PS4: Vita remote-play support mandatory for all games

Wednesday, 29th May 2013 17:16 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 titles must all support PS Vita remote-play functionality, and the only exception is games that use the PS4 Eye camera.

Noted as a rumor earlier, the news was confirmed by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter.

“Yes, it’s true unless the game requires specific hardware like the camera,” he said.. “It will be great to play PS4 games on PS Vita.”

The original information came froma Eurogamer Digital Foundry report, which stated: “A trusted PlayStation 4 developer source with a proven track record for accuracy has told Digital Foundry that Sony has mandated Vita Remote Play for all upcoming PS4 games – except those that require the use of its bundled stereoscopic camera, the PS4 Eye.”

Such a move could propel interest in PS Vita handhelds moving forward, providing the same brand of off-TV play currently employed on Wii U.

The earlier report added that cross-play between PS4 and PS Vita will downscale the, “1080p framebuffer to the Vita’s native 960×544 resolution, using the PS4′s in-built hardware h.264 video encoder to compress the image”, which is then transferred to the handheld via Wi-fi.

Would you use this feature? Would it make you more inclined to buy a PS Vita? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. matirishhh

Yes, yes and one more time – YES!
    Only problem is the R2 and L2 which are replaced by the rear touch panel but we will manage. Will We?
    I have 42″ tv but I still prefer to chill out and play on my balcony! Way cooler feeling.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mistermogul

That’s awesome if true and something I’d definitely make use of.

I think it’s the best feature of Wii U and something that you find difficult to live without once you get used to it.

Going back to my X360 and realising I can’t play my games while the gf watches TV seems quite backwards!

Well done Sony you have piqued my interest even more in PS4…

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

I’m with you. YES! Finally.
    It sounds bad but I think Sony needs to do this to make the features they promise to mean something.

PS4 is looking like it’ll be a beast of a machine.

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

This is exactly why I bought my vita. I anticipated this to happen with either ps3 or 4 and would rather have the tech on hand ahead of time then to scraggle trying to buy the entire package later and complain. Glad my prediction was right

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

This is pretty interesting but at what cost? Unless there are some awesome PS4+Vita bundles, this isn’t going to be worth it for most consumers (Especially since by the time PS4 comes out, Wii U could drop to 300 or even 250 in terms of off-TV console experiences).

#5 1 year ago
  6. mark_t50

This has me very interested in finally getting a Vita. I’m just holding out in the hopes of a price cut for both the Vita and its memory cards, fingers crossed they announce something at E3.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

Cost should never be evaluated for a single feature though. It’s simply another good feature if you have both machines. By itself it doesn’t need to be worth £500. If you are considering a Vita anyway and this tips you over the edge then that’s a good thing.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bitsnark

Don’t you mean Remote Play instead of Cross Play Dave? :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. mistermogul

@7 +1

#9 1 year ago
  10. CyberMarco

What would I give to be able to play my Steam library with remote-play on Vita.

Anyhow, another box ticked for me regarding the PS4/PS Vita. :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. The_Red

While I agree about most single features, the off-TV play is something bigger IMO. It is the whole point of a new console (Wii U, sure there is unique multiplayer experiences but I’m a singleplayer type of gamer).

To me, that feature alone could justify the cost. Of course, some sweet exclusives will definitely help.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

Oh sure if it’s something you’ll make use of it’s a huge feature and all games having to support it is great. Bundle deals aren’t going to be cheap though. Hopefully a price cut post E3 and you can pick up the Vita then and save for the PS4 on release – spread the cost :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. livewired500

Well I was thinking about getting a vita. Sold. Will get one now for sure

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

I am definitely looking forward to that. While not useful for all games (I don’t want to play fighters with Vita / controller), a lot of them could really benefit me in this case. The reason I’m looking forward to bundles is because some times, they offer a good deal for both products but hey, spreading the costs is a must, especially for someone who is also a Steam addict.

#14 1 year ago
  15. xino

sounds good.
    i will wait for E3 and see what Sony will announce for it.
    so far it’s pointless to get a Vita, it just lacks good games or good varieties of games.

if this turns out to be true, then it’s gonna be fun, and having the 3G model will be worth it!

unless if you go to cafe, Asda, shopping centre etc with free wifi then you can use your VIta RP

#15 1 year ago
  16. VibraniumSpork

I picked up a Vita once Sony started talking about this at the PS4 ‘reveal’ event. They seem to want to use the PS4 to help boost sales and, alongside the release of Vita exclusive AAA titles like Tearaway and Killzone: Mercenary, they might have a decent shot.

Still, I hope they implement this with a pretty robust architecture. I’ve been playing God of War HD via PS3 Remote Play and there’s some definite lag involved, even when I’m sitting like 6ft away from the PS3 and Router. Anyone else experience this? Or is my Router just a piece of ****?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ireland Michael

I can definitely get behind this.

Now please don’t screw up the DRM, Sony…

#17 1 year ago
  18. matirishhh

@VibraniumSpork I had the same problem with ICO, it was OK but lag + quality of the video wasn’t great enough. But with PS4 and h264 sony might be able to pulls this off! Fingers crossed, touch wood, salt behind my arm etc.. :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. OlderGamer

Remote play is nice, no doubt. I enjoy playing WiiU games like that. However. However using the WiiUs gamepad as a second screen to be able to adjust in game things(from WR passing routes, football coverage) to use of menues and maps and inventory is where the real value is at imo. If Vita does THAT is All of PS4 games(or even most) I will own one.

Not hating, just saying. Vita already allows gaming without a TV. Still remote play is nice. Very nice. But a second screen is much better. I agree that once you get used to having the WiiU GamePad features, it is hard to not have them. Feels like something is missing to not have them.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

@16 & @18
    I actually found God of war very playable with no noticeable lag on my set-up. Worked really well. Previous experience with older games was fairly poor to middling, this was really good though.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

“I think they will be putting some Gaikai tech in there for PS4 too to help with latency issues.”

Ha! No. Using a cloud system will only exacerbate the latency issue not lessen it.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DrDamn

They can mandate this as it doesn’t cost anything for the machine to do due to the extra chips, they won’t mandate second screen use. With it none standard I can’t see it catching on much if they did use it. Hopefully the implementation will be better integrated this time too – I think they’ve already indicated it will be.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

Remote play is essentially cloud gaming but with the PS4 being the server. Gaikai have tech/software techniques which can easily translate to making the PS4 -> Vita remote play a better experience. I’m not talking about using cloud servers.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Phoenixblight

Except the Ps4 is right there in the same local area as you where Galkai servers can be 50+ miles away.

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

I am not talking about using the Gaikai servers, just the same techniques and ideas applied to the Remote Play feature. What are you finding tricky to understand here. Gaikai tech is in software not just hardware.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Samoan Spider

Looks like an excellent feature and definitely a big tick in the box for me!

@10 I love that idea, and I’d pay proper money to do it too :). Pipe dream
    though me thinks.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Ireland Michael

@24 That doesn’t change the fact that the content is still being digitally streamed to the device from a separate client… which is exactly the definition of cloud gaming.

Heck, even the PSP allowed you to do that over the Internet. I would often visit my parents and watch videos from my PS3 sitting back at my own place on my PSP. I don’t own a Vita yet, but I imagine it can do the same.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Phoenixblight

Its related to encoding/decoding, compression of data specifically to go through a network from user to servers. There is no need for that on the remote play it would be like using a firehose to put out a lighter.

I wasn’t aware you could do that with a PSP use your Ps3 at home while away on your PSP though it seems like a waste to run a machine at home to use on a device at home especially with smart phones and tablets.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@28 Remote play can be used over the Internet. At least it could on the PSP. Can anyone tell me if this is the case on the Vita?

It doesn’t *have* to go through a separate network for encoding/decoding before reaching your computer to be constituted as cloud gaming though. That’s just an arbitrary distinction that you decided to apply to the definition yourself.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Phoenixblight

I wasn’t talking about the definition of cloud I was talking about the techniques Galkai uses. That’s why it was bought.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Stephany Nunneley

It’s been confirmed by Shu himself. Post updated.

#31 1 year ago
  32. DrDamn

When at home you connect via WiFi on your network, you can also connect over the internet too. You can access other content on the PS3 too, videos, music etc. I think you can wake up and shut it down too.

Why wouldn’t it help on a home network? It’s a network. If it helps on a slow network it will still help on a fast one.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Sini

$50 price cut and at least 4gb memory bundled and im buying sony. Don’t let nintendo do first price cut or you lost me.

#33 1 year ago
  34. CaptPierce

Now that this has been confirmed, I wilL DEFINITELY pick me up both of these! Vita’s a great system with about 4 games worth playing, but is a brilliant move!

Your move, Microsoft.

#34 1 year ago
  35. NeoSquall

This poses a serious question for me:
    Should I wait for a post-E3 Vita price drop or maybe wait for eventual PS4 + PS Vita bundles?

#35 1 year ago
  36. No_PUDding

I don’t care about Vita. Peace out :D

#36 1 year ago
  37. Lengendaryboss

@36 You cared enough to comment, so….

#37 1 year ago
  38. Ballisticon

How about they just stream to this: http://shield.nvidia.com/

I don’t know why Sony gimicked the Vita with that stupid touch sensitive back panel when they KNEW this was going to be a big part of PS4. They should just redesign the HW or buy Shield from NVidia and give gamers what they really want. The Vita is such a disaster piece of HW (and software) that it really makes me question even getting a PS4.

#38 1 year ago
  39. SlayerGT

I have a Vita. I’m definitely buying a PS4. While I have no interest in remote play too much, I might use this..why not? :)

#39 1 year ago
  40. Cobra951

Am I the only one seeing a problem with this? It’s fine to encourage the functionality, but to *require* it places extra burdens on developers. That’s the last thing they want to do when launching a new console. They want to attract developers and make things as easy for them as possible, particularly as they’re ramping up on the vagaries of a new system. Plus it’s like requiring multiplayer in every game. Some games are just not well suited to it, and crowbaring it in hurts the overall result.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Phoenixblight

“Am I the only one seeing a problem with this? It’s fine to encourage the functionality, but to *require* it places extra burdens on developers. ”

Just like Nintendo requires all developers to use the Wii U pad or that MS will require some type of functionality with the kinect.

#41 1 year ago
  42. KineticCalvaria

@40, only same as WiiU really.

@41, you darn ninja, you!

#42 1 year ago
  43. DrDamn

I suspect there would be very little extra needed to support this. It doesn’t use extra resources, it just replicates what would be on the main screen and maps the Vita controls to the game controls. It shouldn’t require much more than enabling and checking it works.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Da Man

Smartglass on Sony Posv.

Continuing the tradition of pioneering gaming, right alongside online and swapped left analog stick.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Ireland Michael

@44 Except its absolutely nothing like Smartglass or the Wii U Pad at all.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Da Man

You’re right, Smartglass is more cool.

#46 1 year ago
  47. SlayerGT

@46 Hahaha! :D I like that.

#47 1 year ago
  48. sg1974

Don’t feed the Sony-obsessed troll.

#48 1 year ago
  49. LTheBlackKnight

Really looking forward to playing MGS V: The Phantom Pain, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Killzone: Shadow Fall and InFamous: Second Son on the Vita <3

#49 1 year ago