The Last of Us: ‘Factions’ multiplayer previews and screens appear

Monday, 3rd June 2013 16:03 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog has revealed at long last the game’s multiplayer mode and screens. The first wave of previews and images has gone live now. Check out the details here.

One preview by TheSixthAxis explains that The Last of Us multiplayer is called ‘Factions’ and is split across two game modes.

The online component lets players choose one of two human factions seen in the game’s single-player campaign, and your survivor can be decked out in a variety of clothing, gear and hats, similar to Uncharted 3. You can also design a player emblem.

Your chosen clan also comes with AI survivors and matches play out across many days and weeks. Every match played counts as a day and as you progress your survivor count grows. You can also craft items online and gather resources to help your clan’s survival.

There are four pre-set load-outs called assault, sniper, support and stealth, each with four slots. You can fill slots with a small weapon, a large weapon and two special skills. One confirmed skill is called Covert Training 2, which renders your character invisible when other players are in listen mode, which lets people look through walls.

We’ll have more on The Last of Us multiplayer soon. The game’s out exclusively on PS3 from June 14.

Here are the screens. What do you think?

Thanks AGB.

1. Lengendaryboss

Oh did you guys not get a chance to give impressions? or when the embargo lifts Wednesday? Anyway two modes seems to be on the short side but i hope for longevity and replayabilty.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Only select media man, but yes, expect review impressions soon.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gekidami

^ Review as in the full game?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

As excited about this game as I am, I could not give a single fuck about the multiplayer aspect. If there’s a trophy for trying it out, I guess I’ll give it a shot once, but otherwise, only care about the single player aspect.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

@Gek,
    Embargo is Wednesday afaik.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Beta

@4 100% agreed.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

@Dave Noted, can’t wait.

@4/6
    Do you two plan to give it try? or disregard it completely?

#7 1 year ago
  8. jmg24bad

I know I’ll love the story, so multiplayer is going to be the icing on the cake for me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheLastDodo

Seeing the multiplayer in screenshots isn’t doing anything at all for me, it really just looks like a new Uncharted 3 map pack.

I suppose you can’t get any proper context though from screenshots and I actually do like the concept of ‘Factions’.

Provided I don’t have to enter any code to prove I’m not a criminal to access ‘Factions’ then I’ll happily give it a try.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

looks like uncharted with new maps and weapons.. but i like it.. i will be waiting for a ‘goty’ edition. so i expect to play this game in 1 or 2 years from release.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ivycrew707

@4 AND 6…..I bet they ruin it like Tomb Raider with the multiplayer trophies…I just Plated TM and the hardest part was forcing myself to sit threw level 60 just for the trophies….unless there is a drastic change in game mechanics the MP is probably gonna be slow paced stealth fighting

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

@11 – Two different companies. Uncharted 2 & 3 had only one or two multiplayer trophies. Basically, all they wanted you to do was try out the online mode once and you got a trophy for it. Perfectly okay with that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@7 – Play it once, see if it’s fun (it never is), get my trophy, and then ignore the mode completely.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Erthazus

PvP for this kind of game is pointless.

If ND would make something like DayZ in THIRD PERSON, now that would be the most amazing experience ever… But so far it’s Uncharted 3.1 multiplayer.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gekidami

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

You weren’t going to play this game anyways. SO really it doesn’t matter what your opinion is.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Erthazus

@15, It’s not actually That bad. It’s decent, but the idea of PvP in this game is just pointless.

DayZ kind of stuff would be the most perfect thing ever.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

@15: Meh, looks extremely pointless.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Phoenixblight

You don’t know what I have or have not played.

“You don’t have to play the game to see what it offers, genius. Content is a fact of software.”

Actually you do as there is very little info about it, along with very little gameplay to show for it. Not only that you come on every SOny article and troll because you don’t like Sony. Just like Loki and PC games.

#19 1 year ago
  20. IrrationalGamer

I guess I might be in the minority of people looking forward to the whole experience of this game (SP and MP). I liked that ND updated Uncharted 3 MP often with experimental maps and modes, so I will be looking to make The Last of Us MP my main for awhile.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@Young
    I would still give it a chance, you can’t really base anything off a low quality 3min video.

@Erthazus
    It does look decent maybe cleaner footage will give us a better view on it, inspiration from DayZ would be cool.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Phoenixblight

Please then show me where I have said I don’t play online competitive games since you’ve read all my “whiny bs” posts. Surely you have proof of such a claim.

You are just a bored and feel like trolling. You can go whack off to your anti-Sony posts somewhere else.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Beta

@7 Personally I have never enjoyed multiplayer games. They’re just not for me.

I may give it a try but I probably won’t be a long term player.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Phoenixblight

“#17 You never played any decent omp, so yours is even more irrelevant.”

“#21 I do, just by reading you whiny bs.”

Uh huh forgetting what you had post already?

#24 1 year ago
  25. Gekidami

WTF are you doing, Phoenixblight?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Clupula

@28 – Seriously, stop feeding him.

You are never getting a Mogwai after this.

#26 1 year ago