“Sony’s done a nice job” in digital space – Spencer

Saturday, 1st June 2013 13:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft Studios corporate vice-president Phil Spencer has promised the firm will release more digital hits on Xbox One along the lines of Minecraft. In fact, Spencer commended Sony on how it handles the digital space.

Speaking with OXM, Spencer said not every digital title has “got to look like Halo,” and smaller titles – or non- triple-A budget games if you will – have a place on the new console.

“I’m pretty proud of the work that we’ve done digitally over the last three to four years on Xbox 360,” he said. “Games like Castle Crashers, Limbo and Terraria right now – that game’s pretty fun. I do think it’s about quality in the end, managing our bandwidth and what we’re going to work on.

“I think Sony’s done a nice job of this. If you look over the last two years or so in that digital space. Journey was a fantastic game. I thought they did a really nice job and, you know, as a portfolio manager, it’s my job to figure out what you’re going to focus on.

“It definitely won’t be the case that everything’s got to look like Halo. We’ll have smaller titles. I think that’s really core to how games get created today, and our platform is really going to be well positioned to support those kinds of games and services.”

Spencer said earlier this week that something big will be announced at E3 next month for Xbox 360, and that the console “is going to be very vibrant for many years.”

“In fact, we have a huge, I think it’s huge, [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can’t,” he said.

Xbox One is expected sometime this year, and Microsoft will talk all about games – it’s promised – during its E3 presentation on June 10.

1. tezzer1985

Nice to see such comments

2. loveaya

Praising your competitor’s work is a respectable action.

3. ps3fanboy

he try to butt kiss sony now, so when it goes downhill for the xbone he can come work on gaming for the playstation. thats all this is…

4. Kanok

Just let developer can publish on themself.

5. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    You can pretty much find a fault with everything if thats how you perceive stuff, like @ 1+2 said its a good thing to complement your competitors on their successes: makes for a friendly rivalry.

6. Froseidon

@5 You’re better off ignoring him :P He just tries to troll anything Xbox / Nintendo (mainly Xbox). I’m rather surprised he’s still around, considering none of his input is constructive at all.

Edit: Back on topic, yes, its nice to see one rival respecting another. To be honest, they’d have worked together before, the industry is too tight for them to have not to. It only makes sense to have some form of respect for one another.

7. Lengendaryboss

Oh I know.

8. ps3fanboy

@6 the xbot is strong in this one… but seriously i just give my opinion and i don’t like this guy. by your reasoning everyone must like this guy or they are a troll. if it is anyone here that dont make sense it is you.

9. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Since we are doing star wars quotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6opMZg6wQ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ngGlPoI1vw

10. Froseidon

@8 – Honestly, “console wars” are stupid. People own what they want to own, end of.

“by your reasoning everyone must like this guy or they are a troll. if it is anyone here that dont make sense it is you.” – How? I said nothing of the sort. You’re welcome to not like the guy if you don’t want to, but I totally did not say this in any way… I said you’re a troll, and you are, on every Xbox article, you’re there hating on it like its going out of fashion, with no reason as to why you hate more than “I don’t like this therefore its wrong and nobody should like it”… You’re a moron.

@9 – LMAO

11. brotherhoodofthewolf

smoothing the path to a job move?

strangely punchable face!

12. ps3fanboy

@9 you have compassion and understading for people like phil spencer, i’m guessing you are a butt kisser yourself seeing how you have such sympathy for people that are always fucking others over.

@10 let me put it in other words.. “consumer wars” are needed, or we would still be living in a cave without any customers rights. you say i am on all xbox article, so are you mister smart ass. you also praise every xbox article, like a religion fanatic. the fact is that ms don’t give the customer any choice with their always on drm infested tvbox. ms are only interested to have a straw in peoples pockets to suck them dry. this is very clearly something that is not acceptable. you go on and support crap like this as an brainwashed muppet. it is people like you that ruin gaming as we know it. so your in no position to call anyone a moron when your the fool that support this garbage from ms.

13. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Has nothing to do with me butt kissing anyone, just praising and respecting a person positive response to their competition actions: nothing more, nothing less.

14. Froseidon

@12 – “you also praise every xbox article, like a religion fanatic.” That’s news to me… I’m just gonna take my own advise and ignore you.