again on Playstation 4, so many awesome games coming. Exciting times.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Let me go get my shoe.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

Everquest is still counted as alive? I played the original back in the day and loved it, but it’s barely got a pulse to lose these days has it?

#5 1 year ago
  6. redwood

@4 lol wut?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Tavarish

@1 SOE games exclusive for PS 4? Fuck no, who would have guessed? :D

@3 How so? Care to elaborate more, I’m interested to hear yours reasoning?

PlanetSide 2 coming to PS 4 was kinda given considering how heavily SOE and PS 2 developers have been hinting about possible console port. I just waited for official announcement. I hope SOE has chops to pull this off and can properly maintain game on two very different kind platforms at same time. Especially when game still has insane performance issues on PC and no fixes in sight.

#7 1 year ago
  8. actuallyisnotafox

15 exclusives!! yeah i dont see the point in counting exclusives like microsoft :p

#8 1 year ago
  9. redwood

@7 exactly!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

@5, Not only the first game is alive. SOE is still making Addons for it.
    Second game is F2P but in reality it could have subs at the same level of WoW but they failed with the support.

anyway, you are hardcore if you played the first game :D

#10 1 year ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@7, the UI, gameplay, controls all seem pretty much designed with PS4 in mind, which I always thought was their intent anyway as you say.

Also the graphics aren’t exactly console breaking as they don’t even use DX11.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

“the UI, gameplay, controls all seem pretty much designed with PS4 in mind, which I always thought was their intent anyway as you say.”

Are you high or what? you should also say that first Planetside 1 was also designed with PS4 in mind.

Jesus.

Btw, UI and control scheme in this game was designed for a PC. Genius.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Tavarish

@11 If we use those as measurement for “It was designed for consoles in first place” then every single FPS game since Quake 1 has been made for consoles. Only UI’s have been getting larger and larger for past 5 or so years. PS 2 has very generic FPS gameplay and simple control schemes, but so has any other FPS that isn’t mi-sim like ArmA 3.

PlanetSide 2 is easily one the best looking Dx9 games out there even if it has laughable performance. You know something is wrong when developers themselves openly state that game engine has been big disappointment performance wise. Hence why I wonder how PS 4 can handle this game where even good PC’s fell to knees at places.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Erthazus

^btw, their engine is indeed a big POS. they said that Everquest Next will be on that engine too. I wonder what performance will be for that game…

#14 1 year ago
  15. KineticCalvaria

@13, so basically you’re agreeing its a good fit on console? Jeez why does everything turn into a big debate, all I said was its a good fit for console, wasn’t looking for someone to nitpick.

@12, What does that image prove? That it has a chat box? Wow, take that away, boom good to go for PS4, nice try.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Tavarish

@15 You said “Always thought Planetside 2 would be better as a console game…” and I was just interested in yours reasoning for such statement, opinion, as you used word better.

I never said or intended to say that PS 2 wouldn’t as PS 4 game and all power to SOE if they make properly working port. It means more players and more cash for them and this means better development health for game itself. Everyone wins, in theory at least.

#16 1 year ago
  17. viralshag

All these MMOs… If I can get a Xbox pad adapter for a PS4, that might be my perfect combo…

#17 1 year ago
  18. superjay779

Not good enough to buy a PS4

#18 1 year ago
  19. Llewelyn_MT

@Tavarish: PS2 is not the best looking DX9 game, not by a long shot. Maybe on higher settings it is, but my PC (that runs BF3 on High with little trouble) can barely move this monster with playable framerate.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Tavarish

@20 Show me Dx 9 game that has better graphics and open world gameplay? Scale naturally don’t need be PS 2′s scale.

I can also play Bf 3 on high settings without problems, but I can also play PS 2 on high setting because my FPS isn’t limited by GPU. Besides graphically good looking isn’t same as playable. Crysis 1 looks stunning, but back in the day next to no PC were able to run it on max.

#20 1 year ago