Xbox One: live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

Tuesday, 21st May 2013 20:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s live TV fucntionality will only be available in the US at launch, a press release from Microsoft has confirmed.

A release sent to VG247 this evening confirms that Live TV with Kinect navigation, Live TV with One Guide, Trending, and NFL on Xbox will only be available in North America at launch. The release added that Microsoft anticipates a global roll-out over time.

As shown in the Microsoft reveal stream, and confirmed in the release, “Live TV will require a supported receiver device with HDMI output,” which is sold separately.

The release describes Xbox One’s TV functions as follows, “Navigate and watch live TV from your cable, telco or satellite set-top box through your Xbox One. Microsoft is committed to bringing live TV through various solutions to all the markets where Xbox One will be available”.

The paragraph is littered with footnotes that confirm the US-only launch for the features, and reiterates the need for a second device.

What do you make of the above then?

1. Joe Anderson

My fault as I misinterpreted, obviously HDMI out is a cable box, sat dish etc

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

Hahaha what.

The hits just keep on coming. “Buy our system, then buy these add-on devices to make use of stuff we showed off during our conference!”

#2 1 year ago
  3. totallysane

@2 yep
    I had a feeling something extra was required, OF COURSE it won’t come with the system! haha fail

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Hmmmm.

#4 1 year ago
  5. CaptPierce

I LOVEEEE how they didn’t tell anyone that!
    Haha the more I’m hearing from this, the less I want it. And I live in the US too.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

That needs to be clearer. Is it an additional MS device or like #1 said, through whatever service you already have?

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps3fanboy

THERE IS ONLY ONE REAL GAMING SYSTEM THIS GEN AND ITS THE PS4!

#7 1 year ago
  8. gomersoul

yes! microsoft have been shown for the shower of shit they are. beautiful

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

I’m shocked that they showed this single region, not even close to being a gaming related function of first before they even started talking about games.

What a waste.

#9 1 year ago
  10. salarta

If it’s simply a matter of “you need to have the same necessary cords you’d need for a normal hook-up of cable/dish to the TV,” then it’s fine. Right now, it reads like you need to go out of your way to buy a special device just to make it compatible.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Beta

So the main thing they were waffling on about isn’t even included…

Between this and the pre owned charge I feel annoyance rising.

Sony shareholders are impressed anyway ;) http://www.geek.com/games/sonys-stock-price-explodes-as-first-details-of-xbox-one-drop-1555983/

#11 1 year ago
  12. shaolinsword

Am I alone in being concerned that we’re finding out a lot more details about the console on news articles like these rather than the presentation?

#12 1 year ago
  13. The_Red

So it’s a “US Box”. Seriously, the whole thing felt beyond US oriented.

#13 1 year ago
  14. CaptPierce

This.

#14 1 year ago
  15. salarta

@12: I think what we’re finding out more details through articles on is where Microsoft is doing things wrong. Microsoft naturally focused on the things they believe they are doing right, to push out the propaganda hard, but wouldn’t want to say with millions of people watching that “You won’t be able to do this right away unless you live in the U.S., oh and you need to buy another device anyway.”

What was seen in the main conference was the big advertisement meant to wow people to buy in. What we’re seeing in news articles is the fine print of the contract.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Hunam

Seeing as freeview is built into TV’s these days, UK support is going to be… interesting.

#16 1 year ago
  17. JRNO

Couldn’t care less really. None of this was going to make it to Nordic contries anyway. Or perhaps I’m being a bit harsh – they did bring out some rental apps for 360 some two or three years after their initial launch in the States.

I also didn’t see them adressing the value of Xbox Live [Gold] being a paid service. I was hoping they would finally give up on having to pay a subscription fee (even if it’s only ~50€ direct from MS or far about 38€ you know where to look) to access multiplayer, but that talk about more servers being built doesn’t exactly speak to that fee being removed.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Quige

@12, can’t say I’m concerned as such, but you definitely seem to be right.

I zoned out for a lot of it as it was sport related, and mostly American sports at that. The Live TV stuff seemed dubious as I was watching it, as it didn’t seem likely they would be shipping a UK version with built in DVB-T2 Freeview HD tuners! Not everyone has Sky after all.

MS talk the talk about being a global company but time after time they just concentrate on providing services for the US and then half-heartedly eventually getting around to doing the bare minimum for the rest of the world. I mean how long did it take them to get BBC iplayer on the system.

I was disappointed not to hear more about Live as well. It’s surely time for a bit of a revamp, what with PS+ offering free games and so on to subscribers. And nothing about cost!

#18 1 year ago
  19. KAP

Don’t you just love vg247!
    No info on preowned disc fee for Xbox One!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 There’s only two of us working, give us time.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dragon246

@Red,
    Yeah. I am surprised why did they even bother to show this on Eu prime time and not US one.

#21 1 year ago
  22. shaolinsword

@15 You do have a point but completely ignoring important things like a used game fee, US only live tv etc puts me off, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to a new xbox

#22 1 year ago
  23. CyberMarco

Good job MS, again focusing only on the US territory…

#23 1 year ago
  24. KAP

Sorry mate, didn’t realise.
    The fact they decided to focus on entertainment(casual audience) and not games(core gamer) yet says a lot about where MS’s head is at… Such a god awful shame.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

Ell ooh ell.

This is falling apart fast.

#25 1 year ago
  26. sg1974

This is gutting. I was really looking forward to a new Box and more Forza and Halo. And what do we get? A SKY Plus box which won’t work outside of the US at launch.

Guess my 360 has got a lot more work to give up.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Gheritt White

@25: Indeed.

#27 1 year ago
  28. OlderGamer

I hope the PS4 is good. And delivers.

#28 1 year ago
  29. dizzygear

Every half decent TV comes with a slot to shove a CAM module so you can use the TV’s build in tuner so you have less clutter around your TV.

Yet the almighty XBO needs a presumably overprized add on to do the same. So much for the one box does all marketing drivel eh MS?

#29 1 year ago
  30. DreamCleaver

@13, 17: +1

#30 1 year ago
  31. Templar_Dante

Wheres Monkeygoumet? LMAO

#31 1 year ago
  32. SplatteredHouse

And so it begins: Once the cameras stop rolling – USbox2 confirmed. Heh.

#32 1 year ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Dude, I’m all over these stories! Made a thread for my rage!

Shit tier reveal! :)

#33 1 year ago
  34. stretch215

Lol. I need some shelter for this shitstorm. I’m pretty hyped, honestly, and it looks like I’m the only one here who is. I need to see more games, though. If it can do what was shown, plus play awesome games (which it obviously will) I’m in. I feel they may have made a bad decision focusing so much on the US, but I’m here, so that doesn’t bother me at all. Other than that, I don’t have any other gripes.

#34 1 year ago
  35. viralshag

The idea of just hooking up my TiVo (potentially if it comes to the UK and works like that) to my Xboxo to get an overlay with none of the recording features, essentially just a TV guide, sounds like a complete waste of time.

It just sounds like way more hassle than it’s worth. All I have to do now is push the little HDMI button on my TV remote to switch from gaming to the TV… and use the same remote to find a channel…

To really, it’s a completely useless feature which I just been told about for an hour. Yeah. Great.

#35 1 year ago
  36. _LarZen_

Microsoft is walking dead…

#36 1 year ago
  37. mastertechnician

I don’t understand why Microsoft can’t stream live TV directly from a data connection. TV would become much more affordable.

#37 1 year ago