Xbox One: keep your 360 if you want to play XBLA games

Friday, 31st May 2013 11:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One won’t lay existing XBLA games. Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has suggested that if you want to continue playing them you should keep your Xbox 360.

Speaking with Gamespot, Spencer shed light on the incompatibility of XBLA games and Xbox One.

“Those games will continue to run on your Xbox 360 for as long as your Xbox 360 runs,” he explained. “The box is not backward compatible and we think for somebody who invests in a large digital library that you want to keep your [Xbox 360]. Keep that as a vibrant part of the ecosystem.

“That’s why we’ve made sure that your identity, your friends, are constant between both platforms. You don’t have a separate identity on Xbox One or [Xbox 360]; it’s the same, you are you. My friend’s network is the same on both boxes, my achievements are the same. So we think that service component is an important component to keep constant across both devices”.

Talking about the future of XBLA on Xbox 360, Spencer added that something big will be announced at E3 next month. “I think the [Xbox 360] is going to be very vibrant for many years,” he said. “In fact, we have a huge, I think it’s huge, [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can’t.

“I think it will surprise people. I loved what we did with Minecraft; bring Minecraft to the box; six million units later it’s kind of a beast. I think there’s a lot of life in the [Xbox 360] for years to come.”

So, will you be keeping your Xbox 360 as advised? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. CyberMarco

No shit!

#1 11 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

I’m about to run out of fingers, here! How many boxes is that, now ;)

#2 11 months ago
  3. orakaa

Translation: #dealwithit

Between this and their plans to make gamers pay more for used games (we don’t know if they’ll keep it but at least for the moment it is planned), do they REALLY think gamers became rich?

Don’t they know that MANY gamers trade their older console in order to finance the new one? Heck, most of the promotions I see at GAMES or other retailers work based on that “Sell your older console to get the new one cheaper”.

No compatibility for disc games… okay, why not, but XBLA? It’s bullsh*t.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Goffee

So, you will need one cable/FREEVIEW/satellite box, one Xbox 360, and One Xbox One (excluding PlayStations, Wiis and the like).

Is this some advanced form of maths that us shaved apes don’t get?

#4 11 months ago
  5. bugmenot

Pretty obvious.

It’s the same for current PSN games on the PlayStation 4, you won’t be able to play them either except for some which Sony may port onto the PS4.

#5 11 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

So, plug the 360 into the XB1 and…happy days? Hmm.

I’m a gamer, but not a techy; isn’t there some form of emulation that could allow all of the old XBLA games to run on the XB1? Surely it’s powerful enough. Is this a tech problem that just can’t be overcome or is this purely a case of forcing people to, in some cases, buy their favorite games twice?

#6 11 months ago
  7. Kanok

Of cause, I’ll keep my 360 :D

#7 11 months ago
  8. M. K.

@4: As far as I know Sony is going to use Gaikai tech in some way to make the PS4 backwards compatible. So atleast there’s an idea to make it happen somehow instead of saying f*** you to the customers, like MS does in the past several weeks :D

#8 11 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

“I think the [Xbox 360] is going to be very vibrant for many years,” he said. “In fact, we have a huge, I think it’s huge, [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can’t.”

I think this is a better story than the captain obvious nonsense.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Francis O

Anybody who buys a X-bone is a idiot. This console screws the consumer on a daily basis.

Can’t transfer games from the Xbox 360
    Gotta pay a fee for used games
    Gotta pay for Xbox Live when Sony, Steam, and Nintendo are free
    Forcing you to pay for Kinect
    No backwards compatibility of any kind: Games, controllers
    Limited form of DRM – checks every 24 hours

No amount of games can save this console to me. Paying for Xbox Live is just crazy. I already pay for internet, why do I have to pay for playing a game online? MS can keep their trash.

#10 11 months ago
  11. RandomTiger

You can always plug your 360 into the XBONE HDMI in and pretend.

#11 11 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

@10:

YEAH!

You tell ‘em Francis!

Let’s repeat exactly the same stuff in the next 9000 X1 articles, just in case people didn’t get it the first time!

#12 11 months ago
  13. Tech-N9ne

The silliness of some of you Sony fanbois on this site is amazing.

What’s the difference with this and PS3 games on the PS4? Nothing.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Irani

Long Live Microsoft , Shame to Sony , Sony Is Loser And Mendacious

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Looks like your here for your daily dosage of your anti-Xbone campaign, the console doesn’t mess with anyone if they buy it thats that, the consumer is only screwed if the console doesn’t do what it was set out to do which is play games or is misled about Xbone. Oh and no offence but the games you want are on certain platforms. I said this before please link to me where MS says you have to pay for XBL on the One and the fee is Paided by retailers not gamers, gamers pay what the retailers charges them. No BC is not screwing its cost cutting.

#15 11 months ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Exactly.

You’ll find the same guys who go rabid about ‘always online’, jumping for joy about how amazing Gaikai is going to be for Sony.

You have to wonder what these guys are smoking…

#16 11 months ago
  17. Lloytron

Personally I don’t think BC is that big of a deal – If I get XBone then I’ll just keep my 360 under the TV too.

But the stinger here is that the key line of the reveal, and reasoning behind the name, is that you only need one box for all your entertainment needs…. oh yeah and your 360 :D

#17 11 months ago
  18. polygem

“you are you” and we are us…now deal with it.

#18 11 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

@12, 15

To be fair to Francis, he is only commenting on the stories VG247 are publishing regarding the Xbox One.

Although everyone’s getting nicely conditioned into the ‘deal with it’ mentality (or didn’t care for B/C in the first place), this is still shitty news for many people, whichever way you look at it.

I have a PS3, Wii U, 360 and XBMC PC under my TV at the moment, there is zero room for another console unless I swap one out.

If I do buy a PS4 it’s going to have to swap out my PS3 Phat, and likewise, if I buy an Xbox One it will have to swap out the 360…

This is pretty shitty as my friends and i play alot of XBLA games; Trials, Castle Crashers etc… etc… Same goes for PS3 & PSN (not as much as XBLA though).

I have just bought titles like ‘Monaco’, it would be a good feature to transfer titles like this over, especially as they are already on Steam and conversion to Xbox one wouldn’t be that difficult.

I can just see the evevitable future of MS / Sony trying to ‘re sell’ you games you have already purchased a year down the line…

Good point! lol :)

#19 11 months ago
  20. redwood

xbone wont run 360′s game that has been cleared up before.. why is this a shock to anyone.. besides bc is very expensive.. i dont expect it in ps4 either

#20 11 months ago
  21. Samoan Spider

@19 Whilst I agree it’s shite news, the ‘big’ announcement he’s talking about may be the breakout box that was rumoured a while back which would negate any of the issues raised here.

Also, @16 I was wondering the same thing. “Loser xbox owners have to be always online blah blah but I love my always online Gakai!” I don’t think the fanboy’s have really thought through their rhetoric fully. Basing assumptions heavily on fanboy propagated rumours and speculation is just foolish. In the words of Jack Nicholson “Can’t we all just…..get along?”

#21 11 months ago
  22. Francis O

Legendarydamagecontrol

- What the hell do you mean?

This X-Bone forces you to pay for Kinect. I Don’t think all Xbox 360 wanted that. How about DRM? Did Xbox consumers want that?

Stop damage controlling the X-Bone, the console is a glorified TV box

#22 11 months ago
  23. DrDamn

Have they said whether your Live account can be valid for the two systems? I.e. if you have and pay for Gold for MP on 360 will that still be valid for Gold and MP on XBOne? (or vice versa)

#23 11 months ago
  24. SplatteredHouse

@13: “What’s the difference with this and PS3 games on the PS4? Nothing.

@8 Says Gaikai, really? so your gonna re-purchase all you PSN games pay for Gaikai and that’s not saying F you to customers?”

Just as much as owners of games playable across Vita and PS3 had to purchase multiple licenses… The difference is that Sony has a history of facilitating and supporting Cross-Play, whilst Microsoft does not. It apparently seems not to as much as recognize the concept, and they’re not showing signs of evolving, yet.

#24 11 months ago
  25. The_Red

Thank god. I was worried that my 360 will lose current compatibility. This is great news for Xbox One.

#25 11 months ago
  26. ps3fanboy

micro$haft repeat it YET again to their dumb xbots… HA HA!

#26 11 months ago
  27. M. K.

@13: I don’t know how it’s going to work, no one knows, but like I said, atleast there’s an idea ;)

(couldn’t care less about both tbh, just stating some facts ;))

#27 11 months ago
  28. Irani

American People Never Buy PS4 , Just Buy Xbox One , For Protectionism , For Your Country

#28 11 months ago
  29. ps3fanboy

@28 the mcdonalds,doritos and mountain dew have rot their brains..

#29 11 months ago
  30. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You said: “Gotta pay a fee for used games” I said: “the fee is Paided by retailers not gamers, gamers pay what the retailers charges them.” You said: “Gotta pay for Xbox Live when Sony, Steam, and Nintendo are free” I said: “please link to me where MS says you have to pay for XBL on the Xbone” I am not damage controlling anything unlike you i see things from the factual POV not the biased one. Wait until E3 if the focus is on TV which they stated it won’t i will let that slide.

#30 11 months ago
  31. MadFlavour

Keep your 360, stop paying for live and buying stuff for it, and don’t buy an xbox one. Suggests me.

#31 11 months ago
  32. viralshag

@22, And PS4 owners are going to be paying for the Eye, which also comes packaged with the console. What’s the difference?

#32 11 months ago
  33. mistermogul

@17 – lol, good point!

“But the stinger here is that the key line of the reveal, and reasoning behind the name, is that you only need one box for all your entertainment needs…. oh yeah and your 360″

#33 11 months ago
  34. AmiralPatate

I think Microsoft is throwing away a features that most people can definitely live without to launch their Xbox One as cheap as possible.
    And it’s probably a better idea than packing it with expensive features that will be thrown away in a latter version for cost reduction.

And I think they’re conserving ammo for their E3 conference, which is rather smart. They presented the console and key features. Now, all this is out of the way. So there’s only one focus for their E3: games. So while Sony will have to spare time to discuss hardware, they won’t.

#34 11 months ago
  35. viralshag

@34, This is true but they do seem to have long slots during the day so I don’t think covering the hardware will take that long. Same goes to features. That is, if they cover any of these at all. There’s nothing to stop Sony from doing an Xbox One style event pre-launch to drum up some more interest.

The still have to actually reveal the console and what it looks like. Again though, that wouldn’t take too long. I just hope you’re right about MS and showing a game-packed presentation. I will be disappointed if that’s not the case.

#35 11 months ago
  36. Francis O

Legendarydamagecontrol

If you borrow a game from your friend. You have to pay to unlock that game on the X-Bone. That is a fee for a used game that the consumer pays.

Used games come from stores and friends. I’ve borrowed many games from my brother and friends. And MS is trying to tell me I have to pay to unlock the game that has ALREADY been purchased.

F*ck off Microsoft. Don’t damage control that shit. Are you stupid Legendary? Do you want Sony to do this, if MS has their way, we won’t really own our games!

#36 11 months ago
  37. AmiralPatate

I was more thinking about overshadowing the rest of their presentation. I mean, once you’ll see the PS4, it may very well be the only thing you’ll remember. Or maybe it won’t, we’ll see how it turns out. MS have this out of their way, so at least we’re sure it won’t be an issue for them.
    Then again, maybe showing the PS4 will have the opposite effect: overshadowing the Xbox One.

If you’re not going to buy new games, they’re not going to see your money anyway. Why should they care about you then?

#37 11 months ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

@Francis Take a read at either links:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one or the shorter version: https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336936354913071104

Now instead of being here, why don’t you go a praise Nintendo’s good graces in Japan like a good Nintendroid :D I buy most of my games new so it won’t be a problem.

#38 11 months ago
  39. viralshag

@37, To be honest, people not bothered about a particular brand will take away the best bits from both. It’s only forumites and fanboys that will be talking one or the other up and trying to throw mud on whichever one they don’t like.

I just hope both will spend a good amount of time on games as E3 will probably be the turning point for me on making a decision as at the moment I’m not sold on either of them and only one will definitely get my money.

#39 11 months ago
  40. manamana

From the looks of it, it’ll be my last Xbox. At least for a long time to come …

#40 11 months ago
  41. Fin

#firstworldproblems

#41 11 months ago
  42. manamana

^ http://youtu.be/SJmZtn8vmt8

#42 11 months ago
  43. AmiralPatate

I’m a PC guy, so I don’t care that much about the whole ordeal. I just want Microsoft to announce Xbox One games will be playable on Windows.
    But that may be wishful thinking :)

#43 11 months ago
  44. viralshag

@43, I’m mostly a PC gamer too these days but I’m just hoping if Sony and MS are going more down the digital route, they will take some tips from Steam and PC digital pricing.

If I could get competitive digital prices and aggressive sales through either of their own online stores, I would happily never go to a retail store again. I’m use to no trading/swapping/pre-owned because of being a PC gamer, so all the stuff being listed as a “negative” for MS at the moment, means very little to me.

But I think me hoping for Steam-like prices is probably wishful thinking on my part! :P

#44 11 months ago
  45. dizzygear

ONE box is all you need eh Microsoft?

#45 11 months ago
  46. hitnrun

No one really expected BWC to 360 once they announced the change in architecture and data format – though that doesn’t mean we’d be obliged to buy the console just because we understood – but there’s no reason to obviate XBLA purchases. The problem is strictly a relatively inexpensive software matter and there’s no good reason except that MS wants to do a “soft wipe” on XBLA libraries to sell us the stuff again.

Even if you want to hold the line that, you know, running XNA on the new architecture is *totally undoable* or would make the system *really expensive*, do you really think DOOM isn’t coming out in the first year for $10? Of course it is. Do you think the fact that MS can see that you already purchased the DOOM license for XBLA – something that costs them effectively $0 to cross-reference – will afford you any kind of discount on the title for Xbone Live? Of course it won’t.

#46 11 months ago
  47. Fin

Man I fuckin love O Brother Where art Thou!!

Seriously though, you have to keep your old console plugged into the TV? Cry me a river.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Francis O

VG247DamageControl

#48 11 months ago
  49. Cobra951

Oh look. I have to keep an older console to play older-console games. What a shock that is.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Khan979

I think paying for a gold subscription on live is BS just to be able to play online with friends, but never the less, I pay for it.

My biggest gripe is that in order for my son to play online with his profile, on the same damn box I already pay for live on, I have to pay for a second subscription. Live should be tied to the x-box in a way that allows anyone using it to play online with their own profile.

Luckily for me it’s just my son and I using it, but in a bigger family, this would utterly blow. Hopefully they change this on the xbone, but i doubt it….that would mean less money in their pocket.

#50 11 months ago
  51. airsick7

Wow, what a vibrant ecosystem it will be. I can’t wait to have two kinects under my tv. Sweet!

#51 11 months ago
  52. airsick7

I just had a thought. Excuse me if this has already been addressed. But if I wasn’t interested in the “tv tv tv” side of Xbox One, could they find a way to use the HDMI IN to let the One and the 360 communicate? Essentially turning the 360 into a glorified HD-DVD add on but for 360 games…

#52 11 months ago