Call of Duty Ghosts: new engine also brings changes to current gen editions

Thursday, 30th May 2013 10:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Ghosts may be a cross-gen release, but Infinity Ward’s Mark Rubin has confirmed that while the game’s enhanced engine has been seen running on Xbox One, many of its new innovations will appear on PS3 and Xbox 360 as well.

In a video interview with IGN, Rubin said, “The new engine actually also applies to current-gen. We didn’t mention that, but I do want to say that the new engine does affect current-gen.

“We do get a lot of benefit from this new engine on current-gen; lots of improvements to visual fidelity, but on next-gen we’ve got to bring in this new tech – a lot of it geared to stuff we’ve been seeing already in pre-rendered CG.”

Elsewhere Rubin said that the game’s single-player campaign will let players ‘customise’ levels as they go, which will involve doing things that can create sub-missions, and different twists on the story. It’s a system that sounds similar to the variables in the Black Ops 2 campaign.

What do you make of the above? Does the idea of a shifting narrative interest you? Let us know below.

1. Lengendaryboss

Is it really a new engine or a heavily modified one?

#1 11 months ago
  2. MidlifeAxe

@1 It’s been ‘upgraded’. Nothing new at all.

Quite stupid how they keep referring to it as ‘new’ when they’ve said it themselves before that it’s just an heavily upgraded version of the existing engine.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 I wouldn’t say ‘nothing’. It looks brilliant.

#3 11 months ago
  4. MidlifeAxe

@3 But the way they’re referring to it, it makes it sound like they’ve ripped the entire thing out and started from scratch.

#4 11 months ago
  5. ballz

#5 11 months ago
  6. Djoenz

Yeah ten year old heavily tweeked engine. Seriously I dont give a crap about graphics, but I really wanted them to go brand new for next gen. This feels cheap.

I will probably go BF4.

#6 11 months ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

@3, really? It looks the same old to me. Very unimpressed. The only difference I could see was that the very small snippets of MP looked like they’ve gone the battlefield route and put a filter over everything. Looks even more brown and grey.

#7 11 months ago
  8. MidlifeAxe

@6 I know! This was a perfect opportunity to change engines, but nope.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Edo

@3 Brilliant is not a word I would use but to each his own I guess.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Erthazus

It’s not new. It’s the same old POS that you are playing since the first Call Of Duty.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 What happens if people really like the series man?

Also, I said ‘looks’ brilliant. It might play like shit for all we know. Big difference in context.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Djoenz

It doesnt look brilliant either xD
    Gameplay will probably be the same.
    SP will probably be weak. I loved COD, but lately its all the same just different appearances.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@Dave
    Oh i feel sorry for you outnumbered by people who dislike COD, the only new addition is a Dog which granted might bring something new to COD:
    Like this maybe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL4E025B7B221D38D0&v=3mKM3nVnfCg#t=18s

#13 11 months ago
  14. Erthazus

@11, “What happens if people really like the series man?”

More power to them. They can also delude themselves and buy Xbox One for CoD:Ghosts and think that it is a next gen game.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Dave Cook

@14 How are they deluding themselves if they’re playing something they genuinely enjoy?

#15 11 months ago
  16. Erthazus

@14, Because there are much better products on the market, but if they are blind and don’t see a better product. Not my problem. More power to their wallets.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Dave Cook

@16 “they are blind and don’t see a better product”

Says who?

#17 11 months ago
  18. Djoenz

Dave which platform do you play COD on and which titles have you played the most? Which title are you currently playing?

Please tell me you are a run and gunner type of player who never uses silencers? :p

#18 11 months ago
  19. The_Red

@Dave, I don’t know what you see in these graphics (Gameplay could go either way but the visuals…). The Ghosts footage looked worse than some current gen console games, let alone PC titles.

(I am not dissing on COD fans. I’m actually kinda one of them and have played them all except for COD3. There is nothing wrong with the gameplay but to call these so-so and current-gen looking graphics brilliant feels odd to me).

#19 11 months ago
  20. Dave Cook

“The Ghosts footage looked worse than some current gen console games”

Insanity :P They look miles better than current-gen CoD games, easily. I’m not saying it’s an incredible game, but it’s increasingly becoming a series I can’t openly enjoy without having someone take a dig at me. Pathetic (not aimed at anyone here!)

@18 Black Ops 2 (love it), I run with twin B23Rs and nothing else. I pick up other people’s guns mid-match to switch things up. I’m a cunt :D

#20 11 months ago
  21. Djoenz

Haha Dave if you dont have the diamond camos you are not a pro! but I bet you have them already ;)

#21 11 months ago
  22. Dave Cook

@21 I don’t have diamond on any class, only gold weapons I have are the AN-94 and the B23Rs.

I know, such a loser eh? ;)

#22 11 months ago
  23. The_Red

@Dave
    Oh no, I didn’t mean current gen COD games. I meant other titles like Crysis 2 on PS3 or Battlefield and MOH on 360.

As I said, I wasn’t taking a dig at you since I also enjoy COD gameplay (Though lately, I prefer the Treyarch ones. BLOPS1 is my fave). My point was about Ghosts looking brilliant compared to current gen titles like BF and such. I mean, it looked a hell of a lot worse than Killzone SF and that game itself didn’t look anything special or superb compared to real next-gen visuals of something like Witcher 3 or Unreal E4 demos.

#23 11 months ago
  24. MidlifeAxe

@20 Haha, I was saying this the other day on here on a FUSE article. Some people will admit they like a game hated by the majority and get attacked for it.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Dave Cook

@23 ” I wasn’t taking a dig at you”

I know :)

You’re right on Unreal Engine 4, and to think we haven’t scratched the surface of what the engine will be capable of down the line. Exciting times :D

#25 11 months ago
  26. RobsStang

@24 – How can the game be “hated by the majority” and still be the biggest selling game franchise of all time ?

If you don’t like COD don’t buy it simple – but don’t feel the need to troll every COD article with your BS.

#26 11 months ago
  27. MidlifeAxe

@26 Woah. By “hated by the majority”, I was speaking in terms of this site – maybe the wrong way to phrase it.

I like CoD and I own nearly every title. If I am wrong, please correct me, but I don’t “troll every CoD article” with my BS.

If you don’t fully understand what I’m getting at, you can just ask me to clarify what I’m trying to say. I got no problem with that. You don’t have to get your panties in a twist and cut my throat.

#27 11 months ago
  28. bitsnark

I have precisely zero interest in the multiplayer of the Call of Duty games, but I’ll always play the things because I need my annual fixture of Michael Bay esque OTT Hollywood silliness.

In that way, they scratch my itch and even being a staunch Battlefield fan (ironically for opposite reasons), I still can’t bring myself to ‘hate’ (a strong word lest we forget) the franchise or shit on others for liking it.

Life’s just too short.

#28 11 months ago
  29. ps3fanboy

i welcome screen tearing and framerate hell. blurry distance view and low textures…. you just gotta love it when they try squeeze it to fit on the lastgen consoles.

#29 11 months ago
  30. AlphaGamingNerd

activision needs to look up what a new engine is & the sad part the cod drones are fine with it LOL

#30 11 months ago
  31. RobsStang

@27 – Sorry about that – I guess I misread your post and assumed it was like the rest in here. My Bad.

#31 11 months ago
  32. MidlifeAxe

@32 No worries, dude.

#32 11 months ago
  33. Da Man

Erzabota javno zaklinilo.

Socialnaja izolirovannost eto ne shutki.

Haloperidol, bistro.

Net voobshe koneshno.. chetire ebanih goda odno i to zhe dermo pisat v internete.. Ebanuti urod, realno

#33 11 months ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

I think i can add a point to the appeal of COD: when i was riding on the bus in the UK’s wonderful and not at all confusing weather (Rain) i overheard a conversation on the bus a few secondary school kids talking about the COD: Ghosts reveal: you know what they said: can’t wait to dive into multiplayer, the game is the most visually impressive game they have seen, they loved the dog debut and can’t wait to see what tricks it will bring into the campaign and then to be honest i couldn’t listen anymore due to the fact i was on the verge of laughing :D so plugged in music and that was the end of that.
    The moral of that short story is A. COD is played under 18 year olds B. not aware of others games that supercede COD and the rest i leave you to think about.

#34 11 months ago