Retro Studios next game is a new IP – rumour

Wednesday, 29th May 2013 10:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios may be working on an entirely new IP, according to a rumour triggered by an IGN video.

The rumour came from this video, which focuses on Super Metroid, and at around the 24-minute mark you can hear one of the staffers saying, “I’ve heard rumours that Retro’s game is a new brand.”

click this time link to skip to the quote in question. The clip is watermarked so I won’t embed it in full here.

What do you think they might be working on? Is the rumour unlikely? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Francis O

I would personally like Metroid Prime 4 or a game in the Metroid universe.

However, i’ll take whatever these guys make. There one of the best developers in the world.

#Shutupandtakemymoney

#1 1 year ago
  2. Bomba Luigi

Metroid is kinda messed up after Other M, sadly. I doubt they touch that too soon, new IP would possibly the Best Thing. I like Nintendos IPs, but they really could need some new ones.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

I’m more excited about Retro’s new game than anything else in the gaming universe right now and that includes Xbone/PS4…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Francis O

@2 A couple of new Ips from Nintendo to try out

1. Xenoblade
    2. The Last Story
    3. Pandora’s Tower
    4. Harmo Knight
    5. Dillions Rolling Western
    6. The Wonderful 101 -September
    7. Pushmo/Crashmo

Nintendo has plenty of new IPs, they just don’t make the headlines as much as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, ect

#4 1 year ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@4, I’m not surprised with those names.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Bomba Luigi

@4: I know, but most of them are not really a big Shot. The only one of that who really is the Mario/Zelda/Metroid kind of Big Shot Game is Xenoblade, which is pure Glory.

Don’t get me wrong, stuff like Harmo Knight is great Fun, but its far away from that AAA Stuff or whatever we call the Big Ones these Days. New IPs who can Compare with the Big Names of Nintendo are really Rare, and Retro Studios really can do something like that, because they are Awesome+2.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Musashi

@4 Still crediting Nintendo with games made by people other than Nintendo I see. Your argue FACTS! DETAILS! when critiquing other platforms but when it comes to Nintendo you’re happy to play fast and loose so that they’re given more credit. Remember 3rd party and 2nd party is not the same as first party.

But that’s besides the point. Retro have yet to put a foot wrong and I’ve enjoyed everything they’ve done. DKCR being my favourite Wii game – despite the needless waggle. Their new game announce will be instant megaton.

JM

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@JM
    You beat me to it :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. LTheBlackKnight

I wanna see a Metroid game finally take place after Fusion after all these years. Or one in the vein of the original Dead Space. Ohhhh yeah. I’d kill for that <3

#9 1 year ago